The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New GM Help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> New GM Help Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themuffinman1201
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: New GM Help Reply with quote

Okay I played my first adventure a few days ago and everything went fine, except I didn't feel like they were challenged at all. I didn't throw much at them, but I didn't want to overwhelm them. The only challenge was taking on one of those spider droids with a 9D blaster damage, but that nearly killed one of the characters. Any tips?

And also when calling on the dark side what determines how many dice you roll?
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem is that the D6 has a very small sweet spot at about 4D-5D in dice pools, after that doing everything becomes very easy for the characters or if you up the challenges, characters die too easily.

Look up some of the alternative rules from Rules of Engagement, because they are pretty good. Also, have enemies be smart. Stormtroopers aren't dumb except when they are led by idiots.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please describe the party. What are their blaster and dodge skills at (approximately)?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wuold like to know more of the rest of the characters stats.. eg what were their strengths, were any wearing armor??
themuffinman1201
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so far there are two characters. Soon to be a third (he is on vacation right now). These are their current stats after one adventure

Zeke - Bounty Hunter
Dex 4D
Blaster 5D
Dodge 5D+1

Per 3D
Search 4D
Hide 4D

Kno 2D+2

Str 3D+2
Stamina 4D+2

Mechanical 2D+2

Technical 2D
Blaster Repair 3D
First Aid 3D

He has a blast vest (1D phy +1 energy) and a rifle (5D) and also miscellaneous items

Sunake - Clawdite

Dex 4D
Blaster 5D
Dodge 5D
Melee 5D (Note: I combined melee parry and melee combat into one skill)
Running 5D

Perception 4D+1
Sneak 5D+1
Con 5D+1
Con:disguise 5D+2
(A) Shapeshift 1D

Kno 2D

Str 3D+2
Stamina 4D+2

Mechanical 2D

Technical 2D

Heavy blaster (5D) Vibroblade (6D w/strength)

The other character will be a jedi, but I don't know the stats yet.

And I also created a GM droid character to spice up the campaign. Its skills are mediocre I just made it to have some fun.

My best idea would make a non combat oriented mission. Maybe something that requires a lot of security rolls because they are lacking in those areas. Or I could have them use their knowledge skill.

I also have a few general questions:
1.) When calling on the dark side what determines how many dice you roll?
2.) What roll opposes con? Is it perception?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Perception is what one uses to resist Con, or they can use their own Con skill.

As for calling on the Dark Side, according to page 86 of the 2E R&E corebook, one earns a DSP as soon as they make the attempt to call on the Dark Side, whether they succeed or not, and if successful, they get a Force Point which must be spent immediately, in addition to any other Force Points they may or may not have already spent.
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to answer the question, to succeed in calling the Dark Side you roll your Perception Attribute. I think the difficulty is Easy or Moderate, something like that.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When calling on the dark side, the force sensitivity staus determins the diff for the perception check.

A force sensitive has an easy time of it, but depending on what he will be doing with the DSP given force point, depends on whether it is the low or high side of the easy bracket.

Non force sensitives have a moderate diff.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: New GM Help Reply with quote

themuffinman1201 wrote:
Okay I played my first adventure a few days ago and everything went fine, except I didn't feel like they were challenged at all. I didn't throw much at them, but I didn't want to overwhelm them. The only challenge was taking on one of those spider droids with a 9D blaster damage, but that nearly killed one of the characters. Any tips?

What sort of tips are you looking for. In my opinion, what you challenged them with provided enough difficulty without being too difficult. You had one PC that was almost killed, but otherwise the group managed to stay alive. That's a decent outcome for a night of challenges. Unless you're looking for a path of dead PCs with one last battered and beaten PC standing there, bleeding but victorious, then you don't really need to "up" the difficulty level much.

A lot of times the difficulty of something can be tweaked slightly by increasing numbers. For example, if you toss 4 stormtroopers at the the group and they manage to breeze through that too easily, then toss a couple more in next time. If 4 is defeated without much problem, how easily defeated are 6? Or 8?

If the spider type droid nearly killed one, you can keep it just as 1 until they get more skilled, then toss a second one at them. Two at the same time is more difficult than one.

Also realize that sometimes the challenges don't have to be "shooting" challenges. If you do that too much, you get characters advancing in their blaster only and not much variety with the PCs. So sometimes you need to throw other challenges at them. To use a humorous but very pertinent challenge from the movie "Galaxy Quest", you could have a hallway filled with "crunching, chomping things" that the PCs have to get through. No shooting involved, just dexterity or acrobatics or whatever else the PCs can think of. In order to really "push" them through the challenge, throw an overwhelming amount of things chasing after them. If the PCs can defeat 10 stormtroopers with fairly easy challenge, have 50 stormtroopers chasing after them. That gives them the option of fighting and possibly dying against so many or running and facing the non-shooting challenge. The "chomping" challenge is just an example, but it illustrates my point. Give them challenges that don't involve shooting, but rely on other skills that they have to use. Perhaps a locked door they have to get into. Or an open chasm they have to swing across, or some such thing like that.

Since you only have two players right now, you need to look for individual challenges to be 1 or 2D higher than a single PC to give the PCs a "barely there" challenge. Increase it to 3 to 4D higher than the PCs best skill and now you have a decent challenge for the PCs. If the bad guy is less than the PCs dice, then you need to add multiples in order to create challenge. 1 to 2D less than the PCs, add 1 to make it even. Add 2 more to provide a bit of a challenge. Add 4 more to provide more of a challenge and so on.

Once you get 3 players, you'll have to increase the numbers or the die codes for the bad guys. Of course if you have non-shooting challenges this isn't a problem. You can set the difficulty based on the rough estimate of the PCs dice in the required skill. If the best one has only 3D in the skill, then putting the difficulty to overcome at 25 is going to be a SEVERE challenge. Especially when you consider that each PC might have to overcome the difficulty. If they only have to beat the difficulty once, and someone has the skill, it might not be bad, but if you have each one needing to overcome the challenge (such as climbing a cliff) you might want to base your difficulty on how challenging you want it to be. Is the cliff really hard? Is it meant to be damaging to the PCs? Then put the climbing difficulty at 15 or 20. If you just want this to be more of a time consuming challenge, maybe with some additional troubles, make the difficulty easier, like 10 or 12. If they get the 10 or 12 too easily, require additional rolls because the cliff is higher than 20 or so meters. A big cliff requires more rolls. Knowing that they may be able to make the difficulty means that you might throw in some minor problems. Say they anger a flying creature whose nest is on the cliff. So now they have a flying creature swooping in on them, basically being an annoyance that increases the difficulty up to 15 or so.

Other challenges could be chases in speeders or on ships. Usually speeders is safer, as there typically isn't a lot of blaster mounted on speeders (at least the civilian types) and it'll require non-combat rolls to get them away safely.

Hopefully this helps.
Farlight
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. IMO, For a first adventure it sounds that you challenged them sufficiantly.

If you need to make things more challenging, try adding cover, obsticles and terrain modifiers into the combat. Stormtroopers are much more difficult to locate, target, and hit if they are prone or have cover. PC's can also take advantage of this to avoid being hit.

If regular stormtroopers are still too easy, try giving them a leader with Command Skill and use group combat tactics. Combined fire can make even regular Stormies VERY nasty and challenging.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

always try to play your NPC's as player characters. make enimes run for cover in a firefight like Farlight said. even armored characters don't stand in the middle of the street like a target. also try to add personality, even if it is only one personality descriptor. this should help keep your players interested, even if you don't think things went well.
mastereji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: experience is the key Reply with quote

Ive gamemastered star wars and multiple other game systems for over 20 plus years. Since you are new at gming i think you are going about it the right way by planning things out and having set encounters. As you get more experience and time under your belt you will come to realize one very very important constant in the gaming process: you can pretty much count on the pcs never doing/acting the way you think they will or how you envision them to act. So i usually just have some quick notes written down, some basic stats for npcs and baddies (along with a list of random names - believe me you will appreciate it), and a really basic outline of what id like to have happen but i also try to foresee multiple outcomes that the pcs will come up with. Also dont feel like you have to stick to your adventure exactly how you have planned it. Feel free to just randomly change up things as the night progresses. Id say that i freelance (or "wing it") my adventures 90-95% of the time.

An example that i can give is: your pcs are facing down the blaster rifles of say 5 stormtroopers and you find they are having way too easy of a time dispatching them, just have another squad show up. They do have tongue-activated comlinks in their armor and could easily call for backup, of course, depending upon where they are.

So basically, Id suggest for your first few adventures at least, stick to your basic overall adventure plan. As you get to know your players and how they play their pcs youll eventually just get used to "winging" things.
I hope I have helped you in some small way. Good luck!
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of adventure modules were put out, including revisions of classic campaigns. Even if you don't use the material verbatim, it saves a lot of work & can provide possible ideas for new missions.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the emphasis on the game away from fighting toward why the characters are fighting and what they are fighting for. Sometimes the players can win their fight, but fail to reach their goals because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time (such as being tricked into attacking a target when their real objective was some other thing that the enemy seizes while they are busy wasting time on the fake objective). When the players realize it doesn't only matter that they fight well and that they will need more than a blaster to achieve their goals, they'll start branching out in skills.

Basically, if you want them to raise things like cultures, alien species, languages, etc. you have to make those skills relevant to the action of the story.

Or if you just want them to lose a fight, get them into a space battle and their pathetic base MECH scores will sort that out in short order.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all points and advice given. In my own campaigns I've often drawn on non-combat skills and even obscure skills to provide flavor, variety, and challenge. Want to really mix things up? Toss in a Beast Riding or even a Swimming challenge and see how things pan out. Beast Riding is always good for a laugh, if nothing else.

Stormies are probably the best recurring villains, since you can play them as smart or as dumb as the situation requires. Players mowing through legions of the boys in white? Toss in some smoke. Trooper armor is equipped with MFTAS which negates vision penalties and provides bonuses to hit moving targets (i.e. pretty much any dodging character). Still not enough of a challenge? Well, Stormtroopers don't operate in a vacuum and aren't afraid to call in reinforcements, artillery, air strikes, or even orbital bombardment in extreme situations.

I guess the point is, there are virtually unlimited options available, given a bit of preparation and imagination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: