The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber vs. Bowcaster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lightsaber vs. Bowcaster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMT
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Lightsaber vs. Bowcaster Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've a question that, so far, I haven't found an answer to whilst searching the forums. So, here goes:

Can a lightsaber parry a standard bowcaster shot? I know this question is going to come up in my game, so I want to address it now. Here's everything I have thought of, for and against:

Yes: The bowcaster quarrel is wrapped in energy, and lightsabers parry energy bolts.

No: Beneath the energy envelope, the bowcaster shot is still a physical bolt or quarrel, and lightsabers don't parry physical shots (like bullets.)

The game handbook says nothing at all about this. Whenever it discusses parrying shots with a lightsaber (such as when describing the Force power Lightsaber Combat) it always uses the phrase "blaster."
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber vs. Bowcaster Reply with quote

GMT wrote:

No: Beneath the energy envelope, the bowcaster shot is still a physical bolt or quarrel, and lightsabers don't parry physical shots (like bullets.)

The game handbook says nothing at all about this. Whenever it discusses parrying shots with a lightsaber (such as when describing the Force power Lightsaber Combat) it always uses the phrase "blaster."

My thought is thus: If it can parry the energy, then the quarrel hitting the lightsaber is pretty much going to be destroyed, knocked awry, etc... either way, with a successful parry, the Jedi isn't going to be hurt...

Keep in mind: bullets are a LOT smaller and a LOT faster than (normal) quarrels. Knowing that, it would take a LOT more coordination to deflect one. Now, if you're looking at "parry" as a simple deflection, then, no, you can't "parry" a quarrel, per se. BUT, if you're looking at "parry" as "let me knock this/destroy this so I don't take damage", then yes, in the broader definition, a quarrel from a bowcaster can be parried.

Last edited by PsiberDragon on Mon May 12, 2008 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I say a Jedi can parry a bowcaster shot, though he surely can't redirect the shot after that. On a particularly dubious roll, I'd have the Jedi receive a bit of splash damage from the bowcaster's shot bursting on contact with the lightsaber.
GMT
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber vs. Bowcaster Reply with quote

If the crossbow shot was slow enough (depending on the range fired) and the Jedi was ready for it, I could see using TK to simply grab and stop (or cause to miss) the bolt. Here, though, I am thinking of an entirely unpowered, physical quarrel.

PsiberDragon wrote:
GMT wrote:

My thought is thus: If it can parry the energy, then the quarrel hitting the lightsaber is pretty much going to be destroyed, knocked awry, etc... either way, with a successful parry, the Jedi isn't going to be hurt...

Keep in mind: bullets are a LOT smaller and a LOT faster than (normal) quarrels. Knowing that, it would take a LOT more coordination to deflect one. Now, if you're looking at "parry" as a simple deflection, then, no, you can't "parry" a quarrel, per se. BUT, if you're looking at "parry" as "let me knock this/destroy this so I don't take damage", then yes, in the broader definition, a quarrel from a bowcaster can be parried.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say he can block the shot which should stop most of the damage, any fragments are unlikely to cause more than minor flesh wounds.

Unless the quarrel is an explosive quarrel then it's likely to be a really bad idea to try and parry.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I'd say he can block the shot which should stop most of the damage, any fragments are unlikely to cause more than minor flesh wounds.

Unless the quarrel is an explosive quarrel then it's likely to be a really bad idea to try and parry.

Depends on the triggering mechanism. If its an impact sensor, you could (potentially) cut it BEFORE it goes off, rendering it moot

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

Depends on the triggering mechanism. If its an impact sensor, you could (potentially) cut it BEFORE it goes off, rendering it moot

Indeed but if the explosive is reactive to heat then you'd better make an awesome roll.

GMT
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is shooting explosive bowcaster quarrels at you, and you can see them (or at least see their bowcaster) and you are a Force user that knows telekinesis, I would rather just crush the bowcaster telekinetically and hope a live explosive quarrel goes off in their face.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
vong wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

Indeed but if the explosive is reactive to heat then you'd better make an awesome roll.

True, but many explosives are not triggered by heat.

All in all, deflection (redirection) of a bowcaster quarrel is unlikely... chances are it would be destroyed and the energy envelope would dissipate without the quarrel as a nucleus. Blocking it, yeah, sure, no problem... much like blocking any other energy or material projectile.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

All in all, deflection (redirection) of a bowcaster quarrel is unlikely... chances are it would be destroyed and the energy envelope would dissipate without the quarrel as a nucleus. Blocking it, yeah, sure, no problem... much like blocking any other energy or material projectile.

Agreed, but it's worth noting that a bowcaster could be customized to make a fairly successful anti-jedi weapon depending on the type of quarrels used.

GMT
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well, I guess I will have to adjudicate the situation as it happens. There are good arguments here for and against being able to block a bowcaster shot with a saber. I think I will just do what I mentioned earlier; there is no need for the Force user to worry about blocking bowcaster shots if he or she can simply jerk the bowcaster away from its wielder, or just smash it with the Force as Asajj Ventrass did to clone troopers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: