The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Regaining the last force point
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Regaining the last force point Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Regaining the last force point Reply with quote

Do you always have at least one. Or is your las Fp gone if you use it for saving your own skinn? If so how do you get a new one?

You may fire when ready
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use it to save your own skin, it's gone. However, I believe you can be awarded one if you pull something off in heroic fashion, selflessly putting yourself in danger to rescue the damsel, etc...
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is what counts as a heroic action. I always had a smaller scale then Weg when these matter came up.

You may fire when ready
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noctum_carpe wrote:
The question is what counts as a heroic action. I always had a smaller scale then Weg when these matter came up.

Ultimately, it's up to the GM. Things like risking one's life to save someone else would certainly count, among others.
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But since im the Gm i would like some input on the question8)

Life saving: check, thats i my book to.

You may fire when ready
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noctum_carpe wrote:
But since im the Gm i would like some input on the question8)

Life saving: check, thats i my book to.

I do allow non force sensitives to regain their last force point, or even gain an extra when not spending it in a heroic way. But they must complete a heroic task without the help of a force point to get one (diving in front of a bolt to save someone, knowing you will probably die or something)

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my early days of GM'ing SW I noticed a tendency from my players to try to earn FP's. They knew the rules governing them and would put themselves in harms way on purpose to save another person or perform some heroic action simply to try and earn that FP.

Because of that I more or less stopped isssuing them 'by the rules' and instead I issue them more for the drama/emotion/roleplaying of the situation. Granted this didn't totally stop players from trying to earn them, but it did make the whole roleplaying experience more dramatic, emotional and fun.

I.E. #1 George is incapacitated and in the line of fire during a gun battle, Fred very matter of factly states: "Hey GM, I am going to run out into the line of fire risking my own life to pull George back to cover and safety." = No FP granted.

I.E. #2 Same situation but Fred says: "George is still out there! I close my eyes for a brief second and muster what courage I have left, I take one last deep breath and dart out into the line of fire screaming to my compatriots, I'm going in, cover me! Total panic grips me as the blaster fire whizzes by me as I try to pull George back to safety." = FP granted.

I'm also a bit stingier about issuing them too. Putting ones self in harms way is not the same as genuinely risking your character. Example: If Fred in the above example is a wookie with 6D strength and the imperials are using 4D damage blaster pistols he is less likely to earn that FP as opposed to him being the team pilot with a 3D strength and only a blast helmet on and only a 4D dodge skill. (P.S. I know Fred is a dumb name for a wookie, it's just an example, hehe) Wink

I've even at times been known to not issue them even though someone did something very dramatic and risked themselves to do it but got really lucky rolls or something. Example of this would be again, the above situation... Fred darts out very dramatically to save George. He rolls an outrageous dodge roll and the imperials shooting at him roll totally terrible blaster rolls and never even come close to hitting him. In a situation like that I've been known to not award an FP as well.

It's always been totally situational to me.

These are all just my thoughts on the FP thing, I'm sure everyone is going to have their own methods and such for how they handle it. Smile

Troops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6rqAJ3mGc
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, Fred the wookie. I like it Razz

But spamming aside Wink I think that is a good judge. if their actions can send a chill down your spine, its a good call for a FP Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd allow gaining a FP without spending one for exceptional heroic acts at dramatically appropropriate moments. This should be exceedingly difficult to do, both in terms of accomplishing the needed task and in how frequently the possibility arises.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our games we consider Force Points in such high regards that they almost never come into play. It's a very rare thing for a player to spend one, we usually one such moment every few years. And so, gaining points back is an even rarer thing.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've awarded them a couple of times. But it's been rare. Usually the Force point is earned when someone selflessly puts themselves in harms way in order to save someone else's skin, and done so in the proper idiom. There was a pretty dramatic battle and someone without Force or character points left threw themselves on top of a wounded NPC to shield him from a frag grenade blast a few feet from him.

The PC knew he had nothing to fall back on if the die rolls went wrong, but he knew that the NPC would likely be killed in the blast. That was worth a Force point to me.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a game I'm running at the moment my players have learnt the rules for gaining force points and now take a squad of low level NPCs into dangerous situations so they can 'save' them and harvest force points.

I think I'm going to need to curb that behaviour Confused

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're intentionally putting the NPCs in harm's way, only hoping to save them again? Err... that's not heroic, that's idiotic. It sounds like you can have in-game consequences.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For e it is not just being heroic to earn one, it is doing so at the dramitically appropriate time, just as when someone is trying to earn a bonus one...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't quite so blatent about it but yueah I'm just waiting until they slip up and I can hit them with some consequences Twisted Evil

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: