The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movement rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Movement rules. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Movement rules. Reply with quote

Does a characters movement take an entire action to perform (for sequence and intiative purposes)? Let's say Joebob the Pilot is going to take a regular move, 10 meters, and he is going to shoot someone. He has to make the move to get to this person in another room or something like that. This would be two actions for purposes of action penalties (-1D). Now, does Joebob have to move his first action, and then shoot his second action in, or can he move and shoot on his first action in the round. Hopefully, this makes sense.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your movement speed. If you want to walk your Move rating (10), that's Crusing speed, and it counts as an action (though you don't have to roll for it). If you want to walk at Crusing speed and fire, you'll suffer the standard -1D to you attack. Now, whether you first move or fire is up to you. If you have to walk into a room and then fire, than your first action is the movement and the second is the attack. You can do it the other way around, but then you'll fire outsie the room and THEN move into it, not a very smart move...

If you don't want to suffer Multiple Action Penalties, you have to move at Cautious speed (half your Move = 5). In this case the movement is a free action and you can roll your full attack. However, it still IS an action and so the attack will still be your second action that round..

Hope this helped.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatly you could shoot them move.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could could fire at the middle of you move action, but I would still rule that the attack is your second action.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 2e 2e r&e comparison (http://www.rancorpit.com/swrules.shtml), it says:

"Cautious Movement: Characters or vehicles move up to half their Move.

In Very Easy, Easy, and Moderate terrains, cautious movement is a "free action": it's not considered an action and the character doesn't have to roll her running or vehicle operation skill. "

Since it is not considered an action, I don't know that it should reduce other actions by 1D...
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys like the 2nd Ed R&E movement rules? They seem to overcomplicate things to me. I don't see what was wrong with the movement rules in regular 2nd Ed.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i never worried aobut movement rules. the players told me how they wanted to move, and i gave them a DC. if you want to go from all out to stop (i think its called the smugglers gambit) you make a roll, if you fail, bad things happen (huge DC, in the 30s)

if you fail by a bit, minor damage to the hull, spun out for a round
if you fail by alot, major damage, power out for a few rounds

I never want movement rules to get in the way. a player tells me where and how he wants to get somewhere, i do a rough estimation in my head, and say sure, 2 rounds you get there, make a roll so you dont trip.

As a GM, i try to get the least amout of rules required for the players to have to realize go on. If i could take out rolling i probably would (but then again, alot of my players love rolling the dice.) so, instead of getting bogged down in the how far an i move, i just make estimations and go from there. it gives a realism to the game, and helps immerse the characters into the game.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, quick and dirty, a GM after my own heart. Very Happy
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Personally, i never worried aobut movement rules. the players told me how they wanted to move, and i gave them a DC. if you want to go from all out to stop (i think its called the smugglers gambit) you make a roll, if you fail, bad things happen (huge DC, in the 30s)

if you fail by a bit, minor damage to the hull, spun out for a round
if you fail by alot, major damage, power out for a few rounds

I never want movement rules to get in the way. a player tells me where and how he wants to get somewhere, i do a rough estimation in my head, and say sure, 2 rounds you get there, make a roll so you dont trip.

As a GM, i try to get the least amout of rules required for the players to have to realize go on. If i could take out rolling i probably would (but then again, alot of my players love rolling the dice.) so, instead of getting bogged down in the how far an i move, i just make estimations and go from there. it gives a realism to the game, and helps immerse the characters into the game.

I have to agree, except for removing the dice rolling Very Happy . However, I have used the movement rules when the PCs were sneaking into a pirates' lair (James Bond style), but the emphasis during that scene was the movement, not battle.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Personally, i never worried aobut movement rules. the players told me how they wanted to move, and i gave them a DC.

That's how I did it in 1e, very loose, not any DCs either (not too much rough terrain in the desert, on a space station, in the city, etc., so doesn't come up much).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i am an odd one out as i do put in movement dc's in place for combats/chases, especialy important ones..
Ociek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I'm going to be GM and i have some problem with movement rules...

as i understand it is posible to divide movement but how should i count the divided movement in case of initiative and multiaction

let's say that my character decide to move witch cruisin speed (10) he succed the DC. he stands 2m behind the wall near the corner and wants to move this 2m shoot and move another 5m to hide over another corner

is he doing 3 actions acording to initiative rule (i mean changing the side of acting) or only 2

side A (my charcter) moves
side B (PC characters) shoots -> because he looses cover from the corner
A - shoots
B - shoots
A - moves over another corner

or

A moves and shoots
B shoots
A moves

or
A moves - shoots - movesa
B do nothin

Last edited by Ociek on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can move half your rated speed as a free action and still get your regular action off. So i would say he could move those 2 meters and get his shot off on his first init action, then move the remainder of his 'MOVE' on his second action.
Ociek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
You can move half your rated speed as a free action and still get your regular action off. So i would say he could move those 2 meters and get his shot off on his first init action, then move the remainder of his 'MOVE' on his second action.

yhym

So it means that you cannot combine the cruisin speed move with other actions. only cutious movement could be combined...

And what about if i want to move with cruisin speed is it possible to divide it to for example 2x5m moves? and how should it look during the combat ??

5m move as an action 1; other actons ; finishing the move as another action ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: