The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars scale, conversion to Star Warriors & Victory P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Star Wars scale, conversion to Star Warriors & Victory P Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverback
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Star Wars scale, conversion to Star Warriors & Victory P Reply with quote

I've been converting various vessels from the Star Wars rpg, using the companion, to the Star Warriors game. I've come unstuck when trying to convert Capital scale ships between the two as there's no mention in the companion for converting the scale aspect of the larger Star Wars ships.

Do you add the 6D modifier (Capital 12D - Starfighter 6D) to some of the capital class ships codes first? If so, which ones? I'd think that:

Crew Skill: No
Maneuverability: No
Space: No
Hull: Yes
Shields: Maybe
Weapons: No

So if anyone can help or has any thoughts on this they'd be very welcome!

Last edited by Silverback on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wrestled with that problem on and off for some time. I agree with your application of scale that you listed. Shields, I think, should not enjoy the entire +6D scale enhancement, simply because they tend to make cap ships stronger to an unbalanced degree, even against capital scale weaponry. However, I've compromised by simply giving them double the number of shield markers a starfighter scale ship would get, to make them somewhat more powerful.

Up until recently I had been using the regular 2nd Ed die cap and calculating a % change based on that - cumbersome! The 2nd ed. R&E
is a lot cleaner, even though it has its own drawbacks.
Silverback
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt response. Just something else I forgot to ask, unless it's mentioned elsewhere, is whether the Space speed of 2nd Ed directly convert to the Die Code for 1st Ed.? For example the Executor has Space 4 - is this equivalent to a Sublight Die Code of 4?

The way I've been currently finding Max Speed is to find another vessel that already appears in Star Warriors then cross reference back to the RPG books to find the vessel that has the same Space value. With the Executor the closest vessel I can find is the Lambda class shuttle with Space 5 therefore Max Speed 4. This suggests that the Executor probably moves at a Max Speed of 3.

However, if you make the Space = Sublight Die Code assumption, then the Executor Max Speed is 6. A difference of 3.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might find these useful:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1M4QNGM0

It's a set of conversion tables I created for Star Warriors based on all the official info I could find.

And regarding 1st edition Speed Dice, no, the conversion is not direct like that. I don't quite remember how it goes, but it's much more esoteric.
Silverback
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
. . . And regarding 1st edition Speed Dice, no, the conversion is not direct like that. I don't quite remember how it goes, but it's much more esoteric.

I may need to track down a 1st Ed sourcebook off eBay! Sad
Silverback
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have also realised that I can't figure out how Victory Points for 'new' ships are calculated. It doesn't say how in Star Warriors. Unless I missed it.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I strongly suspect that WEG was utterly arbitrary when assigning victory points. Unless you can devise an over riding system that could apply universally, it may be easiest to simply do the same - assign victory points as you see fit and hope for the best.
Silverback
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling that might be the case. More emphasis seems to be placed on the cost of the piloting and gunner skills than the vessels themselves. At least Star Warriors has a fair few ships that you can use to make a close guesstimate as to how many VPs to assign.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverback wrote:
I may need to track down a 1st Ed sourcebook off eBay! Sad

I don't know that using this 1st edition method for finding Max Speeds is the way to go. I do suggest using the conversion table I posted, which takes into account all the Star Warriors stats presented in all of WEG's supplements.
Silverback
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I don't know that using this 1st edition method for finding Max Speeds is the way to go. . .

I meant for finding the relationship between the old Sublight Die Codes and the new fixed Space rating.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... but why would you need that? All 1st edition ships are featured in 2nd edition stats.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st edition speed dice to 2nd edition move rating is as follows:
Code = Move
0d = 1
1 = 1
2 = 1
1D = 2
1D+1 = 2
1D+2 = 3
2D = 4
2D+1 = 4
2D+2 = 5
3D = 6
3D+1 = 6
3D+2 = 7
4D = 8
4D+1 = 8
4D+2 = 9
5D = 10
5D+1 = 10
5D+2 = 11
6D = 12

As you can see, it is a little....weird. Anywhere from 1 to 3 pips different, with the average at about 2, for the speed change. Hopefully this helps.
Silverback
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you manage to dig that up from Grimace? If you say the 2nd Ed R&E version I'll kick myself!

EDIT:

There does appear to be a pattern in it when you get to 1D:

2,2,3,4,4,5,6,6,7,8,8,9,10,10,11,12 . . .

which leads me to think that it would continue as:

. . . 12,13,14,14,15,16,16 . . . .

A sequence of two numbers the same, increase the next number by one, increase by one, no increase - rinse and repeat.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the back of the 2nd edition (blue book with Vader on cover) book. Since it was the first edition right after ...uh... 1st edition, they had a couple pages on how to convert the 1st to the 2nd. The speed conversions were in there.

They didn't include the conversion charts in the back of the 2nd ed R&E book, though, so you weren't going to find them in that book.
Silverback
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
. . . They didn't include the conversion charts in the back of the 2nd ed R&E book, though, so you weren't going to find them in that book.

What an oddball decision to make. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: