The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Does these Jedi Outcast/Academy scenarios warrant a DSP?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Does these Jedi Outcast/Academy scenarios warrant a DSP? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Does these Jedi Outcast/Academy scenarios warrant a DSP? Reply with quote

I've been playing Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy the past few days, and I've been thinking about something. Take a location where there are a lot of ledges or open spaces in the game. For instance, Nar Shaddaa and Bespin from Jedi Outcast, and Kril'dor and Coruscant from Jedi Academy. Consider these scenarios:

1. I use Force push, knock the merc/trooper off a ledge, and they fall to their death. I hear their scream, which either cuts off abruptly, or it fades away.

2. Take the area in Bespin right after you defeat the first Reborn. You're at the ledge where you would have to jump on the air vents to get across the big gap. Rodian mercs come running and jump onto the air vents in order to get across. As they're airborne, I use Force push to knock them off their trajectory. Result - they fall to their death.

3. I've never done this, but I could use Force Grip to pick up an enemy, immobilizing them. I swing to the left or right, and the opponent is hovering over empty space. Then I let go.

4. Towards the end of the games, Force Push and Force Pull become strong enough that you can literally fling opponents across the room. When I do this sometimes, the opponent goes flying across the room and hit the wall. When they fall to the ground, they don't get up. They're dead.

Now, if these were RPG scenarios, would any of these scenarios warrant a DSP? Personally, I'm inclined to say yes to all of them. But I'd like to see what the public has to say.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played these video games, but I'll see what I can come up with.

1. Depends. If you do it just for the hell of it, sure. Under combat situations, where there's no other way to get him to stop trying to kill you, no, but I would want you to try to use the Force to take his weapon away or something first. If you're not in any kind of immediate danger, then yeah, DSP.

2. I might argue some kind of immediate danger thing could get you out of it, but that doesn't sound like the case, so yeah DSP.

3. Definitely DSP. Against people, mind you. If we're talking battle droids or something, fling them around all you want. As I said, I've never played the game, so I don't know what kind of bad guys you fight.

4. Yep, DSP. See answer to #3.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played (and loved) the games. But yes, just about half the game is DSP worthy. Not to mention the stuff that goes on in internet capture the flag games. WEG made it pretty clear that killing people with the force (other than with the aid of a lightsaber) was wrong, and DSP worthy.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I've played (and loved) the games. But yes, just about half the game is DSP worthy. Not to mention the stuff that goes on in internet capture the flag games. WEG made it pretty clear that killing people with the force (other than with the aid of a lightsaber) was wrong, and DSP worthy.

Pretty much sums it up.

By the WEG rules set, which represents the Force as far more black and white than newer renditions, those are all DSP worthy actions.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected those answers. Just needed to confirm it, though I admit I loved it when after I defeated the Reborn, I used Force Push to alter the Rodian's trajectory as he was jumping across the wind tunnel on Bespin. When I did that, I bet he was thinking, "I can fly! I can fly! I believe I can fl- AAHHH!!!". Laughing Twisted Evil
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just toss a grenade into the updraft and let it land in just the perfect spot. It's too much fun. That and using force speed on a room full of imps, and try to lightsaber the last one in the room before the first one has hit the ground.

Letting the speed wear off and watching everyone hit the ground is just too satisfying.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Force Push and Pull becoming strong enough to fling people across the room, in game terms I'd say you ought to do as you would in DC Heroes with an extremely strong character: you PULL YOUR PUNCH. That is, you should declare that you're trying to push/pull them away, but you're making an effort NOT to turn them into a grease spot on the far wall. You might not succeed, but if you do that, as a GM I would consider that you had NOT had the intention of killing your opponent, and would therefore not give a DSP for it. As long as you're making the conscious effort NOT to kill, the motive is pure and therefore not punishable in my opinion.
Ash Draven
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
As for the Force Push and Pull becoming strong enough to fling people across the room, in game terms I'd say you ought to do as you would in DC Heroes with an extremely strong character: you PULL YOUR PUNCH. That is, you should declare that you're trying to push/pull them away, but you're making an effort NOT to turn them into a grease spot on the far wall. You might not succeed, but if you do that, as a GM I would consider that you had NOT had the intention of killing your opponent, and would therefore not give a DSP for it. As long as you're making the conscious effort NOT to kill, the motive is pure and therefore not punishable in my opinion.

So in these situations we could quote Obi-Wan? "You over did it..."

I like this option, but I feel the characters would need to back up their words with game actions. They would need to reduce their Alter die code during this action to repesent their characters pulling their punches.

Example: The Jedi character has an alter of 10D. He is going to use TK to throw someone into a wall. They do not want to kill the character, so they take a -4D penalty to their Alter to show that they are pulling their punches. Their is a chance they might pull their punch too much resulting in a momentary stun, but it is better than killing the guy and getting a DSP.
Kora Tyr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Warrior Philosophies such as Zeison Sha? They would use Telekinesis tacitly.

How much does the PC's code affect this? If it is as Yoda puts it "perspective" then alternative traditions means they would not get said DSP points.
Well, I'm still here and he's a ghost
Obi Wan Kenobi (Weir Al)
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the black and white view of the force, it smacks of pidgeon holing to me i say use the WEG rules if you like, or don't.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Does these Jedi Outcast/Academy scenarios warrant a DSP? Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I've been playing Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy the past few days, and I've been thinking about something. Take a location where there are a lot of ledges or open spaces in the game. For instance, Nar Shaddaa and Bespin from Jedi Outcast, and Kril'dor and Coruscant from Jedi Academy. Consider these scenarios:

1. I use Force push, knock the merc/trooper off a ledge, and they fall to their death. I hear their scream, which either cuts off abruptly, or it fades away.

2. Take the area in Bespin right after you defeat the first Reborn. You're at the ledge where you would have to jump on the air vents to get across the big gap. Rodian mercs come running and jump onto the air vents in order to get across. As they're airborne, I use Force push to knock them off their trajectory. Result - they fall to their death.

3. I've never done this, but I could use Force Grip to pick up an enemy, immobilizing them. I swing to the left or right, and the opponent is hovering over empty space. Then I let go.

4. Towards the end of the games, Force Push and Force Pull become strong enough that you can literally fling opponents across the room. When I do this sometimes, the opponent goes flying across the room and hit the wall. When they fall to the ground, they don't get up. They're dead.

Now, if these were RPG scenarios, would any of these scenarios warrant a DSP? Personally, I'm inclined to say yes to all of them. But I'd like to see what the public has to say.

I am with you, they would all grant dsps. active use of the force to cause harm.

Quote:
How much does the PC's code affect this? If it is as Yoda puts it "perspective" then alternative traditions means they would not get said DSP points.

IMO the force is. regardless of your traditions or upbringings, the force will see it as dsp worthy.

Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kora Tyr wrote:
What about Warrior Philosophies such as Zeison Sha? They would use Telekinesis tacitly.

According to the rules, PC code does not affect this. The Force is the Force no matter what perspective you look at it from. Whether it MATTERS that you get a DSP for certain uses of the Force may depend on the code, however... but the DSP is still coming Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Kora Tyr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Kora Tyr wrote:

According to the rules, PC code does not affect this. The Force is the Force no matter what perspective you look at it from. Whether it MATTERS that you get a DSP for certain uses of the Force may depend on the code, however... but the DSP is still coming Razz

I don't buy it fully, to 'cut and dry' and reinforces why I won't use force in this game I think.

the distinction between harm and intent to kill is my issue. Also I have to say sometimes people have to get injured, possibly even die. (the latter is rare) so necessity is my guide.

Rather silly to toss practicality out the window for impractically high morals. but that is another thread.

As to the OP for me intent would be key...disable where you can, kill only if needed and DSP acquired could be avoided. If there there they know the risks involved...Mercs especially.
Obi Wan Kenobi (Weir Al)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also I have to say sometimes people have to get injured, possibly even die. (the latter is rare) so necessity is my guide

Which i cannot ever agree with not giving a dsp. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and sometimes necessity is taking the lesser evil over the greater one (eg taking that dsp rather than letting a bigger evil go).
Kora Tyr
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Also I have to say sometimes people have to get injured, possibly even die. (the latter is rare) so necessity is my guide

Which i cannot ever agree with not giving a dsp. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and sometimes necessity is taking the lesser evil over the greater one (eg taking that dsp rather than letting a bigger evil go).

Which is why one can redeem themselves.
Obi Wan Kenobi (Weir Al)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: