The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How do you apply MAPs and why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> How do you apply MAPs and why? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: How do you apply MAPs and why? Reply with quote

There are two distinct versions of MAP accrual, one at a time or all at once.

Example: Ly'dira the Padawan wants to activate Lightsaber Combat and Take 2 Other Actions saved for two parries in case someone shoots at her. She's not very skilled or very confident.

--MAP Accrual 1 by 1-- Ly'dira Rolls her Control at no penalty, Sense at -1D, 1st Parry at -2D, and second parry at -3D

--MAP Accrual All at once-- Ly'dira makes all 4 actions at -3D

Both systems have their merits.

In one by one we see a simulation of "getting worn out" , the player is at peak doing something once, but the more they cram in there the less skilled they become.

In All at once you have a great check and balance to player action, 1 by 1 can be munchkinized, players making "important" rolls at the least negative. In all at one, the player has to think carefully how much they want to stretch themselves in advance cause it affects them across the board.

Which do you use and why? IIRC both were at one time (in various editions, sorry I only own R&E so I can't verify this) the actual rule.

Alexis
*smiles*

PS- Sorry for the across all boards posting, new to the forums so I am surfing them and chiming in, just so happened I ended up with one in each category ^_~
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apply them all at once to signify the detrimental effect of splitting ones focus.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apply all the original ones at once, then the "evasions" later on as they are needed. this way a player can still dodge if he does not declare it.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I apply them all at once to signify the detrimental effect of splitting ones focus.

Same here.

I've played both ways, and while the first way allows for more "success", it really takes away from the feel of what it is to do 4 things at once... I don't find it makes sense, nor does it feel right.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always played it all at once. If you're trying to do 3 things at the same time, they all suffer equally. Players have to declare how many actions they'll take ate the beginning of the round and they are stuck with that MAP for all those actions (they don't have to state beforehand what those actions will be, though). I will allow a player to add a reaction dodge later on the round, but that dodge suffers a further -1D penalty (so it would be at Original Round MAP +2D penalty).

I really don'r recommend doing otherwise, since it can be easily munchkinized and make for some senseless scenes.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too apply all at once, and I also allow for a reactionary dodge. I don't add an extra -1d like Gry but I can understand why he does it. To stop people from declaring their intended attack actions and have them take dodges as they may while not being penalized for non declaration of their true intent.

I just don't find that I have a problem with munchkinization this way. If people start declaring 3 actions, use them all and are constantly doing 2-3 dodges as well (Random numbers not indicative of dice pools in game) I will go to Gry's method.

I tried "drop a dice, act again" and truly it DOES make for some serious munchkin play. I don't like it though I can understand it "theoretical" purpose.

Alexis
*smiles*

Last edited by Sith'Ari Lizanthrin on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith'Ari Lizanthrin wrote:
I tried "drop a dice, act again" and truly it DOES make for some serious munchkin play.

I'm not familiar with this. Elaborate, please.

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the MAPs one at a time with no definitive declaration phase.

Basically we would start a combat turn (1 round was when every had completed one action, instead we applied MAPs across the turn under the assumption unless they chose to act again most people take a single action. So MAP accrual happened throughout the combat. I felt at the time that since I had done away with 5 second rounds, that drop a dice roll again simulated getting tired over the combat turn. The highest initiative went first, and once the actions had gone around if someone else wanted to act again they took their MAP and made their roll.

What I ended up with was one player who convinced me to let his Knight join my campaign, timeline did not prohibit it,and our Padawan was already in pain for teachings, so I said sure. What I got was someone with 8D LS, and 7 and 8 respectively in Control and Sense, can anyone guess why he had 8 in sense? Anti MAP.

The really disgusting thing was it would have been moderately ok. We were using turn based instead of round based combat. But the Jedi killed it. The first time he dropped a FP after already having enacted LS Combat the turn prior, Started at -1D for keeping it up. Everyone else declared one action sufficient. But then we saw this. Ok I parry the blaster bolt 15D, Send it back at him 14D, Attack this stormie 13D, that stormy 12D, grab the crates and send it at the doors to block it 10D (only on 7D alter, so his MAPs dropped him 2 numerics here since his base for TK was lower), It went on and on, until I believe, about 4D when he said "I atta...no wait I wont make it now, screw it I am done."

I was dumbfounded, wrapped the game up that night and the next time my players showed up we had a long talk about it and went to R&E all at once.

The idea SEEMED sound, the logic behind it, realistic to me. Combat begins everyone is at their peak, as it wears on you are more and more "worn out" in reality it just widened the gap between Jedi and non Jedi. In the standard rules he would have made all those LS attacks at a total of 5D and his TK at 4D. Would not have been scoring Heroics +10 and above on his first 4 or 5 rolls (exact numbers he rolled escape me, but I know on a 7D action he managed a 63 due to a ridiculous Wild Die streak rolled in front of all...

Sometimes being too nice to the players (letting them get away with too much) is as detrimental if not more so to the game's enjoyment overall than being stringent and following the rules.

Alexis
*smiles*
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also please note the problem here was also from our using roll control and sense once in the beginning of combat mark down the numbers and add it to all your rolls.

The way my former GM had done it. He is quite the munchkin.

Doing those rolls first, can you guess what happened? Bonuses for LSC were always ludicrous. Because of the accruing of MAPs being slower. Of course I was very new to SW at this time. Owned no books, and played off the grace of borrowed books that I would lose sometimes to their original owner even on game nights.

Combining the drop a dice roll again method with Lightsaber combat is where it got fuzzy for me.

If someone enacts Lightsaber Combat, and then holds it up next round do the full dice pool rolls still count? Even to this day the keeping up of LSC can be confusing to me. Why use the full dice to enact it and get a good roll if you have to drop those numbers next round? Just to succeed? Is rolling new bonuses every round too cumbersome?

Anyway I digress.

I was new to the game system but not new to Gming and it did not take me long to realize my mistakes, buy my own books and get it right for my gamers in my group (ymmv, I am blessed with no munchkins and only one person prone to fudging rolls and usually in good causes). Buying nearly every D6 book has helped alot. Once I finish up the Adventure Journals and Adventure Modules, and my Birthday gift of a few hundred bucks worth of Star Wars Ebay items arrives, my collection will be nearing completion. Shadowrun and Star Wars down...what next hehe.

But the Lightsaber Combat, keeping it up, keeping your LSC totals is a whole nother kettle of fish. I can see how people would just go with that as opposed to adding the dice to each while "holding it up".

Alexis
*smiles*
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you apply MAPs and why? Reply with quote

Sith'Ari Lizanthrin wrote:
There are two distinct versions of MAP accrual, one at a time or all at once.
Which do you use and why? IIRC both were at one time (in various editions, sorry I only own R&E so I can't verify this) the actual rule.

All at ones for nearly every situation, though i have had some instances where they accruded one by one. EG John is shooting only, but later in the round has to dodge AND make a brawl parry. The shot is unhindered, the dodge is at -1 and the parry was at -2d..
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone put a cap on the amount of actions one can declare in a round? I toyed with the idea that you could not do more actions than your Dex Attribute (i.e. if you had a Dex of 3D+1, you could not do more than 3 actions in a round). It just seemed that doing too many things at once was a bit munckiny...

-shnar
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen many use the # attacks equal to dex, or dex+1..
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never come up in a game of mine a situation where someone was able to do an absurd amount of actions in a round. MAPs usually take care of that.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the "apply all at once" method. When I first started playing, I misunderstood the rules and did it with the "one at a time" method. It only took one Force Point usage with someone at 8D bumping up to 16D to make us realize that something was wrong. After reading, rereading and re-rereading, I realized the mistake I had made and went to the "all at once" method. That put a stop to a lot of the uber-attacks, even when a FP was used.

Sure, a FP use could get a person to do more actions because they could perform say... 6 actions for a -5D and still be rolling 4D or so for each roll. But it was way better than someone doing 11, 12 or more actions in a round.
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the all-at-once method. Using the one-for-one method speeds up play but it can make for way too many actions.

I've seen players (when we were playing Cyberpunk, which also uses MAPs) target the enemies at longer ranges first, while their numbers were higher, then move closer as the number dwindled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: