The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate Force Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternate Force Rules Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Alternate Force Rules Reply with quote

Awhile ago I developed some alternate Force rules that I thought fit the 'feel' of Star Wars better than the tried and true Control-Sense-Alter rules. I've run a campaign that used them, and the response was positive.
I was hoping others could look what I have over and let me know what they think.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ealderson/alt-force_mech.pdf

Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! For some reason, your file reads as file type .html instead of .pdf. I downloaded it as an HTML file and changed what it opens with in its properties. I can read it now, but you may want to fix it if you can for others.

Wow, you went into a lot of detail there. I like the concept of the Peace rule, but being comfortable with WEG's original setup, I have to say that this adds another roll to a system that is supposed to be quick and fast paced. Maybe Peace could be used like taking aim or something similar, where you get either a bonus to the die roll, or as you have it, lowering the difficulty.

I like the idea behind the whole thing, and if it works for you and your group, stick with it. I myself may borrow a couple of concepts, like the Peace option I mentioned above, for my own games.

Thanks for sharing this with us! And welcome to the Pit!
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well, to be honest, I don’t know what to do about the file type problem. I haven’t had that problem when I tried the link. I’m sure if I had the ‘133t skilz’ I’d be able to figure something out, but there it is I suppose. Razz

Anyway.

I’m glad you liked the concept. I was actually trying to streamline the system with my mechanics. When you look at something like Jedi Mind Trick in the standard system, you’re rolling three pools. When you look at my system you’re never going to roll more than two pools, and most of the time just one. It’s not like a Jedi wants to use the Peace roll all the time, considering a serious failure increases the difficulty. I was trying to speed up Force usage with the combined Force roll, and an occasional Peace roll as well as give a sense of scale. That was the idea at least.

I’ve gotten the most positive feedback on the ‘Peace’ rule. It seems people respond to that modeling of the Jedi’s ‘strength’. I’m not sure the ‘Wrath’ mechanics are quite as apt, but as I said, they have played out well enough, and I’ve had PC’s with both mechanics, and nobody was unhappy.

If you incorporate the ‘Peace’ option, please let me know how it goes for you! I’d love to hear how it plays out for you.

Thank you for your response, and I’m pleased to make my way to the pit! I’ve been visiting off and on for years, so I’m glad I can contribute something. Very Happy
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading through this. Not a bad alternate Force system! I've seen some cobbled together systems before, and this one at least looks like it's been well thought-out.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this is a great system, and I think it would work great, but as the saying goes, 'Can't teach an old dog new tricks'. Streamlining is good, I've no problem with trying to lessen dice rolls, but again, I'm just used to the old ways.

The Wrath mechanics are good too. I especially like the Waste portion of the system as there really isn't something like it in WEG's rules other than receiving a DSP for your bad actions. It makes more sense and follows the chantings of Yoda, "Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."

I may be incorporating that as well.
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jedi Skyler. Smile I tried to make it easy, intelligible, and comprehensive.

I understand what you mean Jamfke. I'm just the sort who never met a rule I didn't want to tweak. Razz That is part of the reason why I love D6 oh so much, it's inimitably customizable.

You wouldn't believe the grin I had on my face when I saw Palaptine go all prune-faced. 'Ooo, somebody just dropped something like 20 wrath points!' Considering these rules were more or less finalized a year or two before RotS came out I felt all sorts of psychic. Razz

Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the same way when, over a decade ago, I was playing SW D6 pretty regularly, and I came up with my own E-wing concept about a year before they ever hit the books. Once I first read about them, my jaw dropped...
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to solicit more feedback on my system. Playing with Force mechanics seems to be popular, so I’m thinking there have got to be more opinions out there. Wink
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well researched and conceived. I do like the Waste concept.
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, dude, I dig it!

I would totally make up a character with a loved one, or develop that kind of relationship through play, fully expecting the GM to try and off that loved one. Yeah, sweet.

Is there a way for Jedi to use Wrath points? That would be pretty sweet too. A nice temptation for goind to the Dark Side. (I may have missed that part when I was reading.)
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pel. So often we see the Sith disfigured, I thought there should be a mechanic for it. It turned out to be a good way from keeping the Dark Side from getting obscenely powerful. Ep III was just vindication for me. Wink

I'm glad you like it Cool. The relationship rule came about in response to the council's rule. As that tends to be an unpopular aspect of the Jedi Order I thought it might be an unpopular rule, but I'm glad you mentioned it. I think it adds a good bit of tension, and I don't think the Jedi would enforce it for no reason.

In my mind a light side Force user ‘calling on the Dark Side’ (bottom of page 4) is in effect using Wrath points. Obviously the mechanics are different (calling on the Dark Side is more powerful), but I’ve liked the idea of the Dark Side enticing the virtuous.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So often we see the Sith disfigured, I thought there should be a mechanic for it.

It has been explained in a number of the novels that it was simply the dark side corrupting the flesh that couldn't contain all that dark energy. However, I did kinda like the way Palpatine was transfigured in a single incident. I do want to point out, though, that it was through a very long action (flinging Force Lightning for what, a full thirty seconds at least?) Channeling THAT much dark side energy would certainly have some kind of physical consequence, I would think. But as you notice, the times Count Dooku used Force Lightning, he suffered no such consequence. It HAD to be from an apocalyptic-type event.

Of course, that could also simply have been George thumbing his nose at the authors' community, saying, "No, it's MY world, and it's gonna happen THIS way!"

The world may never know.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, another interpretation of that event, and one that I believe is sustained by WOTC, is that Palpatine was that disfigured all along, but he used the Force to conceal it from others. He used the lightning event as a good moment to drop the act and use his disfigurement as further proof of the Jedi's betrayal.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read any of the WotC books, so I'd never heard that one before. Kinda makes sense, as it's obviously possible.

But I personally have a hard time believing that Palpatine was putting forth the level of power required to hide that kind of disfigurement while at the same time keeping himself fully hidden from the Jedi. Sure, the effects of his doings were detected, and a general "there is a disturbance in the Force" kinda thing was happening, but for Mace Windu or Yoda to be completely unable to detect the Sith Lord running rampant in their midst seems a bit out there to me, if he were indeed keeping that kind of illusion up.

But it's an interesting theory, at least. I'd need to know a bit more about the actual workings of the dark side in order to form a more educated opinion on how likely that scenario would be.
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the channeling of too much dark energy causing the corruption is what I was going for. I’m not aware, does anything in WEG lit stat out the progression of disfigurement?

Something aside, I mentioned in the write up that the Sith have arts to channel their waste (the most sacred of their arts...), while I didn’t put it on the pdf above, I do have a Dark Side ability for my system written out… somewhere on one of my hard drives… that spells it all out. In my mind Palps had a bit of waste already but channeled it into a ‘vessel’. When he went crazy on Windu for ~30 seconds he overwhelmed the vessel’s ability and Palps got it all at once, kinda Dorian Gray like.

Perhaps Dooku used a vessel too, but on the other hand, he was always in control (you know, except the part where he lost his hands … amongst other things). I think he just didn’t use that much dark energy to boost his power. Also, he’d have a really high control from being an experienced Jedi Master, so he’d have to use a lot of Wrath to cause him to Waste.

Also, we see Vader from the beginning of his career, not nearly so controlled and after going a little nuts on some hapless pawns he’s already picking up the eyes; what I’d term as a point of waste.

I agree that Palps actively using a Force Projection to hide his disfigurement seems kinda crazy. Palps is obviously powerful because he can fool the High Council of the Jedi, but if the council is that oblivious then we’re measuring against a much smaller standard than believed. I don’t buy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: