The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 vs. D20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> D6 vs. D20 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the core rule books, and it just seemed too restrictive. Everything in d20 seems to take forever to figure out. Each class needs its own chart, most skills require a chart, the prerequisites for feats need charts-

I hate charts!
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d20 is meant for people who need a lot of rules and definition. people who like everything balanced for them and a clear path laid out in front of them. and thats all well and good for those that like it. personally i like a little more freedom and flexibility in my games. the d20 system isn't a bad system persay but its not my first choice in systems.
DarkBlade
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference is for the D6 system. It was the first, and in my opinion still the best. It is easy to modify and house rule. And there are no levels.

That's not to say the d20 system isn't a decent game. I do have all three versions of d20 Star Wars. The first two d20 versions were rules heavy, but the newest one is a definate improvement on that. Is it perfect, no. Is anything perfect. No. It has a few ideas I may steal for my next d6 game.

Now, as for d20 Star Wars being a Hack and Slash, Montey Hall style rpg, I don't think that was ever really the case. Yes, you got experience for "defeating" encounters, but "defeating" could mean anything from sneaking around to role-playing your way past them.

As for the common joke of +5 Lightsabers of Stormtrooper Decapitation, I'm glad to say they don't exist (or I never would've bought the game to begin with). Oh, and no where in the rules of d20 Star Wars does it mention the looting of corpses. Wink

I think d20 Star Wars biggest drawback isn't so much the d20 system itself, but the stigma of using the same system as Dungeons and Dragons, which after all this time, is still being accused of a Hack and Slash game, not because it is, but because that is how people choose to play it.

Any RPG can be good for roleplaying, and any RPG can become a hack and slash. It is in the players and GM's hands to determine the game's style, not the system.

I suppose in short, I prefer the WEG d6 system of Star Wars. The WOC d20 Star Wars game is still a viable alternative (especialy Saga Edition), with it's own unique advantages.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkBlade wrote:
My personal preference is for the D6 system. It was the first, and in my opinion still the best. It is easy to modify and house rule. And there are no levels.

That's not to say the d20 system isn't a decent game. I do have all three versions of d20 Star Wars. The first two d20 versions were rules heavy, but the newest one is a definate improvement on that. Is it perfect, no. Is anything perfect. No. It has a few ideas I may steal for my next d6 game.

Now, as for d20 Star Wars being a Hack and Slash, Montey Hall style rpg, I don't think that was ever really the case. Yes, you got experience for "defeating" encounters, but "defeating" could mean anything from sneaking around to role-playing your way past them.

As for the common joke of +5 Lightsabers of Stormtrooper Decapitation, I'm glad to say they don't exist (or I never would've bought the game to begin with). Oh, and no where in the rules of d20 Star Wars does it mention the looting of corpses. Wink

I think d20 Star Wars biggest drawback isn't so much the d20 system itself, but the stigma of using the same system as Dungeons and Dragons, which after all this time, is still being accused of a Hack and Slash game, not because it is, but because that is how people choose to play it.

Any RPG can be good for roleplaying, and any RPG can become a hack and slash. It is in the players and GM's hands to determine the game's style, not the system.

I suppose in short, I prefer the WEG d6 system of Star Wars. The WOC d20 Star Wars game is still a viable alternative (especialy Saga Edition), with it's own unique advantages.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

I like your assessment.

I think a lot of RPGers of the D&D genre often overlook the broad defenition of "defeating a monster" for xp purposes. Besides, using role-playing and flattering your way past an elder Red Dragon is a lot more satisfying than rolling a D20 eight hundred times in a vain attempt to slay it to earn that XP.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
I think a lot of RPGers of the D&D genre often overlook the broad defenition of "defeating a monster" for xp purposes. Besides, using role-playing and flattering your way past an elder Red Dragon is a lot more satisfying than rolling a D20 eight hundred times in a vain attempt to slay it to earn that XP.

you forget the treasure. Dragons have double standard treasure Very Happy

But yes, both sides have merit. The first dragon i killed in D&D was quite satisfying Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

you forget the treasure. Dragons have double standard treasure Very Happy

But yes, both sides have merit. The first dragon i killed in D&D was quite satisfying Smile

You never forget your first time. Very Happy
DarkBlade
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Though there are a few of us out there who play D&D who try to talk or trick their way past first.

(It gets humerous when the worst roleplayer in the group (me) has a tendancy to try that... Wink )

Quote:
You never forget your first time.

Ah, the old dragon, I remember my first encounter with one of them...dragon gave me a choice, Talk or fight. I tried to talk, dragon got bored, I tried to run and he ate me. (4th level character vs. dragon, who do YOU think would win...).
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkBlade wrote:
Quote:

Though there are a few of us out there who play D&D who try to talk or trick their way past first.

(It gets humerous when the worst roleplayer in the group (me) has a tendancy to try that... Wink )

Quote:
You never forget your first time.

Ah, the old dragon, I remember my first encounter with one of them...dragon gave me a choice, Talk or fight. I tried to talk, dragon got bored, I tried to run and he ate me. (4th level character vs. dragon, who do YOU think would win...).

I got lucky on a crit with my barbarian, full power attack, battleaxe. over 100 damage in one shot Very Happy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:

That sir is an epic quip. Very Happy
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

That sir is an epic quip. Very Happy

Haha, finally someone gets it!

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: