The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Source books or go it alone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Source books or go it alone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l0mathon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Source books or go it alone? Reply with quote

Just wondering how many people use source books or pre-made settings verses writing up their own planets/sectors/whatever where their games take place?

For my current game I wrote up a sector in the Mid Rim and two new alien species that have play a big role in sector politics.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to ad lib my games, keeping track of stats that I assign as I go to make sure things stay consistent later in the game. I've never run a pre-made adventure, and I only occasionally use established planets.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with only the first edition rulebook and the sourcebook. I created everything on the fly, and after about a year or so I made it so that all the original planets I created since were located in one sector. When I bought more sourcebooks I further developed my homebrewed sector's connection to the rest of the galaxy.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing year, most of my Star Wars gaming carrer we only had the Main Rulebook and Screen, so we had to either make all the rest up or use some of the EU knowledge we had.

Later on we managed to grab all the PDFs of WEG books and started incorporating more "official" stuff to our games. Now its a pretty mixed sutuation, I tend to use more stuff from the books, while the others usually make more things up.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a large collection of the books. They're well written and they have large selection of adventure ideas. I get quite a lot of inspiration from them, though I'm not likely to use an adventure directly. They're a great resource, why not use them?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitly only had the Main rule book, the rest was made up Smile

I still tend to do that, but use the books for ideas (or the stat books so i dont have to make up creatures)

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always run my games on the fly.

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am nearing completion of my WEG Star Wars collection, meaning I have attained almost every item I could or would want, and some I just had to have because I am a completest with my game collections. Eventually I will have them all.

I use the books as I will, often though I change things I do not like or add things I do. They are a good reference to start from but I have never used prefab adventures or settings. I may draw inspiration from canon, but we design our own version of canon for ourselves. Oftentimes changing planets or just looking at them on the map and "making it up on the fly".

But I do agree with Cheshire, having the books as I do, why not use them?

Alexis
*smiles*
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to make up the adventures but I rely heavily on the books, my own reference tables, Wookiepedia and the CUSWE for source material.

I dispise most of the EU material and the prequel movies, though I do call upon certain parts of them that I hate less for source material sometimes. I'm something of a GCW purist when it comes to my settings, though in my latest campaign we all agreed before hand to make up an alternate outcome for the battle of endor and see where it takes us, which has been pretty cool.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am roughly an even mix. Established settings for the key areas, with home brew stuff for the outlying stuff.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually create my own campaigns (the pre-made adventures are too confining for me) but i use source books for worlds, equipment, and places. that way i don't have to make everything up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: