The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Is Mechanical too weak?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Is Mechanical too weak? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Is Mechanical too weak? Reply with quote

Is Mechanical the "dump stat" in SW d6? Over the years, I've noticed that players (myself included) tend to short it more than the other stats. I guess the rationale is "Let someone else fly the ship/speeder/whatever." Does anyone else agree, or is this just a consequence of our playstyle (which doesn't feature starship combat that much.)
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dump stat tends to be either Knowledge of Perception. I like to be able to pilot stuff.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this proves everyone plays it differently and so there aren't really any "dump stats", it's just how YOU play it. In my games Mechanical is very important, and so is Perception. I would say that the dump stats in my group are KNW and TEC.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find it a dump stat at all. I find the "let someone else pilot it" mind frame will screw you over more often than not. There isn't always someone else around to pilot for you; in those moments you'll wish that you hadn't neglected it... nothing like a good crash or not being able to outrun/catch someone in a pursuit to bring things into light.

I suppose if I've ever thought of something as a dump stat, it's maybe been technical... though, like any other attribute, treat it as a dump and you're going to be in poodoo when something breaks and you're stranded... or if you need to get into something and can't get it open (security, demolitions) Razz
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's hillarious what always winds up happening. My group always has one guy with a huge Mechanical attribute, and he pilots the ship. Then the group gets thrown into a speeder chase where they have two or three two-seater swoops. One guy can't do it all.

I try to encourage my group to diversify,and it winds up being a bad idea to have just one person with a good mechanical attribute. People need to fire shipboard blasters, operate shields, and fly the ship. If you have one person do that and they wind up incapacitated in a ground battle, you have the rest of the group trying to button-mash the controls in space.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I think it's hillarious what always winds up happening. My group always has one guy with a huge Mechanical attribute, and he pilots the ship. Then the group gets thrown into a speeder chase where they have two or three two-seater swoops. One guy can't do it all.

I try to encourage my group to diversify,and it winds up being a bad idea to have just one person with a good mechanical attribute. People need to fire shipboard blasters, operate shields, and fly the ship. If you have one person do that and they wind up incapacitated in a ground battle, you have the rest of the group trying to button-mash the controls in space.

I had one combat happen where they had just gotten smacked around by stormies, and the pilot was stil out cold (out of med packs), so their next highest mech guy had to pilot (3d iirc)... Man were they shafted... even with me NOT having the enemy combine/use tactics, the standard gunnery going against them was tiered for the main pilot (as that is who the enemy captain was briefed on)... they had 7d+2 iirc in gunnery with 2d for FC from their weapons....
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing was a Jedi character in my game, who had only 2D MEC and no skills whatsoever. He stole a Lambda Shuttle, and managed to make a fairly safe journey on account of his "Enhance Attribute". However, when it came time to land, his dice failed him and his character ended up forgetting to raise the wings before landing. That put Mos Eisley's Docking Bay 84 out of comission for a long while.... And made him the joke of pilots everywhere...
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Knowledge to be the primary, and Technical the secondary dump stats (save for First Aid). Mechanical can be neglected, but usually every player gives at least some attention to Starship Piloting and Gunnery.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
I find Knowledge to be the primary, and Technical the secondary dump stats (save for First Aid). Mechanical can be neglected, but usually every player gives at least some attention to Starship Piloting and Gunnery.
Like I did. Do you remember how we'd all be in mortal danger if I climbed into any ground vehicle at all? It turns out, you can't neglect speeder operation, either.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:

On tech bein neglected.. Start having damage build up in their ships, to where it causes problems. Or their blasters/armor get damaged. Or enemies rig bombs on their ships that they NEED to defuse cause once they sit down on the ship it activates and detonates if they get off the chair.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On tech bein neglected...
Usually a technical problem can wait for another character to make the roll. If you are suddenly in a chase scene you can't wait for your pilot buddy to show up.

That being said, I think STR is the only attribute I have yet to see a player want to use as a dump stat.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some have wanted to use Dexterity?! Shocked

Hard core OT, all the way!
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree, the attributes and skills are pretty well arrayed, because though I have seen scores neglected, rarely do I see them dumped. This is particularly true in my mind for Mechanical, even in ground/foot focused games, I find chases, particularly vehicle or mount based chases, are too big of an element in SW to neglect entirely, so a character may not focus on this element, but it is rarely truly dumped.

If there are any areas I see as most likely dumped (in contradiction to my previous statement) it would be Knowledge or Technical simply because it is easier to rely on a companion in those areas, unlike Dexterity or Mechanical (single pilot vehicles being a good example).

That said I have seen Strength and Dexterity severely neglected on occasion, usually on techie-type characters like slicers, or pilots who can't keep from tripping over their own two feet.

That is one reason why I like the D6 system so much, it offers the player to portray such a broad and varied selection of character types, while still keeping them mechanically viable, something I feel D20 and other level based systems often struggle at (to speak generally).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
My dump stat tends to be either Knowledge of Perception. I like to be able to pilot stuff.

Dumping Perception never worked in our games...

To many times the conversations went like this..

GM (suddenly): Ok 'Zollum', roll your Perception dice..

Zollum: Ok (rolls 2D+1), I got 8...

GM: Oh ok....'You suddenly feel a sharp cold pain as you are stabbed in the back with a vibroblade...'. Roll Strength!
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
GM (suddenly): Ok 'Zollum', roll your Perception dice..

Zollum: Ok (rolls 2D+1), I got 8...

GM: Oh ok....'You suddenly feel a sharp cold pain as you are stabbed in the back with a vibroblade...'. Roll Strength!

lol, though surprise has always been part of the game, I've never considered starting an encounter so brutally... gives me ideas. Twisted Evil

I rarely dumped Perception myself, I liked the skills too much (could say the same of all the attributes... I like jack-of-all-trades characters) and always saw initiative as too important... I'd reduce strength first and hope a solid Dex/Per, and when necessary, a few CPs would keep me from being hit in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: