The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GM Screen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> GM Screen Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: GM Screen Reply with quote

How many GMs roll behind the screen and how many do it out in the public. I am of the belief that GM should roll behind the screen that way the story can remain interesting, players shouldn't know the skill of NPCs and such that would be revealed by this tactic.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, i roll most of the stuff behind the screen, except for important battles which are always in the open.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally out in the open. I'm not shy about the fact that I'm occasionally flexible in the result that lands, both in and against the favour of the PCs.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my game, everyone rolls into tupperware containers. They can be revealed if desired, and concealed if necessary. Plus you don't have dice flying everywhere when someone gets excited.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all of my gaming these days is online, all of my dice rolling is done on the computer 'screen' Mr. Green

When I was playing face to face I did do most of my rolling behind a screen, like garkhal said, doing most of the "BIG" battles and such out in the open. I loved watching my players squirm when they were facing Vader or someone like that and I pulled out my big bag 'o dice and emptied it on the table.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my groups, whoever is GMing usually makes most roles behind the screen. It's fun when when the players identify by sound that way too many dice are being rolled and get all worked up! Hehehe. The GM will usually only roll openly on a critical roll, when he wants the players to see clearly that he's not setting them up, that their fates is really in fate's hand, not his own (meaning, if you die, it's not MY fault).
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, exactly. Hidden for most rolls, but critical rolls out in the open Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roll luck rolls (a house thing picked up from a friends Heroes game long ago) behind the screen and alot of combat behind the screen, however I show those "Oh crap I just rolled mostly 6's" rolls by lifting the screen and showing them that they were indeed screwed and I am not fibbing.

Alexis
*smiles*
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players always cringe when a 6 explodes behind the screen. you can hear me picking up the dice and rolling it again, and again.. every time a roll their expressions get worse and worse. It is such fun Very Happy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
My players always cringe when a 6 explodes behind the screen. you can hear me picking up the dice and rolling it again, and again.. every time a roll their expressions get worse and worse. It is such fun Very Happy

I have had some do that, and worse... some have taken to try and chant bad luck to them..
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ye, the bad luck chant. Amazingly effective. Our chant consists of repeating the name of one of our players, who's a notorious 1 roller.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Oh ye, the bad luck chant. Amazingly effective. Our chant consists of repeating the name of one of our players, who's a notorious 1 roller.

Heh, nice. I had one character go, with a serious look on his face "I CURSE YOU DICE!!!" i swear the dice would not roll above 3. freaky.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it has usually been the other way. They try and curse me, and the dice roll mostly abvove a 3. heck one time they 'curse me' i rolled nothing but 5s and 6s...
The Game Guy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Screen Reply with quote

adamlumina93 wrote:
How many GMs roll behind the screen and how many do it out in the public. I am of the belief that GM should roll behind the screen that way the story can remain interesting, players shouldn't know the skill of NPCs and such that would be revealed by this tactic.

If it's something the players shouldnt know about until I tell them what happens I roll behind the screen, otherwise I do it in the open.

This of course only applies when I am the GM
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
As all of my gaming these days is online, all of my dice rolling is done on the computer 'screen' Mr. Green

When I was playing face to face I did do most of my rolling behind a screen, like garkhal said, doing most of the "BIG" battles and such out in the open. I loved watching my players squirm when they were facing Vader or someone like that and I pulled out my big bag 'o dice and emptied it on the table.

Somewhat off topic here, but I was playing a D20 Star Wars game, yeah I know -braces for torches and pitch forks- But anyway, I was playing a Jedi Guardian, people who are better with Lightsaber than the force (Mace Windu, Anakin/Darth Vader, etc.) And I was challenged to a lightsaber dual by Master Yoda to test my skills, well...In D20 Star Wars they have a Vitality/Wound point system, where Vitality is your ability to narrowly escape major damage, and Wound Points are your ability to survive fatal attacks, well Wound points are measured in Constitution, which Yoda's is only 9. If you roll a natural 20 on a D20 you automatically go to their wound points...so in short...I cut master Yoda in half o.o

What you posted just reminded me of that for some reason.

But on topic, I don't use a GM screen when I DM because I don't own one, and I don't roll out in the open or secret in particular, I just decide which I think I should do, then do that

vong wrote:

I also have a story relating to this, one of my friend (who ironically enough was the person who was DMing that D20 Star Wars game) was playing a Force Adept (not the species in the book...we usually make our own characters as I am sure most people do) and he was using Sense for something...I don't remember what it was, but yeah...and he rolled three 1's on his wild die, I was speechless because I really couldn't think of what would happen, so his head exploded lol

"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis

Last edited by DarthMortis on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:57 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: