The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Accelerate Healing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Accelerate Healing Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Accelerate Healing Reply with quote

On last night's gaming session we had a bit of a surprise. The group's Jedi wanted to heal our commander and decided to use his "Heal Another" Force Power. So I pulled my brand new "Force Powers" pdf to check the rules and was shocked to realise that neither this power nor the "Heal" power was included in there. After much scepticism we realized that those had been fan-made powers from the old Force Powers doc we had used until then. While making the new Force Powers pdf, I never noticed those powers were being dropped.

For the moment we simply came up with a difficulty and moved on with the game, but I knew I would have to get to the bottom of this later on. The reason we used the "Heal" and "Heal Another" fan-made force powers was that they functioned like a sort of "Force Medpack", healing the person one wound level instantly, quite a handy trick in the middle of combat.

So, now we come to Accelerate Healing (and Accelerate Another's Healing), which I always found to be pretty useless in action since all it did was allow two natural healing rolls in the same day, 12 hours apart. And well, when you're in the middle of the action you don't really have 12 hours to wait until you can heal. But now, reading carefully the entry in the 2nd Ed RE Book, I see that it can be interpreted that you make one natural healing roll immediately and another 12 hours later. Now that would be a whole different case, and would mean this power easily makes the fan-made Heal and Heal Another powers unnecessary.

So, how do you folks see this power? I always found it reasonable that if you're healing naturally (albeit in a Force-accelerated way) you would have to wait some time until your body cured your wounds, it wouldn't work instantaneously. I'm not sure what the game designers meant, though, as it seems to allow you to make your first natural healing roll immediately upon activating the power.

I just want to decide whether I can use Accelerate Healing instead of Heal, or if I have to bring back that fan-made power.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the three gaming groups I had, we always made immediately (well after one minute of concentration) the first healing roll and the other 24 hours later. Smile

For us the duration between the healing rolls is linked to the natural healing rate of the species : a naturally fast-healing Jedi could use the power more often.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting aside the issue of faster-healing species, I take it that this way your group handles the power is more of a house rule than just the way you interpreted the power, right? Cause the power's entry clearly doesn't state a 24 hours wait period between rolls, but a 12 hours one.

The real muddle in that description is whether you have to wait 12 hours for the first roll or just for the 2nd.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I guess it was a house rule. I was use to make sure that the power could be useful (almost instant healing roll) but not abused (can't be used during the next xx hours).

By the book, I think that you could do your first healing roll after 12 hours.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First roll after the power is activated, second 12 hrs later...

Though since the roll IS natural healing still, it can worsen the character (which in one game it did), pushing them over the edge from mortally wounded to dead (all ones on his dice).
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Krapou thinks the book means 1st healing in 12hs, and garkhal thinks it means immediately upon power activation. What do the rest of you think?

And on the subject of healing, I'd like to add a little thing about medpacks as well. After reading the whole entry from the rulebook carefully, I don't see anything stating that you can't make several sequential uses of medpacks on a patient, healing him several wound levels in a row. All the book seems to say is that if you fail your First Aid roll by 10+ then no more medpacks can be used in that patient for 24hs. But what if you don't fail like this (either failing by a small margin or succeeding)? Then theoretically you could take a new medpack and make a new First Aid roll immediately. You could take an Incapacitated patient and after spending 3 medpacks and making 3 successful Moderate First Aid rolls he would be fully healed, apparently in a very short amount of time. Is there anything in the rules against this (appart from the increased difficulty for each subsequential medpack use)? How do you handle this in your game?
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 'Accelerate healing', I guessed that the process was the same than natural healing : I guessed that you need to wait some time before making any healing roll.

About medpacks, you're right : you can use multiple medpacks in a row. The only problem is that you don't always have as many medpacks as you want (and of course you could fail your roll)
Anyway, if you don't feel ok with it, you can state that heavy wounds need bacta to be really healed (and that medpacks will only provide painkillers, bandaging, etc. for such wounds, enabling the wound to be 'healed' only for a short amount of time).
But this again... is a house rule Wink
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally agreeing w/ the "get one RIGHT NOW" and another in 12h...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

And on the subject of healing, I'd like to add a little thing about medpacks as well. After reading the whole entry from the rulebook carefully, I don't see anything stating that you can't make several sequential uses of medpacks on a patient, healing him several wound levels in a row. All the book seems to say is that if you fail your First Aid roll by 10+ then no more medpacks can be used in that patient for 24hs. But what if you don't fail like this (either failing by a small margin or succeeding)? Then theoretically you could take a new medpack and make a new First Aid roll immediately. You could take an Incapacitated patient and after spending 3 medpacks and making 3 successful Moderate First Aid rolls he would be fully healed, apparently in a very short amount of time. Is there anything in the rules against this (appart from the increased difficulty for each subsequential medpack use)? How do you handle this in your game?

Several gm's i know have a house rule for med packs that they can only stabilisze someone at MW not heal them.. but that is a house rule.. The only thing i can think of to hold them, is the number carried (who carries more than 2-3 at a time), and having someone else out of the fight using them...
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the Accelerate Healing powers (thanks to Cheshire's & Gry's PDFs, as my books are all packed in boxes at the moment Sad ) I would interpret them as 1st roll immediately after activation of power, and another 12 hours later. The catch is you can't use the power again for a further 12 hours on the same character.

"Multiple medpacs can be used on a character within a single day, but increase the first aid difficulty one level for each additional use" 2nd Ed R&E Book Pg98

As I read it - use is limited by Medpacs on hand and ability of character using them (skill level usually limits my group).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Multiple medpacs can be used on a character within a single day, but increase the first aid difficulty one level for each additional use" 2nd Ed R&E Book Pg98

Though technically you are rolling the same number each time, as the more you heal the less the target is..
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly is one way to interpret the rule, garhkal Smile . I however, interperet it to mean if 1st roll is Moderate due to wound level, second roll is Difficult regardless of the wound level.

WEG couldn't possibly write the system without leaving loop-holes for different interpretations. Personally I like it that way! It keeps me a little more open-minded, and on my toes, when playing in a game run by another GM.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also interpret that the difficulty is based on your wound level, not the wound level you started with. So if you don't fail any rolls, the sequential rolls all tend to be the same difficulty.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it working that way.. Or better yet, how's about making the second (and third) med pack used in a 24 hr period a set diff, rather than based of wound level.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and, if i remember correctly, each time you use an extra medpack past the first in a 24 hour peroid, the difficulty level increases by 1.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: