The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fan Made Sourcebooks [discussion]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Fan Made Sourcebooks [discussion] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darklord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second greetings. I've seen discussions here involving projects in the works, or at the least, the desire to do them. I'm entertaining the idea of the Ewok Adventures SB. The Teek as an optional PC species would be an interesting avenue... I don't believe it has been done by WEG or WotC, so it would be a first. With all the SBs that exist in either game format, it is hard to imagine that any SW species has not seen inclusion somewhere...
Also, the wisties spark yet another possibility. Not sure if they'd be categorized as a species or if they'd be better suited as a "creature" write-up, though. Either way, as with the aforementioned, fairies in Star Wars would break new ground.
So yeah, whoever mentioned it--the EA SB has got my nod of approval!

Moving on, Gry's books haven't left a lot to be desired! They are splendid and THOROUGH in what each sets out to accomplish. Then I see the Force Powers book that Cheshire did in a joint-effort with Gry on the same page of Krapou's site... That leaves really only one book left for the imagination--Skills! For the sake of completion, I sincerely hope somebody will eventually tackle it. All the skills in one place would be an extremely nice character creation tool. There's so many I've read about being in the D6 Adventure Journals and Sourcebooks, and WotC has created a few also, but most of this information is unobtainable without a FAT wallet. Sigh...

If anybody ever decides to do it, I have only one suggestion--Beast Handling is a must-have. Somebody on another site told me there was a character called Shotarr Kass in Secrets of the Sisar Run who had this skill included in his write-up, but the skill itself is non-existent in that book. His proposed remedy was to use the animal handling skill in the new D6 Fantasy, re-title and modify it somewhat, etc, etc...
Well, all I'm saying is it would be nice to actually have a Beast Handling skill for STAR WARS players to select during character creation (especially after downloading the Template Collection and seeing a "Beast Handler" template with no actual Beast Handling skill listed... Odd).

Anyway, a BIG "THANK YOU" to everyone for all of the wonderful fanmade SBs!!! It will enrich so many campaigns because of all the support you've offered out of the kindness of your hearts!!! And, lastly, thanks for your patience during this long post. Hope I didn't wear out my welcome on the first day here!
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skill Beast Riding is on page 48-49 of the Second Edition, Revised and Expanded corebook. We always just changed the name to Beast Handling and broadened its scope.
Darklord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masque, out of curiosity, what governing attribute did you place it under? Was it Mechanical (as per the Beast Riding skill), or did you see it more as a Knowledge or Perception-based skill? Checking 2nd Ed. R&E: I see that Mechanical is more for vehicles/MOUNTS, thus a good placement for Beast Riding, but I personally feel that KNO or PER is the way to go (I'm leaning toward KNO) for a skill that would encompass the training/breeding, etc. of a particular creature. I might be wrong in this assumption. As I told Gry, I'm pretty new to the SW RPG, so I'm bound to err in judgment... Opinions?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people agree with you, but apparently the people at WEG thought that riding a horse was an awful lot like riding a bike. *shrug*
Darklord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the comparison regarding large enough beasts that can be ridden, like the tauntaun. You can ride it, so MEC/Beast Riding seems "appropriate enough". But would a Tusken Raider use MEC/Beast Handling for a pet Massiff?

The only relative skills I can find in my limited resources to handle that particular example are Alien Species & Scholar in 2nd Ed. R&E, and those 2 skills are governed by KNO. I dunno, it just "feels right" to me. Afterall, there would (one would think) be a lot of knowledge involved in attempting to tame/domesticate something that wild, right?

And no, nobody I know wants a pet massiff, btw. Just using an example Beast Handling scenerio that EVERYONE could visualize.

But anyhow, the whole reason I brought it up was for consideration of inclusion in a fanmade Skills sourcebook somewhere down the road, if it ever materializes...
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklord wrote:

But anyhow, the whole reason I brought it up was for consideration of inclusion in a fanmade Skills sourcebook somewhere down the road, if it ever materializes...

I'll give you the fact that there are a lot of ways for the system to grow with fan-made skills. I wouldn't count on it becoming a full-length book of skills, particularly becuase the most expansive list of official skills only occupies a single chapter. However, there are lots and lots of 3-7 page supplements that fans have made. Also, consider writing up your own article and submitting it to the D6 Universe. ( http://www.dimfuture.net/d6universe ) It has a lot of great things going on over there. I typed up a few things that I didn't think was large enough for a book, and Grimace gladly hosted.

If you do, I'd gladly donate a skill or two I've made for your work.
Darklord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. But wasn't the Force Powers Book a mere 51 pages? And, if you take out the front & back covers, the blank page, TOC & appendix--it only totals 41 pages (I think) of actual force powers. Looking at the core RB, you're right: skills are but a single chapter, under 29 pages. But all we'd be talking about is another 12 or so pages to match the FP count, right?...

I didn't know how a Skills Book proposal would be received by the members of this site (it's definitely not looking good so far). Just pitching the idea out there on another great all-in-one book idea, that's all. And I'm willing to bet between WEG's Journals & supplements and WotC's SBs and website material, along with a few fanmade skills--the actual page count could be around the same amount as FP.

Again, I felt the idea was worth mentioning, so players could have all the skills in a single sourcebook to choose from. Thanks for the replies I've received so far... I'm happy to have gotten some feedback.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion. The way that things generally work around here is just a matter of a few people getting enough enthusiasm for project, and then doing it.

My personal enthusiasm is running a bit low for a couple of reasons. 1) I've just agreed to help work on a RotS Galaxy Guide, and 2) I was reading on another board today where the Force Powers book cought quite a bit of flack for distributing WEG material. So, I'm probably not going to be doing another project where official stats are compiled.

You've got a fair bit of merit in saying that it would be good to have the skills all in one place, plus the addition of a few fan-made ones. I've got a list of skills that are listed in not only the main rulebook, but also a number of other skills scattered through WEG's stuff. Sure the document that puts the descriptions all in one place would be nice, but given the points mentioned above, I'm probably going to pass.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklord wrote:
Masque, out of curiosity, what governing attribute did you place it under? Was it Mechanical (as per the Beast Riding skill), or did you see it more as a Knowledge or Perception-based skill? Checking 2nd Ed. R&E: I see that Mechanical is more for vehicles/MOUNTS, thus a good placement for Beast Riding, but I personally feel that KNO or PER is the way to go (I'm leaning toward KNO) for a skill that would encompass the training/breeding, etc. of a particular creature. I might be wrong in this assumption. As I told Gry, I'm pretty new to the SW RPG, so I'm bound to err in judgment... Opinions?

I left it under Mechanical. My view of the Mechanical skill is that it doesn't necessarily have to do with machinery, but it does have to do with operational skills. Getting an animal to do something (carry a person, behave, etc) is definitely an operative skill. My conception of the skill is that it doesn't have anything to do with training or breeding, only with making use of an already trained animal. This would include mounts, but it would also encompass and type of working animal, like a police dog, or a pack mule, etc.

Skills that have to do with creating or repairing things go under Technical, in my book. Something like Animal Husbandry, which is where the breeding and training would go, would therefore be categorized under Technical, as would a skill like Farming.

I'm at work, and don't have access to my books, but if I recall correctly, all the Programming and Repair type skills are under Technical, and all the skills like Piloting and Repulsorlift Ops are under Mechanical, so I feel fairly confident in my way of breaking it down.
Darklord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masque, you would definitely know above me. As I said, I'm really new to the game, and you make excellent points I've never thought of before. In the "Operative Skills" sense, I certainly agree. I always saw MEC as vehicles & mounts only--stuff you RIDE on or in (I guess you could say I failed my PERCEPTION roll)... And breeding/creating, training/repairing are linear enough for gameplay. So TEC in that regard is a good fit. Thanks a mil for the insight!

And, Cheshire, I think you're doing what's right for you. I can't fault you a bit for how you personally feel. I had no idea that book received such criticism. I can see where some would frown upon taking it Verbatim from prior sources, but the real facts are: it did contain new material, the presentation was new, and so was the concept--having a book of nothing but Force Powers has never been done before.

But, it's perfectly fine with me if you never endeavor in another such project (I never meant to imply that you had to be the one to do the book--if I gave that impression, PLEASE accept my apology). I honestly don't have a preference on who does a book of skills, I would just like to see it done by somebody somewhere down the road...

I'm glad to hear you like the thought of a Skills SB. I was beginning to think NOBODY else cared for the idea. I would be more than willing to contribute to such a project myself, but as I told Gry, I don't have much in the way of material right now...
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no appology necessary. We're all friends here, right? Smile

Anyway, if you get the bug to start to work on a skills list, I'd be sure to make note which skills are official, and which are fan made. I don't know how many times I've been to websites and I'm trying to figure out which is which because there are no designations. I do have to tip my hat the guy that made the "Jedi Handbook." As much as I didn't like much of what was in there, he at least made a good effort on letting you know what was and wasn't home-brew.
Battlestar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on all these books guys. Now to print them all out is gonna take some time Wink
Yank
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the core book?
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm this is Fan Made books, Yank. There was a thread ages ago with teh WEG books, but that was taken down.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a project on another board to create a "combined edition" rulebook that makes use of the D6 Space from WEG. It has very little in the way of re-printing actual rules (he doesn't want to get into copyright issues), but it will print tweaks and compromises between the R&E and D6S.

It's actually a pretty interesting venture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 11 of 46

Jump to: