The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

a character's age.... does it matter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> a character's age.... does it matter? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: a character's age.... does it matter? Reply with quote

I have a player who wants to play a 80 year old human.

I remember in some of the source books a character's stats would be reduced according to their age.

So my question is multi fold:

1. Do you think it is a good idea to impose these penalites on a player character?

2. At what age would these penalties start to come to play and would they increase with age?

3. I seem to remember a WOTC source book that had a chart for different races and the ages in which they live but can't find it now. Does anybody know which sourcebook this is in?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt impose penalties on characters with old age, i would impose restrictions: no max str, focus on mental abilities.

that way the chrs current state is represented in the stats. but a good player would do that automatically Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall in some Star Wars books people can live to be well over 100 years old and still be fit and vital, especially if they've had the appropriate medical care however fighting personal tend to age normally as the stresses of combat tends to effect the body adversely.

So I guess for me it'd be a question of the character's background but Vong's idea is pretty solid.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only source i saw (someone's print out) had it

65-80 - Str limi 3d+1 without cybernetics, Per min 2d+2, Know min 3d
81-95 - Str lim 3d, Per 3d, know 3d+1
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: a character's age.... does it matter? Reply with quote

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
I have a player who wants to play a 80 year old human.

I remember in some of the source books a character's stats would be reduced according to their age.

1. Do you think it is a good idea to impose these penalites on a player character?

2. At what age would these penalties start to come to play and would they increase with age?

3. I seem to remember a WOTC source book that had a chart for different races and the ages in which they live but can't find it now. Does anybody know which sourcebook this is in?

I don't remember the actual ages, but I do the age categories. (This is D20, by the way since I've never seen anything about it in D6, you can change it for D6 in any way you like)

Middle Aged : -1 STR, DEX, CON, +1 INT, WIS, CHA
Old Age : -2 STR, DEX, CON, +1 INT, WIS, CHA
Venerable: -3 STR, DEX, CON, +1 INT, WIS, CHA

All the penalties and bonuses are cumulative. So someone who was Venerable would get a -6 STR, DEX, and CON and a +3 INT, WIS, CHA

"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For D6, I don't think it matters. A new character is simply given 18 dice to balance among different stats. If you don't choose a template and create your own, then make the STR lower than usual (i.e. 2D) to represent the feeble state of age. Then maybe bump up Knowledge and Perception to 4D, since old people tend to be quite obversvant and intelligent.

In D6 though, it's a game of balance (like Hero), so as long as everyone is balanced, then the stats are justified due to the special effect of age, we're all good.

-shnar
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall stats for Mon Monthma and other older characters with little notes saying that some attributes had been lowered due to age. I think the only reason for this was the fact that Mon's Dex and Str stat had been lowered below the Human racial minimum of 2D.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough call. Generally speaking we expect people to begin slowing down as they get older and no longer be quite as fast or agile as they were when they were younger. But there are exceptions to this rule where we hear of folks being thirty or even forty years older than someone considered to be in the prime of their life and yet they can out preform the younger person, or at least preform just as well as the younger person. It comes from being in exceptionally good health and keeping fit. But at the same time that doesn't work for everyone.

And we're dealing with SW here where different species live different lengths of time. If we really wanted to get down to it, someone within the same species should probably have a subjective age based on the planet their from. A world that has a year that's twice and long as standard should have folks from there taking twice as long to age a year. It'd probably be better to either throw out the effects of aging or to sit down with the player and talk about why their character, once they reach what could be senior citizen age, could still have stats that aren't reduced. Maybe they've got something in their background that explains this.

Or maybe there's a rejuvination process (I seem to recall that from one of the Agents of Chaos books) that doesn't extend one's life span but does allow them to act as if their a younger age.

Wanted Poster
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: a character's age.... does it matter? Reply with quote

Luwingo_Spince wrote:

1. Do you think it is a good idea to impose these penalties on a player character?

No. I don't think they should loose attribute dice. Not unless you are planning on letting them start with more skill dice to reflect all those years of experience. It would be different if players rolled stats like in D20, but since they assign attributes it all balances out. Even in D20 all you do is trade off points in physscical stats for points in mental stats.

I think vong has the right idea. The player should focus his attributes in areas besides STR and DEX, unless he has a really good concept to justify it.

Luwingo_Spince wrote:

Who knows? I would expect the age to vary be species and also by living conditions and technology level. Humans live longer on Earth today than during the Middle Ages. With Star Wars technology, people might live longer still. But then Obi-wan Kenobi was still considered an old man despite being only around 60 in a New Hope.

Luwingo_Spince wrote:

It's in all three editions of the D20 Core books.

D20 SW 1st Edition page 104
D20 SW 2nd Edition page 120
SAGA Edtion Page 110

If you got access to any of these, get the table from 2nd edition or SAGA as it has a few more species added to it than the one from 1st edition.

All three work the same way as D&D. It breakd down the age in to ground of child-young adult-adult-middle age-old-venerable-and ancient.

For humans it is
Child 1-11
Young Adult 12-15
Adult 16-40
Middle Age 41-59
Old 60-79
Venerable 80+

But then, I think those are the exact same numbers and in D&D 3E.
Kira Firestorm
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 80 year old human i would lower there Dex and Str yet increase there Knowledge.

It would simulate growing older makes us slower yet wiser.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would slide dice around on the template, higher knowledge, perception, and possibly technical, lower dexterity, strength, and maybe even mechanical.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i randomly rolled my character and got to play a 16 year old female jedi I only put 2d in str and 2d in knowledge. Maybe it's not wise to play a glass-cannon but 4d in str would be a bit off to me.

I guess it's up to the Gm keeping the players in check. Rules or no rules.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been a fan of imposing mechanics for age... As characters in most RPGs are far out of the ordinary compared to normal 'Joes' anyway, adding age factors seem a bit redundant. Its up to the player and the GM to create a character that fits the age imo.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No. I don't think they should loose attribute dice. Not unless you are planning on letting them start with more skill dice to reflect all those years of experience. It would be different if players rolled stats like in D20, but since they assign attributes it all balances out. Even in D20 all you do is trade off points in physscical stats for points in mental stats.

I cannot remember where i saw it, but one gm did have this as a poss guide.

Since most startig characters are late teens to early 20s, if someone starts out at 30 (human base), they gain 20cp going up 15 additional cp every 5 years.
Once 55 has been hit, they go up 20cp but lose 1 pip from Str/Dex.
At 65, they lose another pip from Str and Dex, but gain 1 pip in Per and Know.
At 75, they stop gaining CP, but gain another pip in Know and Per, but lose a further pip from Str and Dex.
At 90, they gain their final pip in Know and Per.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that limited by racial maximums?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: