The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Learn how to play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Learn how to play. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yank
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real problem is me having it only on pc.. it lags sometime since its a big file.. so i need to take my time.
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to post on Character Creation - a totally different method of doing it - and then I'll follow that up with "what do we do next?"

It's pretty simple. You come up with a dude that does cool things. The star of your own movie!

Take a look at the templates in the back of the book. (I'm assuming you have those.) Any one of those look cool? Would you watch a movie about that guy? Cool, that's your guy.

I know that you're supposed to assign 7 points ("dice") to skills right now, but don't worry about that.

Okay. So what you need is a Situation. Let's say you're making a movie. What is the very first thing you see on the screen? Make it something cool that you'd want to watch - you don't want to see Vorpal Dursk drinking tea with his grams. You want to see him fight in the gladiator pits of Sarkal IV!

So start with something cool like that. Something that would make you sit up from your seat in the movie theatre and cheer.

Now what? Okay, your guy wants to do something, right? You say what you are going to do; if there's some other guy (or monster), or a stormtrooper, or Darth Vader, who wants to stop you, you're going to have to roll the dice to see if you succeed or not.

What dice do you roll? Look at the Template sheet. Look at all the skills listed there, underneath things like "DEX" or "KNOW". Maybe you want to shoot the bad guy in the face with your blaster. Look over the skills... Blaster seems to fit, eh? All right, so now you know what skill you are using.

Okay, now look at the "DEX" rating above Blaster. It says something like "3D" right? That's how many dice you roll (the "D" means "dice"). So you roll 3 dice and total them up.

What happens now? Well, the bad guy is rolling dice, too! He won't just sit there and let you get away with it! So he says what he's trying to do, picks a skill, and figures out how many dice to roll. Then he rolls them, and totals them up. Let's say he wants to get out of your way. Hmm... sounds like a Dodge to me! Look up, at DEX rating, and that's how many dice he rolls.

Compare the two rolls together; whoever gets the higher result wins! If you got a higher result, you shot him in the face; if he got a higher result, he dodges out of the way of your blast!

Things are more complex than that... but that's Star Wars d6 at its most basic.

Now, that still leaves your character pretty well undefined. Remember that you have 7 points to spend? Each "point" translates into 1D. You can add these points to any of your skills, but with the simple rule that you can only add up to 2 at the most to one, single skill. So you could add 1D to Blaster, or 2D, but not 3D.

Now while you're playing, add these points ("dice") as you need them. If you want a guy who can fight (who doesn't?) add those points into Blaster and Dodge. You'll soon see that you need them. But if you want to talk the bad guy out of fighting, use Con, and put those points into Con so that you can succeed!

Once you've put all those 7 points into your skills, your character is complete.
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do next

This is pretty well the first thing that you need to come up with. Once you pick your template, think about what your guy wants. Destroy the Empire? Get rich? Become famous? Live a simple life out in the country? Whatever you want, it's cool.

Once everyone has come up with what they want, try to work everything together. So you want to destroy the Empire? Cool. I want to get rich, so how about our characters met each other planning a raid on an Imperial bank! Sweet, let's do it.

All right. Now it's the GM's job to make things interesting. Ocean's Eleven would have been a boring movie if they just walked in a robbed the joint. What you need is adversity. The GM provides that. Whatever you want, he's going to make it hard to get. (Not so hard that you can't, but just hard enough so that you have to do a lot of cool things before you can get it.)

So what's the first step? Well, what would those guys who are robbing a bank in a movie do? They'd case out the joint. Sweet. So you go to case the bank, and the GM has some Stormtroopers who might see you, or might not. And things just keep rolling like that, on and on.

Whenever you finally get what you want, either retire the character and make a new guy, or just give him something else that he wants.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a post somewhere on here for an online game using AIM or one of the other instant messengers. AIM has dice rolling scripts you have to enter to roll your own dice. It might give you the feel for playing the game if you see if you can join something like that.

HERE's one for playing using ScreenMonkey, you don't have to download anything to play on it, and it has maps to help you visualize what's going on, and it has dice rolling scripts too. Just contact the guy that posted the offer to join the game.

Hope this was on topic and informative. Very Happy
Yank
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might start using mini's to help when i play with my friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: