The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TANK characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> TANK characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: TANK characters Reply with quote

Alright, so we have decided to switch from CODA Lord of the Rings to WEG star wars for a bit with a certain group. One of the members.... is a munchkin beyond belief. A few questions as a fellow PC on how to deal with him.

He is going to choose a high STR character.... so how we dare challenge him if he says something and it's "that way or the highway." He usually doesn't play that way... but if he does? And how can I stop him if he is mind controled/turns on the group for some reason?

Wookie: 6D strength, blast vest, V.S. Energy 6D+1, V.S. Physical 7D.

He might choose another race, could be something else, like Barabel, or another creature with armor/high STR.

How are NPC's going to be able to deal according damage to him without completely DESTROYING the rest of the group (with 3D-4D Strength).

Thanks~

EDIT: Moved to a different forum, please delete this.

Wolves do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem before. The solution I used was a squad of stormtroopers using combined fire to punch through the high strength score. One of the troopers was carrying a light repeater with 6 others assiting. It damages it to something like 8d with the assists. The 8th trooper was commanding. After the wookie is dead the troopers can return to regular fire while your player makes a new character. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use his strength against him. Jedi mind tricks to make him think what his target is, is not his target. oil slick type weapons to have him fumbling around.

And when all else fails. Combined fire.
Also for note wookies only start with 5d strength, not 6d. AND you control what equipment he can get. so if you don't want him to get armor, you dont have to allow it.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some things i use in combat is to attack the strong (or strong looking) characters first. unless there is a strategic advantage in attacking the weak, the strong characters will be more dangerous. if the player decides to bully other players... well being alone can make things tough.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"HE ISN'T DROPPING!!!" "Hurry, shoot the others, that might make the Rancor stop to help!"

*Fifteen Minutes Later*

"OK... I want to know why your distraction didn't work, Fluffy. And, no, you're not allowed to wear a belt of skulls of your enemies. No, not even if it is just the empty Stormtrooper Helmets."
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one. Too true.

This is one idea that I kind of like about the newer incarnations of D6 is that they separate your body strength or constitution and make it separate from your weight-lifting type strength.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
"HE ISN'T DROPPING!!!" "Hurry, shoot the others, that might make the Rancor stop to help!"

*Fifteen Minutes Later*

"OK... I want to know why your distraction didn't work, Fluffy. And, no, you're not allowed to wear a belt of skulls of your enemies. No, not even if it is just the empty Stormtrooper Helmets."

LOL!

As for the question at hand, high STR may not go hand in hand with high DEX. And while that STR works great for resisting damage, it doesn't insure they won't take damage. Especially if their going up against damage from a different scale. 6D STR wearing a blast vest that adds +1 vs energy is more likely to absorb a weapon that does say 7D damage if it's attack scale is character. But if it's attack scale is speeder, then the character gets 2D added to dodge, but if they fail that dodge then their taking 9D worth of damage. That's a bit more likely to do enough damage to negate the blast vest.

Wanted Poster
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Thermal Detonators Twisted Evil

ok, so maybe that's overkill, but a lot of GMs forget that grenades can be the great equilizer and yes, stormtroopers do carry them.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough, Smoke Grenades, especially the "Improved Smokes" that throw up Infrared and Ultraviolet particles, are also great equalizers. The Stormtroopers helmets are able to filter them out, turning it from "I can't see a thing in this helmet" to "I'm the ONLY one that can see a thing in this helmet!"
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might seem a little unfair if you overuse it, but you could write up a few weapons that aren't resisted with Strength. According to many sources, the Empire has been known to keep Wookiee slaves, so it stands to reason they'd have some equipment capable of dealing with high-strength subjects. Just to keep things balanced, it seems like a weapon that bypasses Strength probably shouldn't have too drastic an effect, but I can think of 5 options:

1- poisons or tranquilizers that are resisted with Willpower

2- sonic emitters that cause disorientation or unconsciousness, probably also resisted with Willpower. Wookiees might be particularly susceptible to "sonic screech" effects - I base this off the scene in the classic trilogy (Ep. 5, iirc, while captured on Bespin), when Chewbacca sort of freaked out over a siren of some kind.

3- flash grenades that temporarily blind anyone who fails a Perception roll.

4- a concussion rifle (or similar weapon) that pushes a target backward and knocks them over based on the result of the attack and Dodge rolls, and ignores Strength entirely. If you keep the knockback distance short (a few meters) then it won't be overpowering except in the vicinity of a ledge, forcefield, or dangerous machinery.

5- flame weapons. Ok, this one does still go against Strength but against a Wookiee in particular... I'd expect continued burning (possibly at higher damage) from all the fur. And if you're feeling considerably sadistic, throw in a Willpower roll or two in order to be able to do anything other than attempt to put the flames out- after all, he's on fire, and nobody just stays calm when that happens.

Of course, these are all purely combat possibilities. It's just as useful when you have a combat-heavy PC to make the challenges something a bit more complicated than "kill the bad guys," but that's a totally different topic. Regardless, a heavy hitter PC should probably expect to have most of the enemy firepower targeting him (or her)- Stormtroopers may not be smart, but they ought to know how to prioritize targets, at the very least.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variation on the Vital Location attacks rule from the Rules Companion (applied to characters--it's technically in the Capital Ship combat rules). For a -2D penalty to hit, success means that the target resists at -1D soak--& these attacks are cumulative: so if an opponent deals with a -5D (-2D for each attack, & -1D multi-action penalty) then the target rolls 2 less dice to resist.

If that fails, a Dark Sider with 6D in all their Force Skills (Force Lightning ignores armor, not to mention the dice adds with Lightsaber Combat Twisted Evil )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: