The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

First Adventure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> First Adventure Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gev
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: First Adventure Reply with quote

I'm a very new GM, preparing to run my first adventure with two of my friends, one of whom has never rped anything before. I have a couple things I'd like advice on.

1. What is a good beginning adventure? (I was going to do the Pirates of Prexiar, but is there a better one for this situation?)

2. Should I put a GM character in the party, to give them hints and some more manpower?

3. Any other tips or tricks?
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...

#1 - who all is in your group? Jedi? Smugglers? Imperials?

#2 - not unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Of course, this is an opinion. There are those who would say "yes, do." I figure that if the characters look like they're gonna need help, then add one in from time to time... If the GM has a character in the party, the party ends up depending on that character too much and/or that character ends up doing next to nothing...

"Hey... wait... what's (insert GM PC here) doing? Doesn't he get a shot/roll/initiative/etc?"

#3 - Keep the rules in mind. But, like they said in that Pirate movie "We figured they were mostly like guidelines..." i.e. Know the rules as best you can. If the PC's want to do something NOT covered in the rules, assign a difficulty number, and move forward... don't let the rules get in the way of a good game. Very Happy

#4 - have fun. Remember: It's supposed to be fun for EVERYONE. Don't be like one GM I had where each game he ran boiled down to "us v. him".

#5 - tell us how it turns out. Very Happy

Did I miss anything?
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the Pirates of Prexiar, if the characters chosen fit the mission, I would say go with it. You may have to tweak it or adjust it with only two player character's, the one time I ran that, I also had two PC's. They were Rebels and had GM characters with them, but they split into two groups with the GM characters in one, the players in the other. It worked for us, because the players were still 'on their own' but also had back-up since the mission is designed for a few more characters. (up to 6 if I remember right)

Also, always be prepared for your players to do something completely unexpected, especially if they are new to roleplaying.
gev
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Splitting into two groups, huh? Do you mean like the PC characters have to figure out how to get into the camp by themselves, but the GM characters rejoin them in time for the breakout, to give them some more firepower?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gev wrote:
Hmm. Splitting into two groups, huh? Do you mean like the PC characters have to figure out how to get into the camp by themselves, but the GM characters rejoin them in time for the breakout, to give them some more firepower?

I've never run the Pirates of Prexiar scenario, but I have used tactics such as you describe while my characters were assisting some Rebel SpecForce operatives, and I think it turned out well.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The two groups went into the camp together, but once into the camp, they seperated with each group having a different objective. (securing an exit, searching certain tents, securing the cargo, etc.)

Even though they were together, the PC's were the two highest ranking soldiers, so they had to come up with the plan, orders, etc. One of the NPC's was a Mon Calamari, so they put his swimming skills to good use, but the PC's still had to give the orders and see that their plan was carried out.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the P of P adventure in many of my campaigns. I've always used it in the first 5 adventures, and I've always had it turn out different each time. I usually don't use it as a first adventure, because I want to give them a reason to go to the pirate base. That is to say, I give them an adventure where they become personally invested in the cargo.

Once I set up an adventure where the players got a shipping job, and took on the cargo. They got intercepted by the pirates who stole the cargo. Once they got to the drop point (empty handed) they found that this thing had been happening to their employer all the time. Then they tracked down clues to find out who had been tipping off the pirates to the specific shipping routes and stealing the sensitive cargo.

One way or the other, it's a good adventure. But it always works best if the players feel personally invested in why they're going to this base. I could list other examples, if you want.
gev
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story short, it didn't go all that well. Sad

One of my players seemed genuinely bored the whole time. It didn't run very smoothly at all. It's mostly my fault, I think. I got mixed up with ranges and rounds, and I had to use a cheap trick to stop them from dying, which encouraged my players to not take the game seriously. I guess the first adventure is always tough, right? It would have been a lot easier if we'd all had a little more experience.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happens. You make a lot of mistakes at first. Just keep trying, and try not to get too bogged down with the technicalities of the rules.
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
That happens. You make a lot of mistakes at first. Just keep trying, and try not to get too bogged down with the technicalities of the rules.

I agree, When in doubt use "The Golden Rule" Just pick a difficulty number and have them role the dice.
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was your first time at bat - you don't need to hit a home run every time! Don't let this discourage you, keep at it. Soon you will see that your games develop a steady flow which is fun for everyone.

gev wrote:
One of my players seemed genuinely bored the whole time.

This most likely wasn't your fault. At the end of the game its a role playing GAME. Game being the operative word - you get out exactly what you put into it. If that player was acting that way s/he probably wasn't giving it a proper chance. Forgetaboutit and keep playing despite this person. Wink
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the things i encourage in the groups i play in is criticism. i always let my players talk to me when they have a problem with the game, more than just "my dice weren't rolling right." while this isn't for everyone, (you need to really be patient) it can help if you know to take the complaints of the players and tweak your gm'ing.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And most people need the encouragement to critisize.

And, of course, a lot of people don't take critisism well, either.

Good for you- that attitude will make your game better.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gev wrote:
Long story short, it didn't go all that well. Sad

One of my players seemed genuinely bored the whole time. It didn't run very smoothly at all. It's mostly my fault, I think. I got mixed up with ranges and rounds, and I had to use a cheap trick to stop them from dying, which encouraged my players to not take the game seriously. I guess the first adventure is always tough, right? It would have been a lot easier if we'd all had a little more experience.

Don't get too discouraged. It takes time and experience to become a good GM. As you mentioned with your first post, you're VERY new, so you can't expect perfection (or even GOOD) when you first start out.

Some things to keep in mind:
When you're starting new with GMing, don't try to run your own character. You're going to have enough on your plate already without having to deal with what your particular character is going to do. I'm generally against GMPCs, but I can certainly say that you don't need to be dealing with them when you're cutting your teeth on GMing.

Keep your combats simple and straightforward. You said you mixed up ranges and rounds. Take some time, outside of the game, to run through a simple "Rebel soldier against a Stormtrooper" combat, so you can get the feel for how things work. When you get the ranges and rounds down, followed by the damage and wounds, then increase the difficulty of your test sessions with 2 Rebels vs. 3 Stormtroopers. Do these when your players aren't around, so you can see how well things flow and you can work out any problems you might have. If you have a question about how something works, then post the question here. I'm sure someone will help out.

Remember what Star Wars is. Star Wars is fun. It's action. It's blasters and chases. It's flying to other planets and seeing aliens. When you do your adventure, keep this in mind. Design your adventure to be insanely fun and to highlight all of the neat things about Star Wars. One of the reasons you may have had a bored player (and I'm not saying this is the reason, just one possibility) is that you were taking this adventure too seriously. You may have been trying so hard to have an in-depth, mentally stimulating adventure that you missed the "fun". So, for the first few times, have fun with things! Throw in chases, throw in rocketpacks and speeders. Throw in lots of blaster fights and strafing starfighters and things that are Star Wars!

Finally, remember that you're going to make mistakes. No new GM is perfect. No experienced GM is perfect. Mistakes happen. Don't get discouraged from one or two attempts. GMing is harder than it looks, as I'm sure you've discovered. So keep reading the rules, keep things simple, practice on your own to help you get a better handle of how the system runs, and keep trying. If, after several attempts, things just aren't working out, then maybe GMing isn't for you. Not everyone can be one. Don't take it personally...that's just the way it is in gaming. But give yourself enough chances so that you know one way or another.
gev
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million for the advice, guys. Very Happy

I'm gonna try to run "Tatooine Manhunt" next, I think. I'll prepare a little more this time, and hopefully it'll be more fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: