The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Increasing Starting Force Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Increasing Starting Force Skills Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Increasing Starting Force Skills Reply with quote

Under SW2e R&E, a character may be taught a new power each time a Force skill is improved one pip. But in R&E, I do not see anything about starting characters who allocate some of their starting 7D to their Force skills - do they get nothing, 1 per die, 1 per pip (which for 2D, would be 6 more powers!), or what?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I generally see is 1 Force power per pip. There are, of course, exceptions. One of the PbP games I'm running a Jedi in had all the Jedi in the group (KOTOR game) taught Force Harmony by a Master before we really got started. We had to journey to see and interview him for information related to our mission, and he taught us the power to help us because we were heading into a definite dark side influence. We got the power basically for free, without having to raise any skills. It's rare, but that does happen sometimes.

I personally prefer to use the 1 power per pip rule. It just keeps everything organized. Now, you have to keep in mind that for a power using multiple skills you have to have added a pip to each of the skills in order to raise it. Also, in my experience you can't 'bank' pips in the skills...meaning that if you have 3D in Alter, but only give the character Telekinesis because you don't want to give them any dark side powers, but have used all the pips for Control and Sense, you can't save those 'extra' pips for powers that use either Control or Sense with Alter once you've gained more pips in C or S. I'd be interested to know how others handle that one, because I've had many characters who've basically had those pips bleed away because I didn't use them right off the bat.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the why I have seen it is, you get 1 power for the first D in the force skill, then 1 per pip there after. So 2D would only have 4 force powers.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most gms i know only apply that 1 new power per pip in the skill for IN Game training.. Not the initial character generation. For that it is nearly always 1 per full die.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've always done the 1 per pip, including the initial D. By player and/or GM discretion this can be reduced or increased based on background (ie. one of my current characters started with far fewer powers than his skills would suggest, simply based on his background). We've also done the pip banking that Skyler described.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do it that as you buy, you spend them. no banking Razz

If you want more expensive powers, you have to train for longer (or spend more cps)

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I house rule it. I don't want them to start off TOO powerful. I give them one Force power for their beginning 1D that they allocated from their attributes, and then I generally give them two Force powers for every skill die they put into the power.

The one Force power for the Attribute allocation I think is by the R&E, but I'm not sure it specifies what to do about beginning skill dice and Force powers.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I house rule it. I don't want them to start off TOO powerful. I give them one Force power for their beginning 1D that they allocated from their attributes, and then I generally give them two Force powers for every skill die they put into the power.

That doesn't make sense to me. I find that starting as a Force user highly weakens a character compared to non-Force users; they're down 1-3 Attribute dice from the other characters and gain one to three special abilities that are all but useless at 1D; there are very few Force Powers you can hope to pull off at 1D... or even below 4D with any regularity, and those powers are usually fairly weak in terms of what they provide. They can (possibly) improve their Force Skills to semi-workable levels with skill dice, but then they're down several skill on top of the already reduced Attributes; to gain some sort of mild proficiency with the Force, the character has to sacrifice being able to do most everything else, which again, is a weak character.

I agree that as a Force User develops to 4D+ in their Force Skills, they can start getting powerful, but, until that point, they're generally disadvantaged compared to other characters.

Building a balanced, sensible Force User can be a challenge, especially in those early periods where their Force Skills are too weak to do anything, and they're hindered by a lack of Attributes and Skills. If they manage to survive long enough, however, they do become very powerful characters... much like they do in the films and books. The trick is surviving to get there Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Ankhanu on this. Unless you pick a race which is more powerful then the rest, you will be behind the rest of them.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
The one Force power for the Attribute allocation I think is by the R&E, but I'm not sure it specifies what to do about beginning skill dice and Force powers.

Yeah, I had never had R&E until recently, and just there have seen the rules for Force power accumulation, as opposed to earlier rules where you could just try to do anything but knew not to try higher things because you couldn't make the rolls anyway.

But I see nothing in R&E about what to do with initial dice allocations with regard to accumulating Force powers, and think it may have been a big error of omission to not address those. Though I certainly could have missed it hidden somewhere in the text, given the responses herein, it seems that it was unfortunately omitted though.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with what's been posting. You recieve one power for your initial D in a force skill and then one power every pip thereafter.

As a house rule though I've changed that. I leave it at 1 power per D with the option of spending 5 skill points to aquire additional powers beyond the D increases. I've ran some powerful forceusers, 10D+, and usually around 7D they'll have almost every power in the books. I prefer the feel that the character is unique in the powers they buy. Not every forceuser is a clone and they all can do the same thing. Example; Battle Meditation is what made Bastila, Vima Sunrider, and Noami Sunrider special, but within the rules I wonder why every forceuser doesn't have battle med.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way that the rules work, you only get a Force Power with each pip increase if a teacher teaches you that power (which necessitates the teacher possessing that power in the first place). Otherwise, you have to spend an additional 5CP to gain a power... and I believe that without a teacher it costs more. The teacher rule is one that is often missed or ignored in acquiring Force Powers... and it should be quite difficult to find a teacher (and makes a very good subject for an entire campaign), especially if your character is powerful in the Force, requiring finding even more powerful teachers.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't missed the teacher rule, but had always had powerful teachers that had almost every power. Perhaps scaling back the power of my teachers would be a better solution.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
We've always done the 1 per pip, including the initial D.

Since you seem concerned with the rules requiring teachers for the Force powers, it should be noted that by the rules, you only get 1 Force power for the initial D, not 1 per pip of the initial D. Perhaps you meant that, but it was not clear.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I started playing Second Edition and we didn't alter to that Revised and Expanded rule. By Second Edition rules, when you start with 1D in a Force Skill, you got 3 Powers to go with it. I believe that the rule for learning a Force Skill during game play was that you got a single power for that first 1D, however.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: