The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Deflecting blasters with a light sabre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Deflecting blasters with a light sabre
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wulfgar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Deflecting blasters with a light sabre Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out which edition to get, I've been operating on the premise that all of the West end games are way simpler than Saga Edition, but this comment posted on another forum has me wondering:

Referring to Revised and Expanded:

Quote:
Yeah, it was awesome. The way the force worked was great, too, though it could get complicated with all the die rolls and action modifiers jedi characters could get. e.g. just to deflect a blaster bolt back at a stormtrooper required a Sense and Alter roll for the force skill "lightsaber combat", a lightsaber parry roll to beat the stormtrooper's accuracy roll, and an Alter roll for the "telekenesis" skill to direct the blaster bolt back to the stormtrooper.

That's sounds like a lot of rolls and something that would really slow down the game during combat. Of course someone else chimed in after this to say:

Quote:
I didn't think it was that difficult to deflect a blast back. I thought it was the difference between the target number and the hit of the stormtrooper

So my Star Wars experts- which is it?
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, it is closer to the first example.

Check out Gry's Force Power's book ... page 18... it's got a great example of how the rules say to run it...

However, I'd say just wing it and move on if you're looking for a more cinematic effect...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTB it is supposed to go

1) first roll control and sense to activate light saber combat. This can be done anytine the player wants to, but he will have 2d off all other skills while maintaining LS combat

2) make lightsaber parry roll, adding in control to the dice (-2d for maintaining LS combat) to deflect the bolt shot at you. If you succeed you can then proceed to step 3.

3) make control roll at -3d (2d for keeping up LS combat, -1d for making a parry roll) to REFLECT the bolt back at the target using his weapon's ranges as your distances. If your control roll beats his dodge (or the range diff if he is not dodging) treat it as if you just SHOT him with that weapon.
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Control (not Alter) and Sense rolls are made usually at the beginning of the combat and kept up. So once the blasts start flying it's not like you have to keep rolling everytime.

Then come the deflection itself. If somebody would get shot and reply with his blaster, it would take two rolls. Well same with a ligtsaber, the blaster bolt just doesn't belong to you! That is, you roll to parry the attack, and you roll control (not alter), to send the shot back to where you want.

So in my opinion it doesn't slow down the game much. Go WEG!
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To deflect a blaster bolt is pretty simple... Lightsaber Combat just has to be active first (requiring a Control and a Sense roll to bring it up previously in the encounter).

With Lightsaber Combat active, the Jedi can add their Sense dice to their Lightsaber skill roll to attack, parry, deflect or what have you. Additionally, they can add (or subtract) their Control dice to the Lightsaber's damage.

To deflect a blaster bolt, well, there are two options, bat it aside and it goes off wherever it goes, or you can try to deflect the bolt at something (often at the attacker, sometimes some other target). To do the first, you simply roll your Lightsaber skill (plus Sense if you choose, and most do). If your roll is higher than the attacker's Blaster roll, you parry the bolt away (usually it effectively disappears and is forgotten rather than paying attention to where it went off to and what it hit... unless there was a Complication on the WD or something).

To deflect the bolt at a target, you do the same thing: roll Lightsaber (+ Sense) vs. Blaster. If you succeed the roll, you can then roll Control to aim the bolt. The difficulty is based on range (the range of the blaster that was fired), and it works just like a Blaster skill roll; if you meet the range (or Dodge) difficulty, you hit, if not, you miss. Just don't forget that an aimed deflection counts as another action in the round and incurrs a MAP.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three replies in 4 minutes all saying the same thing... nice Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:

However, I'd say just wing it and move on if you're looking for a more cinematic effect...

That's kind of what I do. I slim things down quite a lot for ease of play. I don't much like clunky combat mechanics.
Darth Mischevious
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a staunch D6 fan since first edition Star Wars first came out.

Haven't tried WOTC's first two attempts at D20 Star Wars.

I did GM Star Wars Saga Edition fairly recently, and it really does play at a fast and cinematic pace, the players really liked it and had fun, and the Jedi really really rock... it plays like the movies, most particularly like the more recent prequel trilogy. Arguably, D6 doesn't handle them particularly well, because WEG had lost the licence before these films were released and D6 wasn't originally designed to represent the powers that the Jedi were later shown to possess. Or indeed the frenetic pace of the later films.

However... I still can't really say that I like the typical D20 "hit point bloat" that is an implicit part of any D20 game system. There are some great ideas in Saga that I will probably port over into my next D6 campaign... and Saga is the only currently "live and kicking" Star Wars game, but I hate the levels and hit points stuff.

My own next Star Wars is likely to be more like first edition D6 with things like force powers (and the force cards available on the net) borrowed from Saga, because many of the force rules in D6 are slow and tedious and do require too many dice rolls in my opinion.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Three replies in 4 minutes all saying the same thing... nice Smile

Don't ya just love us!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: