The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gambling..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Gambling.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Gambling.. Reply with quote

How do you work gambling into a roll with profit/loss and such. sure, i can see who is teh better gambler, but how much do they win/lose... and how do you do that?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are depends on how well they rolled, what they are playing and how much they bet...

basically... look at your poker hands or similar for sabacc... and roll accordingly... although, for something like that I'd make several rolls of both gambling and perception (to bluff and/or see if they're bluffing)...
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably work out a formula based on what the stakes are. Say the stakes are low - then the winner gets 10cr * the difference between the rolls.

Maybe, if the player wants higher stakes, set difficulties to get into those higher-stakes games. Maybe it's Very Easy to get into a low-credit game (10cr), but to get into the high-credit game (1000+cr), it's a Difficult roll.

Or you could just say that each hand is for a set number of credits.

Gambling conflicts are usually pretty boring, though. Make them interesting by having the player put up his ship! Or the reputation of the player rides on him winning the game - if he loses, people think he's a loser. I guess what I'm saying is: tie the stakes of the game into the plot.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both strategies in my games: detailed gambling rules, and just winging it with a single die roll. I think the detailed gambling formulas slow down the game and take away the mystery of "being a gambler". I also think the single die roll = how much you win/lose detracts too much from the excitement and tense atmosphere of gambling (and also detracts from the "mystery" as well). So, what I've come up with as a compromise is a list of actions that a player can attempt during a gambling session that is sort of like using the chase rules for gambling. Now keep in mind this really only applies to games of skill, not random chance games like slot machines and so forth.

The character gambling gets to use "gambling maneuvers" during the event that affect the outcome, just like in a speeder chase. Does he try to bluff? Does he put on his poker face? Does he try to read his oponents face? As for how much money is at stake, I tie it to how high the stakes are by making that the "base difficulty" as in the terrain difficulty in a chase scene. If a PC finally "outmaneuvers" all his oponents, he wins, and he gets an amount of money based on the stakes. That way a PC can never loose more money than they are willing to gamble with in one single shot. I let the PCs change the stakes during the game too, to represent taking advantage of weak oponents, and minimizing their losses in a bad situation, like a real gambler would do.

Everyone starts out at "point blank range". The object is to get so far ahead of the others that they are beyond extreme range, when that happens, you win! Each round the players choose to engage in various maneuvers that can get them ahead, or knock other players out of the game. Just look at the chase maneuvers and change the names to something logical, like "Play Dirty", "Read opponent", "Risk it all", "Play it safe", "Poker Face" or whatever. That way you can carry over the fast-pased suspenceful nature of chases into gambling as well without inventing new rules that you have to explain to everyone.

Scott
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's some really good creative thinking, man. Congratulations! Way to use the existing rules to your advantage. I'll have to keep that in mind and see how it works in-game.
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice scott.

I've been looking for some gambling ideas and I think this might fit the bill in my game.

Thanks for sharing.

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambling (Sabacc) came up in one of my games, and I was not prepared for it, so I was forced to improvise as the players really wanted to gamble. So I made up the following set of rules on the spot:

Everyone rolls their gambling roll and a D20 The goal is to get 20, or as close to. The gambling roll represents their read on other players, and the D20 represents their hand.

The game is played in 3 stages (like poker) everyone antes and the game starts. It goes as follows Roll -> Bet -> Roll -> Bet -> Roll -> Bet -> Reveal winner. Each betting stage functions like poker (bid an amount, call or raise). Each rolling phase functions as follows: Keep your D20 roll or re-roll your D20 (your choice). I thought of half way through to roll 2D6 in the open - if the wild came up a 1, player X (value of second dice) was forced to re-roll their d20.

Since it was always 1 PC vs 3-6 NPC i would just roll a handful of dice, line them up where they fell to get the respective players hands and gambling roll. I would then give the player "information" that he can read from a high or low roll, and would play the NPCs according to the roll that they received. (getting good info, getting false reads, etc)

I ruled that 1 represented the idiots array, and that a 20 rolled on the first roll had represented pure sabacc and claimed the 15% of each pot that went into the table pot

I had an excel spreadsheet to help me do calculations and keep track of bidding.

The players loved playing this so much, we actually ended up spending the entire session doing sabacc (about 3 hours). Some people lost money, some gained money but EVERYONE had a blast.

Now in hind sight I would make the following changes:
each player rolls 4D10, each die representing a card
Bidding wold stay the same
Cards would randomly change as before, but a D4 would be rolled to determine which card was forced to be changed
Idiots array would be rolling all 1

This way the simulated game is closer to the real game, and can be varied much easier based on various sabacc rules (neutral field, no randomness, etc)

Now these rules are a bit more complicated, but I think they are a bit more realistic, and add a bit more fun to the game (and variation). this version definatly puts more strain on the GM as he has much more dice to roll in a larger game, but I think it would still be worth it (perhaps the GM always rolls 2D20 for ease or something)

These are just my 2 creds worth, and letting you know a group of gamers seemed to enjoy this method quite a bit.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Gambling (Sabacc) came up in one of my games, and I was not prepared for it, so I was forced to improvise as the players really wanted to gamble. So I made up the following set of rules on the spot:

Everyone rolls their gambling roll and a D20 The goal is to get 20, or as close to. The gambling roll represents their read on other players, and the D20 represents their hand.

The game is played in 3 stages (like poker) everyone antes and the game starts. It goes as follows Roll -> Bet -> Roll -> Bet -> Roll -> Bet -> Reveal winner. Each betting stage functions like poker (bid an amount, call or raise). Each rolling phase functions as follows: Keep your D20 roll or re-roll your D20 (your choice). I thought of half way through to roll 2D6 in the open - if the wild came up a 1, player X (value of second dice) was forced to re-roll their d20.

Since it was always 1 PC vs 3-6 NPC i would just roll a handful of dice, line them up where they fell to get the respective players hands and gambling roll. I would then give the player "information" that he can read from a high or low roll, and would play the NPCs according to the roll that they received. (getting good info, getting false reads, etc)

I ruled that 1 represented the idiots array, and that a 20 rolled on the first roll had represented pure sabacc and claimed the 15% of each pot that went into the table pot

I had an excel spreadsheet to help me do calculations and keep track of bidding.

The players loved playing this so much, we actually ended up spending the entire session doing sabacc (about 3 hours). Some people lost money, some gained money but EVERYONE had a blast.

Now in hind sight I would make the following changes:
each player rolls 4D10, each die representing a card
Bidding wold stay the same
Cards would randomly change as before, but a D4 would be rolled to determine which card was forced to be changed
Idiots array would be rolling all 1

This way the simulated game is closer to the real game, and can be varied much easier based on various sabacc rules (neutral field, no randomness, etc)

Now these rules are a bit more complicated, but I think they are a bit more realistic, and add a bit more fun to the game (and variation). this version definatly puts more strain on the GM as he has much more dice to roll in a larger game, but I think it would still be worth it (perhaps the GM always rolls 2D20 for ease or something)

These are just my 2 creds worth, and letting you know a group of gamers seemed to enjoy this method quite a bit.
I'm sure you said it in there somewhere, but where does the Gamble skill actually come into play in this kind of system?
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are right, it is in there Wink

Gambling roll is your "read" of other players. EG:

NPC rolls a 18 on the D20 and a 7 on his gambling
PC rolls 17 on the D20 and a 30 on her gambling

I tell the PC that they are pretty sure that the NPC is beating them. the closer the gambling rolls to eachother the less info you get, if the NPC beats them they can get no info, or false info etc. Really up to you how much and what info you give htem, but basically gambling roll gives the PC a hint to what others have.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott and vong, I really like your ideas for spicing up gambling.

But vong, using a d20 in a D6 games just seems... wrong. It's somehow... disturbing. Confused
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

But vong, using a d20 in a D6 games just seems... wrong. It's somehow... disturbing. Confused

lol, you can switch em all to d6s, but it was easier to roll 1d20 then 4d6 Smile

and the whole group is d20 and d6 gamers so we had all kinds of dice so it worked for us Smile

DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Whill wrote:

lol, you can switch em all to d6s, but it was easier to roll 1d20 then 4d6 Smile

and the whole group is d20 and d6 gamers so we had all kinds of dice so it worked for us Smile

Our group is like this. We switch from D6, D20, and D10. Also some other random systems we make up along the way. Lol
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly! use what you have available to you Smile

DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
exactly! use what you have available to you Smile

We usually do. =]. We do cross-genre games sometimes also, all be it though, we use the same system for them. Like, a D20 Modern/D20 Star Wars mix.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not averse to using polyhedral dice then there was, at one point, a pdf available on rpgnow detailing various d20 methods for handling gambling. You might not use the docmument wholesale, but I'm sure that it would provide some great ideas. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: