The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New game starting, could use ideas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> New game starting, could use ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: New game starting, could use ideas Reply with quote

Ok, so my group wants to do a game where the group are crew members on a luxury liner, solving mysteries. Got any ideas?
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liner starts using a new route which will take them out of hyperspace at various beautiful nebulas, gas giants and comet tails. Before the voyage there is an attempted sabotage.

During the first leg of the voyage, the captain is murdered, causing the XO to take command. PCs have to investigate some NPCs, some are important to solving the case, some are red herrings.

It turns out that the ship has been infiltrated by a number of Imperial Ubiqtorate agents that is trying to get the ship away from the route that is a secret major installation in the nebula. They wil sabotage, subvert and kill to preserve their secret. They will also try to plant a bomb and detonate it as a last resort if the liner manage to find the base.

However, there in another NPC who works from Alliance Intelligence who is trying to use the liner to reach the Imperial installation so he can gather information on it. When PCs discover this they can either help the guy or try to persuade him not to use the civilian ship and put them all in danger.

The Imperial installation can be something like an Executor-class shipyard or a secret listening post with vast data storage or something exotic like one of Palpatine's supertech storage facility.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Alternatly, there couldbe a murder mystery where some one rich and famous who has lots of enemies could be killed, but there is a limited time till the next port of call where a lot of people are scheduled to get off.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty hunter/Assassins trying to capture/kill a high ranking Imperial.

Pirates attacking and boarding the liner to liberate it of it's valuables giving you a limited ship to ship contest followed by a boading action.
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the length of the campaign. Personally, I enjoy having multiple choices open to the PC's. Do they get confided in about a mutiny, and help or or tell the captain and help counter attack.

Are they framed for the murder of a high ranking officer by a lesser to help hatch a plot to take over the ship.

How about a Scooby Doo style haunting, where the caretaker just wants the ship to be decommissioned because he his glitterstim in the walls and cannot get his money until the ship is forfitted.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also there's any number of planetside adventures possible as the ship travels around and they go ashore. And unless they're the captain the ship will leave them behind and it's a long walk between stars. Maybe Han Solo, or some other pilot with a colourful history, will be in the cantina to give them a ride to catch up with the liner. And of course that's never as easy as it sounds. There's always a pirate, or customs frigate, or death star or something in the way.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but watch more Love Boat.
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolol.

Just wiki the episode guide.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great ideas!

I'd thought of the Love Boat too, just not sure how to watch it as it's not on anymore. Maybe my DVR can find it and record it for me... oh god...

I think I'll have to use the episode guide...
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just loveboat, but any good crime solving tv show. Monk, Columbo, The Rockford Files, or any good sleuthing show.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Not just loveboat, but any good crime solving tv show. Monk, Columbo, The Rockford Files, or any good sleuthing show.

There is also something like the show Psych. A comedy/Mystery show where the main character Shawn Spencer has a really high perception (Probably like 3D+2 or 4D) and pretends he is psychic by reading people and surroundings. You could check that show out as well for some idea's. I think it's off the air for a little bit, but I know that the new season will start by next year...so I dunno.

You could also have someone on board the liner start to slowly poison the oxygen supply on the ship and mess with other life support systems, and they have to find out who it is before they reach the next docking port. And after each instance the person could leave a clue/note like the Zodiac killer. And after each time he messes with a more important part. Like maybe right away he just messes with the gravity control for a while, and then he starts to mess with the oxygen.
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Plum, in the Conservatory, with the Candle Stick! Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept. I have 2 suggestions based on previous releases, just in case you don't have them.

1) "The Lap of Luxury." This is a half-page adventure idea in the 1st edition SW RPG rule book on p. 117 that takes place on a luxury liner. This rebel adventure may not be that helpful, but I thought I would mention it. If you don't already have it, I would not suggest buying the book just for this.

2) Riders of the Maelstrom. This is a 1st edition published adventure module. This actually comes with a fold-out full color diagram map (deck by deck) of a Mon Calamari passenger liner, and the rebel story even involves a mystery. Of course the text describes the different areas of the ship. If you are ok with the vessel being a Mon Cal ship and you weren't going to design the ship yourself, then I highly recommend getting this module. Or maybe this could still provide some inspiration for your own ship.

"Riders of the Maelstrom" was also included in the compilation Classic Adventures Volume Three which updated it to 2nd edition (and includes 2 other classic adventures). But that book only has a small black and white version of the passenger liner map.

Have fun on the campaign!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
death_jester
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do an adventure where the liner has some kind of malfunction/sabotage to the gravitational field and the party has to make it from one end of the ship to the other. Think the Poseidon Adventure only in space.

Along the way they have to deal with a free floating pool of water. Perhaps there were people swimming in it that need to be saved. There could be aliens that would have a severe allergic reaction to the water if it touches them also.

Upset passengers looking for loved ones or lost property. Perhaps the players discover that the reason the ship is damaged is because someone brought something on board that they shouldn’t have. “What do you mean you have a Millikanian chaos diamond in your room!!! Don’t you know what that does to gravitational arrays?”

It could be a plot to steal something valuable from the ship and the players have to either stop the theft or get the item back with their superior knowledge of the ship.

The droids could be hostile due to some disorientation with the gravitational fields causing some kind of problem with their programming.

Security could overzealous about keeping everyone where they are to prevent rioting and further problems which only serves to anger the passengers. The players have to step in before someone gets hurt or worse killed in a misunderstanding.

If the situation goes on long enough food may become an issue and the players would have to find a way to get supplies to the vacationers because it is all stored in one part of the ship.

A breach in the hull could be causing issues with the life support one on level and the players have to fix the issue. When they get to the level they discover that “something” has made it’s way into the ship from the outside!

Since space travel is so common and the fields so rarely fail it would be unusual for the ship to have any kind of compensators. A good rational would be to make the emergency equipment rare and or expensive because of the reliability of the machinery.

I hope this helps out a little bit. Since you can’t really do this scenario more than once so go for broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: