The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force use and SW timeline questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force use and SW timeline questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerfherder
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Force use and SW timeline questions Reply with quote

Hello. As a fan of the Star Wars universe and the d6 WEG SWrpg, I'd like to say thanks for this wonderful site. I just have a few questions that someone could hopefully answer for me.

1. Force Use: How are Force powers (Control, Sense, Alter) and their associated skills used in the game? i.e. Would a player add their force power and skill together for a roll? I am confused on how the Force works and the 2nd ed manual does not explain its usage very well. I've looked over the official and house rule forums and have a somewhat better understanding of things, but I am in the planning stages of a campaign that will have at least one Jedi in it and I don't want to start until I have a thorough grasp on the rules.

2. The Jedi Purge: From the beginning of the Rise of the Empire era, how long did the Jedi purge last until Vader and the Emperor felt confident that they had eliminated the Jedi Order?

3. The Rebellion: In the 2nd ed book it says the Rebellion era began a year before the Battle of Yavin. However, Mon Mothma had organized a resistance several years prior to that. Does anyone know where in the SW timeline the beginnings of the Rebellion began to openly resist the Empire. I want to know because I want to set my campaign during the Rebellion's inception.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and happy gaming.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd Edition may be refering to the Corellian Treaty, which brought the three major sides in the Rebellion together as the Alliance to Restore the Republic.

Wanted Poster
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Force Use: That's a kinda complex question, and would be better answered by reading the 2nd Edition R&E Rulebook. However let me give you a glimpse of it: Control, Sense and Alter are Force Skills that you learn, and as you develop them, you aquire new Force Powers (Telekinesis, Lightsaber Combat, Affect Mind, etc). Each Force Power has its own mechanics, but are all subjected to 1 to 3 of the Force Skills. So you will usually roll the Force Skills pertinent to that power and that will decide whether the power works or not. It's quite a complex thing and you need to have a list of the powers and their mechanics in order to play. If you want, I can mail you a 400 kb doc with all of them.

2. The Jedi Purge: That one will be better answered after Episode III, but I could guess that the purge lasted from the time of Episode III to a few years after that, 5 at most.

3. The Rebellion: According to the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, there was rebellion since the very beginning of the Empire. However it was not an organized, unified Rebellion, it was scattered Resistance groups waging guerilla warfare how they could, and they were easily stomped. This Resistance groups continued to operate feebly until Mon Mothma managed to create the Corellian Treaty, in which three Corellian Resistance groups allied, that was the birth of the Rebel Alliance, and it might have ocurred just over a year before the Battle of Yavin. Other Resistance groups started joining the Alliance and the Rebellion was oficially established with the publication of the Declaration of Rebellion, one year before Yavin, which helped the Rebellion grow further. The rest is history...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand on what Gry said for #1.

You can consider each Force skill (control, sense or alter) as a seperate Attribute. Each power is like a skill though they get no die pool of their own, they always default to the attribute.
When you roll a power, look at the attribute it is under, and see if you beet the diff set.
EG Sense force potential is a Sense power, so when you roll for this power, you roll your Sense Skill.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1. Control, Sense, and Alter almost become like 3 extra attributes, only held by Force-sensitive characters.

#2. Despite modern EU's baffling choice to portray characters like Starkiller and Kota serving in the Rebellion a year or two before ANH, it's clear from dialogue in ANH and ESB that people consider the Jedi to be long-extinct, with enough margin for error to account for all stragglers (even if EU sources show how wrong an assumption that is, as there are about 50 'Last of the Jedis' and dozens that come out of the woodwork in Dark Empire and the Jedi Academy trilogy)- so I would say that, realistically, there have been no Jedi spotted by the Empire for at least 5 years, maybe closer to 10, judging by the evidence, tone, and attitude of the movies.

# 3. Much as I like to defer to WEG on established SW lore, sometimes they just didn't ahve the whole picture. The setup for the Starfall adventure references the Victory Star-Destroyer as being the backbone of the Republic Navy in the years between the end of the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire. Very Happy So, clearly, there are some conflicts with current canon there. However, in terms of an organized Rebellion, the actual organized Rebel Alliance does seem to have come into being about a year before ANH (even if other small groups were 'rebelling' all along)- this jibes even with the Force Unleashed (which basically posits the whole Rebellion as essentially Starkiller's own private little vendetta group, too cowardly to act without his galvanizing force, and requiring him around to keep them from squabbling amongst themselves like petty children... so the less said about that the better) and A New Hope's opening crawl itself. After all, the Rebellion has just won it's first major victory at the time of ANH, which seems to suggest a relatively recent formation (either that, or a long and storied history of complete failures... Wink )

Hard core OT, all the way!
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To argue #2: by people you mean the average person on the street. If you go by that reasoning there could very well be Jedi in that period since the average person would have no reason to know about one unless a Jedi were presented to them in person.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starkiller? Who is this being of whom you speak? His name is unfamiliar to me and it is not recorded in my Timeline of the Star Wars Universe. Laughing
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski - true, but we have statements by Motti and Tarkin (both phrased with extreme certainty and long-since past tense) and Yoda (as the the current state of the galaxy at the time of ROTJ), all of whom should be pretty 'in the know'- so it seems fairly definitive to me.

Bren- on this we agree; I like the way you think!

Wink

Hard core OT, all the way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: