The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Brawl/Melee Parry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Brawl/Melee Parry Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buschman5000
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Brawl/Melee Parry Reply with quote

I was just wondering if there was a reason the brawl parry is a seperate skill from brawl and the same for melee parry and melee. It just seems to me that they'd be the same skill.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the treatment of Lightsabre in this regard, I'm not sure.
Though I do see a reason to separate; one may be good at hitting, but not so good at avoiding a hit.
Buschman5000
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

Though I do see a reason to separate; one may be good at hitting, but not so good at avoiding a hit.

Bargain : Some might be good at bargaing a higher price for something they're selling, but bad at bargaining down a price for something they're buying. Why aren't the two bargaing abilities. Bargain Up and Bargain Down.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because generally in an RPG people give a lot more importance to fighting than bargaining...
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Because generally in an RPG people give a lot more importance to fighting than bargaining...

Sad but true.
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brawl/Melee Parry Reply with quote

Buschman5000 wrote:
I was just wondering if there was a reason the brawl parry is a seperate skill from brawl and the same for melee parry and melee. It just seems to me that they'd be the same skill.

I think the two seperate skills are cool, since it lets you distinguish "fighting styles." (Also, I add a skill called Lightsaber Parry to be consistent.)

4d melee and 2d melee parry? Offensive fighter.
3d melee and 3d melee parry? Well-rounded fighter.
2d melee and 4d melee parry? Concentrates mainly on defense.

Does it make sense to merge the two skills? Sure, but you lose that flavor and it becomes like every other game out there. If I were going to start combining skills, I'd start with some of the more useless candidates first.

(FYI, this topic's been done before, you might find some useful insights in that thread.)
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the separation of skills was utterly ridiculous. It quite literally makes it twice as hard to learn to use a sword as it is to learn to use a lightsabre. And no, a base difficulty of 20 for lightsabres is not sufficient compensation. There are several melee weapons just as hard to use, and a few that will even hurt you just like a lightsabre if you fail the roll enough. It's ludicrous.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it seems odd because my group struggled over this same issue. This is not going to be very helpful but I seem to remember some kind of question & answer colomn (ISB Intercepts?) that addressed this question and whatever answer the WEG employee gave was enough to convince me. I'll look through all my old SWAJ and see if I can find it. It might have also been in the old AOL Q&A sessions that WEG used to have.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always thought the separation of skills was utterly ridiculous. It quite literally makes it twice as hard to learn to use a sword as it is to learn to use a lightsabre. And no, a base difficulty of 20 for lightsabres is not sufficient compensation. There are several melee weapons just as hard to use, and a few that will even hurt you just like a lightsabre if you fail the roll enough. It's ludicrous.

But to be fair, you do have to learn three skills to use a lightsaber: Lightsaber, Control, and Sense. So making Jedi learn another lightsaber skill called Lightsaber Parry would slow down Jedi even more, in my book.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can use a lightsabre. Period.

To use one with all the bells and whistles you need Control and Sense, but anybody can pick one up, ignite it, and wave it about. If they wave it about long enough, and are lucky enough to do it without lopping off anything, they'll eventually learn to reliably use the thing with no force skills whatsoever.

Even a standard Human can, as a starting character, start out with 6D Lightsabre skill which equates to an average roll of 21. Add in generous character point use and it's not inconcievable that you could have lightsabre duellists out there who have no knowledge whatsoever of the Force.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. And i am one of those, who feels the skilss should remain seperate. I have had plenty of chacters made with the precept they were good at defense, but sucky at offense, so had high parries and dodge but sucky to hit.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garhkal, there's no reason such a character wouldn't work with a combined skill. Merely specialize in defensive moves.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specializations with those skills are in the use of specific weapons, not specific moves.
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
Even a standard Human can, as a starting character, start out with 6D Lightsabre skill ...

I'd never allow that in my game, personally. (I'm assuming "standard human" means non-Jedi.)
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
So making Jedi learn another lightsaber skill called Lightsaber Parry would slow down Jedi even more, in my book.

I use Lightsaber Parry instead of Lightsaber Combat. No one in our group likes LS Combat anyway (since it's a two-roll power.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: