The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starfighter combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Starfighter combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take that as a credible source. Does that mean that a fan-made sourcebook would be time better spent on another project?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I have little faith that this lost unfinished book will surface anytime in the near future....
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall place what stats I have started in a new thread in the tools area, then.
yodastudent
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm totally new to this site, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area.

My friends and I are big fans of the D6 Star Wars, and starting up a new game. However, we're not really pleased with the space combat rules. I must confess that we're pretty miniatures and squares based. We would like some more dynamic space combat as well, and many of the ideas here are cool!
For now, let's just take the rules that are in the R&E book (vague as they are). I am in an X-wing, cruising at speed 10. If I never say that I am decelerating, is it correct that I have to nominate a move as one of my actions each round? Second, if I want to execute a 45 or 90 degree turn, how would one of you move the mini over the course of 10 squares? 5 up, turn 90 degrees, 5 over? Probably a silly question. I hope it makes sense. Thank you.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you're flying a ship, even if just moving in a straight line, you're using an action to keep it under control, after all you have to pay some attention to what you're doing. As for grid movement, that's really up to you. All that matters is finishing the turn in your alotted move.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry -- your earlier post on D6 to Star Warriors stat conversions no longer works. Do you still have this? I'm curious as to how you dealt with the turn numbers.

Also, has anyone tried to incorporate the maneuver rules from the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (2nd Ed, pgs. 79-81) into D6 starfighter combat? Some of the logistics seem a little confusing.

Finally, has anyone tried Kenneth Johnson's D6-Star Warriors morphed rules posted on BardGameGeek?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/12018/Star_Warriors.doc
awfulalex
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Star Warriors Bord game and it is very cool I like the mechanics of thrust, etc.

But I have downlaoded the new doc (Star Warriors 3rd Ed) and will check how it works for us.

Also the Rnegade Legion game had loads of rules on capital ship, star fighter, vehicle and people combat. maybe good idea to look at that as well?

I still think the ideal is to make a basic rule package for people that want to add a little flair, but prefer simple basic rules and then an advanced rule section where one put all the real technical stuff. and bring in the 3d element. (the dragon lance boardgame used tiles to stack ontop of each other so you could see at what altitude your dragon was)
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Sensors Reply with quote

You would use sensors way before you get eyeballs on the target, either with their own internal sensors or from an external controlling agency!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog

Last edited by Doomhead on Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry, Do you still have your conversion notes for this?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure do. Here ya go:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZRAPPHE3

Any questions, just ask.
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Ok, here's my set of conversion charts from 2nd Ed RPG to Star Warriors (at least what I need from it):

http://download.yousendit.com/23A4433371CEDDCB

Most of it is just replicated info from the Rules Companion. What I created was a direct conversion from Space to Max Speed, a chart of Turn Numbers related to Maneuverability and applied the Weapon Ranges to the hex system (assuming 1 hex = 4 space units).

Gry,

While I realize you a highly respected and very knowledgeable member of this forum, I must respectfully disagree with your assumption on scale. In leafing through the Star Warriors rules I couldn't find any mention of the scale of a hex, so I assume that you did what I did, which is use the strar destroyer to estimate the hex size. I have seen you state in other threads that 1 'space unit' is about 100m, so your assumption here would say that each hex is 400m. I believe that the hex in Star Warriors is 500m, by looking a the Star Destroyer Placement on p35 of Star Warriors, the one on the left because the hexes line up nicely, you can see that the SD only fully crosses 2 hexes. Since we know and SD is 1600m in length it would have to fully cross 4 hexes if they were 400m across. If you push the SD forward so that the bow touches the hexside in front of it the stern would only cover about 1/5 of the 4th hex, which works out perfectly for a 500m hex.

I also must disagree with you about the scale of a 'space unit'. A space unit's length varies according to the terrain of the area. While it is possible for it to only be 100m across, I believe that would only occur in something like a very dense asteroid field. Let me quote from the 2nd ed R&E (p.123) to illustrate my point.

Quote:

Sublight Speeds. Starships cover thousands of kilometers per second in open space. While they are moving much more slowly when orbiting planets and maneuvering through asteroid fields, their speeds are still incredible.
Rather than these use (should be 'use these' but I wanted the quote to be accurate) huge numbers for movement, the game uses "Space Units" to represent ship speeds and weapon ranges. The ships always move at the same proportional speeds.

It would take a space speed of 1300000 to even be traveling at a speed greater than 1000km/sec, let alone thousands, plural, using 100m per space unit, when traveling at All-Out (1300000*4). A Space of 12 traveling All-Out is less than Mach 3, to put that in perspective a craft traveling at Mach 3 would take 4.36 days to go from the Earth the the Moon, hardly what I would call incredible. Star Wars looks at movement, and weapons fire, from the pilots, or gunners, point of view. That is, it scales range and movement to match the difficulty rather than creating modifiers for different terrains and speed/maneuverability for weapons fire.

Star Warriors was meant as a stand alone board game not as an extension for Star Wars RPG, if you need proof of that I point to their offset chart and comments for conversion. What that means is that none of the mechanics can be assumed to be the same. When looking at Star Warriors, I didn't see any mention of the length of a turn, in Star Wars a Round is 5 seconds, but I think its considerably less than that in Star Warriors, maybe 1 second rounds or less, just from the way things happen in the game.

I'm pointing this out to you Gry, because I have seen how treat your PDF's with an attention to detail and figured that you would want to know. As of right now I have no solutions to converting the game for use with the RPG, but I am working on a system for character level stuff, which I believe has similar goals to what your looking for. Once I've ironed out the bugs in it, I will be expanding it for use with vehicles and starships. I would be willing to post it, once its a little more refined, if you or anyone else is interested.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you in most respects, but the thing is, all said and done, this conversion system really seemed to work quite well.

You are right that there isn't a proper fixed meter value to a space unit. It varies a lot. But in order to do this conversion, I had to apply a fixed value to it. My main evidence for using 1 space = 100 meters was the laser cannon range used in almost every ship, which establishes a relation between 1-3/12/25 space units and 100-300m/1.2/2.5 km. That any many other examples point to a 100 meters space unit, so I went with that.

I confess I don't really remember how I arrived at 1 hex = 400m, but I do remember that it was crystal clear at the time. I think I compared everything from ship's speeds, to weapon ranges and all, and everything seemed to point to a 400m hex. Which to me seems more important than how big they displayed the SD on that graph. Ship's sizes are never represented faithfully in that game, anyway.

As for the duration of a round, I don't know, maybe you're right. Bottom line is, using this converted system seemed to work very well for me and my group, and it was the only way to really integrate it with the RPG.
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I agree with you in most respects, but the thing is, all said and done, this conversion system really seemed to work quite well.

You are right that there isn't a proper fixed meter value to a space unit. It varies a lot. But in order to do this conversion, I had to apply a fixed value to it. My main evidence for using 1 space = 100 meters was the laser cannon range used in almost every ship, which establishes a relation between 1-3/12/25 space units and 100-300m/1.2/2.5 km. That any many other examples point to a 100 meters space unit, so I went with that.

I confess I don't really remember how I arrived at 1 hex = 400m, but I do remember that it was crystal clear at the time. I think I compared everything from ship's speeds, to weapon ranges and all, and everything seemed to point to a 400m hex. Which to me seems more important than how big they displayed the SD on that graph. Ship's sizes are never represented faithfully in that game, anyway.

As for the duration of a round, I don't know, maybe you're right. Bottom line is, using this converted system seemed to work very well for me and my group, and it was the only way to really integrate it with the RPG.

I'm glad your conversion is working well for you and your group, I just probably would have taken a slightly different approach.

I was pulled away a few times when making that post, so I didn't get everything in there that I was originally intending to. I had meant to mention seeing what you list as your main reason for the 100m space unit. The reasons that I disagree with it as a standard unit are; First that it doesn't really mesh with the movement description as I described above and Second weapons fired in a atmosphere have a reduced range compared to weapons fired in a vacuum, due to friction/diffusion.

If you didn't use the method I did, then the next most likely, would probably be multiplying by 4 to make All-Out movement fit in one game turn, using the converted speeds. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that the SD were done to scale, but I'm not really sure of that right now.

If you have any interest in discussing other ways of solving the conversion, I would be happy to continue this, otherwise I will let it die.

Edit: For some unknown reason I can't get my word processor to open your conversion notes at least not in a usable format. Do you think you could post it as a PDF file, so that I might get a clearer picture of all the conversions you did?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, Star Warrior Conversion in PDF form:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1M4QNGM0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: