The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Payment for services rendered
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Payment for services rendered
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Payment for services rendered Reply with quote

Most of my Star Wars gaming experiences have involved working directly for the rebellion. I've never really had need to worry about finances.

I'm running for a group of smugglers now and was wondering what other people have charged/paid out for ship services.

The only real example I can find is from the film and the very vague charter info in the starships section of the main book.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the Tramp Freighters book was helpful to my group - we/I used it to develop some standard calculations to determine how much it costs to keep the ship running over a given time/distance. Then just add some cash for the characters' time and risk, plus a bit of profit (15 - 20% is common, and in line with a lot of businesses in RL). Granted, that's not much use for someone who wants to fine-tune the bid process, but I figure that the worst that can happen is that they make an extra few thousand for a run, which doesn't really unbalance the game. My players always use disposable income to buy toys, gamble it away, drink it, etc. A few grand split between three or more party members doesn't go far.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15-20% profit in RL?

Most companies are happy if they get about a 3% profit margin.

15-20% might be more appropriate for SW Fringers tho. Don't forget that Tramp Freighter Captains serve a niche market in SW. Small quantities of high-speed, high-risk goods to remote locations.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are RL companies that do that poorly (2-3%) and limp along, but plenty do better. If all you were making with a business in recent years (up until this current nastiness) was 3% you'd have been better off investing your capital in a bank CD. Regardless, if I were in a profession that required me to brave the dangers of space then I would want some payola that would give me a healthy ROI. Plus, I suspect that a tramp freighter would probably have a lot of down time to cover - that loan shark still comes a callin' even when business is slow or those cheap-skate rebels sucker you into a high risk/low pay boondogle that eats into valuable shipping/smuggling time. Smile

Anyway, I doubt the players would have much fun scraping by with no hope of riches. If they get too prosperous you can always beat them down with costly bribes, fines, damage, theft, acts of GM, etc.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Out Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters if you can find it. For Drop point deliveries, approx 5-10 credits per ton per day by 2x hyperdrive. Better streetwise rolls can find the more profitable cargo runs.

10 tons of cargo to a planet 1 week away would be 450-900 7 days +1 day for load and 1 for unload. This can be modified with bonuses or fees for early/late delivery, additional payment for dangerous runs.

If players are buying or pirating goods for sale on the black market, buy price on black market in (), modified by bargain rolls.
Legal: .5x (2x)
Fee: 1.5x (3x)
Restricted: 2x (4x)
Illegal 2.5x (5x)
enderandrew
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the players intending to spend the money? Are they working towards a specific goal? How long should it take to reach that goal?

Numbers shouldn't run the story or enjoyment of the game.

Understand that wealth in Star Wars is relative. The players want a faster lightspace drive? Well, you can do 200 boring courier missions, you can assume the players did 200 courier missions and give them the money for free, or even better, you can work in a story hook.

Let's say there is a genius mechanic who can do the job for you. You hunt him down, but he isn't even doing commissions. Price isn't the issue. His daughter was kidnapped and that is all he cares about. Rescue his daughter, and he'll do the upgrade for free.

If players are getting too much wealth and it ruins the story, they can always get boarded by pirates or Imperials, or their hyperdrive can break, etc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:

If players are getting too much wealth and it ruins the story, they can always get boarded by pirates or Imperials, or their hyperdrive can break, etc.

And depending on where they keep the cash and what enemies they have made, those enemies can just steal their cash.. like from what ever banking institution the party uses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: