The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Resources
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Dark Side Resources Reply with quote

I recently had a character fall to the dark side (Nova Starkiller).

I know traditionally this means playing the character as an NPC, but this is a plot device that we are going to play out.

ANybody know where I can find a decent resource on playing a DS character in D6?

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Side Resources Reply with quote

beaumont sebos wrote:
I recently had a character fall to the dark side (Nova Starkiller).

I know traditionally this means playing the character as an NPC, but this is a plot device that we are going to play out.

ANybody know where I can find a decent resource on playing a DS character in D6?

Page 152 of the R&E main rulebook talks about playing Darkside characters. There's also some wonderful stories in the Adventure journals about a very brooding actor who turned to the Dark Side... I'll have to do some digging and found out which AJ he's in.

Found it... AJ #4 The short story "The Final Exit"

Here's the link to the character: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaalib_Brandl
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing as a Dark Side character is simply a no-no in d6 with the RAW. There are some rules (Second Edition page 57, Revised & Expanded page 152), but they're VERY prohibitive, and it is suggested that GMs only allow players to play as Dark Siders if there is an intention to try to atone, and for the GM to take the character after a period of time if they don't succeed. That's just the nature of WEG Star Wars; the Force, and Star Wars, was viewed somewhat more black and white when it was developed.

That said, I do like the idea of a more relaxed concept of the Force, shades of grey and actually playing dark. The easiest thing to do is to treat them like light side characters, ignoring the heavy restrictions WEG provides and maybe change how Force Points work (get them back for Evil rather than good) and make gaining DSPs a little harder (greater evil acts to gain them).

A while ago, I was working on a Force alignment system incorporating light, dark and neutral Force users for PC use. It needs some revision (I've come to understand the Dark side better since its development and I haven't updated it), but it does work. I've tested it in a couple games and it works fairly well, and I think, still maintains many aspects of the setting that I feel are often lost when altering the game.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
enderandrew
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife generally plays Dark Siders when she roleplays online. All she has ever done is freeform online RP. I ran Star Wars D6 games for over a decade, but I've never played with my wife. I want to run a D6 game for her, and normally I'm just not interested in running a campaign where players are evil and commit evil acts. However, I know that she likes to lean dark.

I'm not going to forbid playing dark characters, and in fact I intend to start the campaign with the characters ending up Palpatine's care, being trained somewhat unwittingly as Hands. I'm hoping the rest of the group will eventually want to pull away and play as good characters.

Instead of stealing the character away just because it has dark side points, I would rather tell a good story of atonement and trying to walk a difficult path.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: