The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Off the wall player actions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Off the wall player actions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venlyss_Pnorr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Didn't he also die?

Indeed he did. If they weren't killed by the blast, then falling masonry did them in. Due to the incredibly dim actions of the PCs involved the GM felt he had no obligation to help them out of the scrape they had got into. The only PC to survive that adventure unsurprisingly deserted the group and made good his escape at approximately the same time that the rest were playing 'catch the detonator'.

The bizarre thing is the guy with the TD really thought he was doing the right thing by trying to help out the PC droid in that fashion. Guess he should have researched TDs a little more.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the blast radius is generally much greater then a characters throwing distance.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an NPC who was to be a major villain. He had minor force training, but he used those powers wisely enough to make himself appear far more powerful than he really was. In time, he had built up such a reputation of power that nobody doubted him. He had even used his vast finances to acquire a brocken lightsaber (which he was not trained to use) and an authentic jedi robe... claiming to have killed the jedi himself.

Eventually, the PCs had their first face-to-face encounter with this npc inside the npcs fortress. While in the middle of a great villain speech, the PCs all used force points and threw everything at the npc (arming themselves with whatever they could grab nearby). The npc attempted to 'call upon the dark side', but failed his roll... and continued to roll very poorly. Needless to say, this npc which I had built up so much dropped like a ton of bricks... leaving the PCs scratching their heads and thinking that the "real" villain was still alive somewhere.

Another time... we had a merc in our group. He was loaded to the gills with weapons, including a whole belt of thermals. We were engaged in a lengthy space battle and the merc was very bored... lacking any useable starship skills. Being a smart-a$$, he started cooking breakfast during the fight. The ship ended up taking enough damage that the crew who were not strapped in began getting knocked around. The merc was asked to make a dex roll and rolled a 1 on the wild die... BOOM!
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh, such variety!

Such makes for very memorable games!
TheCrazyDuro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group had encountered a new major NPC villain. The NPC had wanted to collect his brother for Monetary and Political reasons. Just so he wouldn't take away his brother(who was a very beloved NPC), our Barabel shockboxer rolled a con check to convince the NPC villain that he was also his brother so he could be taken away instead of the NPC Ally.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the NPC also a Barabel?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building up to the climactic final battle of a chronicle I had 4 players - 3 jedi and 1 bounty hunter. Throughout the chronicle I had kept the main antagonists just out of reach to the point my players were more than a little anxious to get to grips with them.
Anyways, they had devised a extremely detailed plan about how they were going to assault the main complex and engage the bossmen tactically, etc, etc. As everyone knows, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy and their detail plans were thrown out in favour of "Get 'em!!!!" when the final confrontation came.
The 3 jedi were hard pressed by their Sith adversaries and the BH needed to stop a device from ruining the ecosystem for the planet they were on. He headed for it but was stopped short by the Sith gunbunny who grappled him successfully and started into a big speech about how the PCs sucked, etc. and would fail.
I asked: "You're grappled and pinned, the console is still about 10m away. What do you do?"
Without missing a beat the PC replied: "I activate my jump-pack and slam us both, full speed, into the console."

I just looked at him for a second and replied: "Hey, you can't... okay man, whatever you like. Make the pilot roll." He did, with massive penalties and the use of force point. Destroyed the console and device, killed the Sith that was grappling with him, and saved all life on the planet while only managing to receive a Mortal Wounding for his trouble. The other Sith were then defeated or ran away and the other PCs managed to stabalize him.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a jetpack actually helping a player fulfill his mission and saving his life?! As far as the movies and my own games go, those things are strap-on death traps.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Gry. Just look at Jodo Kast.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Wow, a jetpack actually helping a player fulfill his mission and saving his life?! As far as the movies and my own games go, those things are strap-on death traps.

Well, spending a Force point at a dramatically appropriate moment for a heroic and selfless purpose marks the exception of jet pack usage, not the rule. Laughing
And in fairness, the jet pack, while contributory, didn't save his life so much as the armoured meat-cushion that he turned the sith bounty hunter into did. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering how the sith tackled him. From the description it seemed he took him down, but if the jetpack was pointed at the console would that not infer that the sith was on HIS back with the pc on him??
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am wondering how the sith tackled him. From the description it seemed he took him down, but if the jetpack was pointed at the console would that not infer that the sith was on HIS back with the pc on him??

Not so much: PC is running towards the console, gets tackled and grappled, PC 'aims' himself at the console and sparks up the jet pack, they both accelerate towards to the console and at the last second, PC cuts the jet pack out and ducks his head. Sith goes headfirst into it and the PCs tumbles in behind him. He rolled crazy high (like 42 or 45 if I remember) so I allowed it.
kyledon Mystic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is awesome, and was probally alot of fun. Now some people seem to forget that SWD6 is a simple system not bogged down with rules. So sometimes some pretty crazy stuff can happen. I think that is what makes the game so much fun.

Good job I bet you all were laughing so hard your stomaches hurt. Laughing
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, I was actually blown away at first. I pride myself as a GM on having a good idea of how my players will react - we've gamed together for a while now. But this completely threw me for a loop! Players were high-fiving and laughing, and I was shaking my head. It was one of our "great moments" in gaming history.
TheCrazyDuro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really weird, a few weeks ago during game they were fighting a group of mercanaries. Not to uncommon, basic group enemies. Well, they had one character unconcious and one mercanary use a grappling hook to get through the glass skylight onto the roof.
Jedi follows. Some words are exchanged. And the jedi takes a swing and amputates his foot and part of his shin. So after they figure out what went down, by interrogating this guy, they feel bad for him so they take him as part of the crew and spend thousands of credits on getting him a new leg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: