The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Banks and Banking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Banks and Banking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Banks and Banking Reply with quote

Has anyone given any thought to how banking would work in Star Wars. How do you guys think that interstellar transmissions are handled. I myself am not sure and the question came from one of my new players. Does anyone every think or thought about this? In theory would it be possible for you to make a withdrawal from your coruscant bank account on corellia and then race to another planet and do it again before the first one posts. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an accountant it has crossed my mind. Wink I'm not sure. It all depends upon how currency is set up in the Empire. Is it kind of like the Confederacy where there's a national government and military, but each state (or planet) has its own currency? Or is it more like the E.U. or U.S.? I imagine if they could send transmissions via holonet realtively quickly then something should post relatively quickly if you've gone to a Bank of Alderaan ATM ("what do you mean the system is offline?"). Laughing
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding, the Republic was originally founded, for amongst other things, to standardize a Galactic Currency, the Credit. And, mostly, it worked. (Some places didn't accept it, just like some places won't take US Dollars, British Pounds, Euros, etc.).

I'd be willing to bet that most major planets, or those on major trade routes, would probably just go with this standard currency, while smaller, or more out of the way, planets would have their own currency for internal use, and Credits would be rarer for dealing with the Galactic Community.

But then you could get places like Hutt Space ("Republic Credits will be fine." "No, they won't!") or the Corporate Sector Authority that would restrict Credits to the point of worthlessness, or to where only Governments could legally possess them.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the Palpatine suspend the Holonet, except for military use, after the founding of the Empire? That would reduce banking to going back to old hyperspace transmitters. Unless of course it's a state ran bank.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Banks and Banking Reply with quote

adamlumina93 wrote:
Has anyone given any thought to how banking would work in Star Wars. How do you guys think that interstellar transmissions are handled. I myself am not sure and the question came from one of my new players. Does anyone every think or thought about this? In theory would it be possible for you to make a withdrawal from your coruscant bank account on corellia and then race to another planet and do it again before the first one posts. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated

I have done some stuff here. Certain banks like the really large ones,will have branches through out the galaxy (well in the known areas), while some might only be within a sector or two. heck some may just be local to the system.
For the big ones, they have imo enough overhead funding to do daily maybe even hourly holonet updates to the central mainframe (which i usually put at around 60+ for comp/prog rolls to break into.). So while it might be done, it is less likely the bigger the bank.

Quote:
Didn't the Palpatine suspend the Holonet, except for military use, after the founding of the Empire? That would reduce banking to going back to old hyperspace transmitters. Unless of course it's a state ran bank.

True, but most of the large bank chains imo were supporters of the Imperial war machine, so would be IMO allowed access to it.
GMT
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PCs went to Muunilinst (Rebellion era game) and established accounts there, through which they handle their personal finances. I simply say "it works" in response to "does it all work?" A player trying to find financial loopholes such as racing to beat their own bank transactions is not acting in the spirit of any (well run) SW game and a GM would not be very bright to tolerate it.

A smarter GM would let the character try it, only to find themselves unable to get any credit whatsoever, or even open a bank account, and be reduced to operating entirely in cash, which leads to problems with exchange rates, thievery, and more fun for the GM.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games, I have credits divided into three types:

Cred accounts, which are universal bank accounts that work anywhere. All you need to use one is a thumbprint. Personally I think this form of security is laughably lax, but it's the way things are in so many SW books so I use it. I have made the standard "Thumb print" more than just a person's skin ridges though, it also records the pattern of blood vessels and the DNA of the person making the thumbprint, and the scanner can tell whether the thumb is "alive" or not (ie: in case someone cuts off your thumb, it won't work). Cred accounts are the most widely used currency in the coreward systems because of their ease of use and they are 100% traceable. Also, they are relatively difficult for aliens without thumbs to use, which suits the Empire just fine.

Credsticks, which are like USB flash drives filled with "electronic money". Credsticks are the most common form of currency in the midward systems, because while transactions with them are traceable, the identity of the person holding the credstick is not.

Cold hard credits, which are coins minted by the Empire that contain nanochips that can be scanned to verify their authenticity, and to track their use. Most legitimate businesses and banks scan the credits and report their use to the Central Bank on Aargau, but any individual with a hand scanner can verify the credits without reporting their use. This makes hard credits the most popular form of currency in the outer rim, because it's relatively untraceable.

I also allow local currencies, but the Empire mandates that all worlds within it's borders accept Imperial credits or else.

In my game, the Empire does not meddle with the money of the galaxy. I never worked out just why, but Palpatine does not "invent" new money, nor does he meddle with exchange rates or banking in any way. The ISB and Imperial Intelligence are both allowed full access to all banking records throughout the galaxy though.

Scott
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
I never worked out just why, but Palpatine does not "invent" new money.

Well, he replaced the Republic Credit with the Imperial Credit, but that's not that big a deal.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
I never worked out just why, but Palpatine does not "invent" new money, nor does he meddle with exchange rates or banking in any way.

Apparently Ron Paul has supporters in The Slice. Laughing I like the way that you handle money in your game. It seems reasonable. 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also allow local currencies, but the Empire mandates that all worlds within it's borders accept Imperial credits or else.

We had fun one game, trying to figure out why one planet had NOT been 'forced to accept' imperial credits, till we learned that the empire just leaves that planet be.. nothing there but ex pirates/slavers and their prison...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: