The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dim other's senses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dim other's senses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Dim other's senses Reply with quote

Hmmm,

I've tried the usual suspects, but I can't find complete stats for Dim other's senses, can anybody help me out? I found out it was in the Tales of the Jedi sourcebook, but my traffic-o-meter for this month has gone beyond red. They charge me a cent/MB now. Sad

>-q=p---
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dim Other's Senses
Sense Difficulty: Easy. Modified by proximity
Alter Difficulty: Target's Control or Perception roll. The attribute and skills are reduced as long as the power is kept up
Effect: This power greatly reduces the Perception of the target character. If successful, reduce the character's Perception and all Perception skills, depending upon the result:

Alter > Control or
Perception Roll By Reduce Perception
0 - 5 -1 pips
6 - 10 -2 pips
11-15 -1D
16 - 20 -2D
21+ -3D

The Power may be used on more than one target at a time, with an increase of +3 to the sense difficulty for each additional target; the target with the highest control or Perception rolls for the entire group.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the nuimber of Dark jedi i have seen ilsted with this power in various modules, i have actually rarely seen it used...... strange that.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kinda strange. People just don't think of it. It's in at least a couple of the books, but it's always associated with a dark side usage, which might be the biggest reason you don't see it used too often. People don't wanna risk the DSP.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off: Thanks darthomer09!!! Very Happy

Quote:
but it's always associated with a dark side usage

I was looking for the power because it was a prerequisite for a power a player wanted to learn, but I was wondering if it was the power the Emperor used to avoid being detected by the Jedi.

I also made a C,S,A-power called Cloak Perception that I found to fit the niche of the power used by the Jedi to enter the Arena on Geonosis or whenever you see a Jedi with his hood up. Razz

This still seems to be different though. (Cloak Perception uses the same modifiers as Affect Mind, which is its prerequisite and makes the user fade into the crowd or seem unimportant. The difference is, that the power automatically works on whoever might be able to spot the user of the power.)

>-q=p---
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a dark side power which dim other force skill exist. Because other jedi masters seem to not detect the force power of Palpatine and in a novel (I don't remember the title) a dark master is able to do it : apprentice must activate a light saber by telekinesis (no external activator). One of them always fail because the dark master dim his capability of using the Force.
Of course implementing this kind of power can unbalance the game...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:
I wonder if a dark side power which dim other force skill exist. Because other jedi masters seem to not detect the force power of Palpatine and in a novel (I don't remember the title) a dark master is able to do it

Well, Yoda did say that the dark side was very hard to detect.

In the Thrawn Trilogy, Joruus C'baoth uses this power on Luke. He has Luke running around like he had a wet blanket thrown over him; he was constantly fatigued and couldn't place why.

Phalanks Balas wrote:
: apprentice must activate a light saber by telekinesis (no external activator). One of them always fail because the dark master dim his capability of using the Force.

I don't remember which book this was, but I seem to remember something about a Hethrir (was it "Children of the Jedi?" Or perhaps "The New Rebellion?") who was training Force-users... part of their testing was whether or not they could use telekinesis to activate a lightsaber on which the switch was completely internal; the student had to make a connection in the circuit purely through Force use. If they couldn't do it, they couldn't have a lightsaber, period. I believe the one Hethrir was not allowing to do this was his own son, although it's been so long since I read that book that I don't remember all the particulars.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal star was the novel.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, Dim Other's Senses is probably one of the most useful Dark Side powers out there. If successful, one can slip by completely undetected. Of course droids and cameras can still see you, but those Sith have that cool machine-scrambling power whose name escapes me.

As far as Palpy / Sidious goes, a nice power like Hide Force Potential or a limited version of the Force Cloak would make a nice counter-balance to the Jedi sensing the presence of a Sith Lord across the table from them. One could even argue that Dim Other's Senses could be adapted in that fashion and then kept up.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Now that you mention it, Dim Other's Senses is probably one of the most useful Dark Side powers out there. If successful, one can slip by completely undetected. Of course droids and cameras can still see you, but those Sith have that cool machine-scrambling power whose name escapes me.

As far as Palpy / Sidious goes, a nice power like Hide Force Potential or a limited version of the Force Cloak would make a nice counter-balance to the Jedi sensing the presence of a Sith Lord across the table from them. One could even argue that Dim Other's Senses could be adapted in that fashion and then kept up.

Now here is a question.. Would someoen being affected by DIm others senses KNOW they were being beguiled??
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as I understand it.

The only way I'd think it was possible (although HIGHLY unlikely) would be if said Jedi were well-versed in studies concerning this technique, was briefed on ALL the side-effects, and perhaps had even had this done to them so they knew what it felt like.

Even then, from all I understand about it, this power's effect kinda resembles the effects of being really tired; the more tired you are, the less you care. The less gumption you can muster, and the less likely you are to DESIRE to try.

If you can overcome all that, then more power to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: