The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What Are The Limits ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> What Are The Limits ? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: What Are The Limits ? Reply with quote

Are there limits to the number of Dice a player can have in either Attribute, Skills or Specialization ? 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as I know, the limits for stats are their respective species maximum, though you can go beyond that (but its way expensive and not a grantee).
Loc mentions that rule somewhere on this board.
Also, you could increase your stats through cybernetics. But this too has its drawbacks.

As for skills and such, as far as I know there is no maximum outside of GM discretion.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximum number of dice that a character can have in an attribute is limited by the species. Each species has its own minimums and maximums. However, the number of dice someone can have in a skill or specialization is not limited.

Many game masters have set caps in order to preserve game balance. And some of the caps may be more in terms of setting appropriate challanges for characters with high skills. I mean, let's face it, if someone has a 10D in security systems, half of the Empire and a dozen criminal organizations would try to "persuade" the character to join their forces. Someone would simply be that valuable of a resource, and people will compete for that resource.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on page 33 now and in the section of Scenes and Rounds it states that a player spends a Character Point on his Strength roll to get an extra Dice (he actualy spends two and on the second roll he gets a 6 and gets to roll again for free), are those Character Points the same used to increased Attribute, Skills or Specialization. if so it seems a little waste full 8)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're the same ones. It may seem wasteful, but they can be the difference between life and death for a character. Also once a player realises that spending all their CP into skills, and what not, can mean the death of a character, they will leave some for this emergency expenditure (I generally leave between 5-10 CP on my characters).

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Many game masters have set caps in order to preserve game balance. And some of the caps may be more in terms of setting appropriate challanges for characters with high skills. I mean, let's face it, if someone has a 10D in security systems, half of the Empire and a dozen criminal organizations would try to "persuade" the character to join their forces. Someone would simply be that valuable of a resource, and people will compete for that resource.

Two other things to consider along those lines. One, if you have that high of a skill you will either be recruited, of eliminated....saying of course that you use that skill tons. Using any skill that high attracts attention.
The other thing ti consider is how high do you really need a skill to get...rolling more than 10 dice in any skill is rather over kill, unless you would need a force point to accomplish the task anyway.
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $0.02.

I never had limits set for characters (I was too used to the freedoms of the 1st Edition to change and I like having players to have "Heroes of the Galaxy" stats). However, to keep it a challenge for them, I adjusted stats of NPC's. The basic Stormtrooper stats was an average of about 6D or more in my book. The official heroes' and villians' (Luke, Vader, etc.) had 10D added to each of their attributes/skills. I never did adjust weapon damage, manueverability, movement, etc. Those I left stock.

I liked giving the players a chance to accelerate quickly (to keep it more cinematic in my mind) but I also adjusted the skill sets of the NPC's they ran across to keep it a challenge. I felt by doing this it kept truer to the movies, gave the players a chance to meet up with Luke, etc., be able to fight along side them without taking away the feel that they were better than the movie heroes, etc.

Any way. That's all I have to say about that (for now Smile ).
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the book I read it said that the level of technology in the galaxy was insufficient to give droids any dicepool higher than 13d but that was the only limit I ever encountered
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrawprin wrote:
My $0.02

Thats 2.05$ Canadian Laughing 8)

Kabal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellstorm wrote:
I'm on page 33 now and in the section of Scenes and Rounds it states that a player spends a Character Point on his Strength roll to get an extra Dice (he actualy spends two and on the second roll he gets a 6 and gets to roll again for free), are those Character Points the same used to increased Attribute, Skills or Specialization. if so it seems a little waste full 8)

In an effort to make the use of Character Points in game a little less wasteful, I have implemented a house rule where CP spent in game count towards improvement of the skill or stat. So, as they increase their odds of success, they learn from what they're doing.

If they are attempting to use a skill that they do not already possess, then each attempt costs a CP, and after 5 attempts (the cost to pick up a new skill, as I recall) they now have the skill, and may improve it normally.

I encourage my players to spend most of their points in this manner, as it makes more sense to learn from hands on experience than to artificially learn something between game sessions.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool idea.

My GM has a similar but looser system where if we use a skill often (especially if we spend CPs while trying to use it) he will sometimes give us a +1 to that skill at the end of that session. Not always though so they're usually a nice surprise
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Emperor reborn stats...

something like 17D alter?

For us "mere mortal" characters, my only limitation for my players is, if you get nearly as powerful as one of the "biggies" (Han, Luke, Vader, Obiwan, et al.), then you get the problems comiserate with the benefits.

After all, how many of our characters have the entire galaxy's fate on the tip of their lightsaber?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time i have placed any limits, was during a rise of the empire campaign, i said anyone wishing to play a force user could not have more than 8d combined in all 3 skills, 4d max in any one skill if they wished to remain under the emperors radar...

Other than that, i do try to encourage them to spend their cp on other things when they start getting into the 10d and above areas for their main skills. I personally do that for my characters when they hit 9d..
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The need for teachers of sufficient skill to aid in improving skills (the case for attributes, advanced skills, and Force skills, which I personally have adapted to also apply to regular skills once they reach the level fo 5D- can't remember if that's an actual rule or a house rule) effectively limits how high a skill can get- past a certain level, it will be nearly impossible to find a teacher that can actually have a higher skill in order to teach the PC. Likewise, attributes are limited by species maximums.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth noting, however, that while the phrase "species maximum" seems cut and dried, nowhere do the rules say that a character cannot improve his attributes beyond that value, and there are examples of characters who have attributes above that maximum. (E.g. Royal Guardsmen, who have 5D Dexterity standard.) It's just difficult, extremely expensive and terribly time-consuming to improve attributes that high, because you have to roll below the maximum's roll every time you improve an attribute.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: