The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Melee Combat/Parry....same?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Melee Combat/Parry....same? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to consider about the Melee Combat and Melee Parry skills, is that characters who don't specialize in something (like a vibroknife or electrostaff), become proficient in all weapons. That's a single skill the covers everything: staff, sword, chain-whip, broken bottle, power lance, warhammer, pointy stick, and so on. Normal people simply don't learn everything all at once, so splitting the "all weapons" combat skill into 2 skills makes some sense: if you want to know how to fight with everything, you have to pay twice as many character points as you do for other skills.

Both skills - Melee Combat and Melee Parry can be specialized by a single type of weapon being used. (See: Second Edition Revised & Expanded, page 39-40) If a character is learning to fight with just one type of weapon they can specialize in both skills, reducing the cost for each one by half (well, slightly more than half, since fractions round up). Which is more or less the same as learning just 1 skill for a single weapon.

As for why they split Brawling and Brawling Parry, I'm at a loss. I'm inclined to agree that in unarmed combat, superior strength gives an edge to attacking, and superior dexterity gives an edge to defending. Ultimately, though, that's just an opinion. And it doesn't account for why a character has to pay double for unarmed combat.
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe another way to deal with the Melee / Melee Parry dilemma would be to allow those who specialize in a specific weapon (by means of at least somewhat formal training at some point in their past) can use that skill as both attack and parry - but they don't get the 1/2 cost advance bonus, maybe you could even charge them the double Advanced skill cost if it will work for both...

And IMO Brawling / Brawling Parry probably should be kept separate. This is where I have more training so my idea is biased by my experiences - you've seen it too, boxers don't even really learn to Parry but Wing Chun Kung Fu or the like are incredible at Parry - it depends on the type of brawling you do. I guess the specialization idea of this works well too, specialize in Martial Arts and use it for both but at the cost of an Advanced skill. If you don't learn a specific brawling style through training then you got the trial and error of the 2 separate skills.

Someone mentioned a 'close combat dodge' earlier, and while I like the idea, I think Brawling Parry envolves a lot of dodging and redirecting already and that I properly trained (and properly penalized with additional difficulty) empty handed person can get inside and block an attack of someone with a melee weapon - not easy but do-able. But then again if someone just want to jump out of the way of every punch and vibrosword swipe then maybe that new skill is a good diversification of Dodge....
Raiz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the community finds the parry meaningless as a seperate skill. In my local gaming zone none supported the old idea of seperate parry skills so here comes our house rule.

- There are no such skills as melee parry or brawling parry.
- Brawling skill has a "block" specialization.
- Melee skill has a "parry" specialization.

So if you want your characters to ve better at defense rather to offense you specialize in that style just like you specialize with kicks or punches in the brawling skill.

And for those ideas that the seperate skills are there in terms of game balance, to give players more places to spend their character points my point remains still.

There are already LOTS of skills in SWd6. Try not to focus to the combative parts, this is a roleplaying game. My character has about 30 different skills and only 4 of them are personal combative skills.

and do not forget the lightsabre. It is harder to use comparing to any other known weapon. It has a very special and long training and even lightsabre does NOT have seperate attacking and blocking skills.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find it meaningless... I actually like the seperate skills, though i do feel both brawl and melee parry could be combined into one close in combat parry skill..
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group combined melee and brawling with their respective parry skills years ago with great success. We also use dodge to get of the way of anything we don't want to parry. That's worked well as it keeps everything simple and free-flowing.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of specialization there is one slight mistake in your post. While it is true that you can spcialize your Melee Combat skill to a weapon, say knife, according to the rules you can only specialize your Melee Parry skill to defend *against* a certain weapon. So if you specialized it to work against vibro-blades, you would still have to use the base value when defending against vibro-axes. However, it wouldnt make a differens if you were wielding a club, a knife or length of chain.

This specialization rule in my opinion makes absolutely totally no sense at all, but may be important from a game-balance point of view.
Raiz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there are no parry or block skills in our mod, we use them as specializations for brawling and melee. Therefore everyone can specialize his attack over certain weapons like the old rules. In addition if they want to be defensive they can specialize at parrying or blocking. Therefore you can either boost your offensive or defensive side with only 1 skill. Simpler and more effective. If yu do not specialize you can both make attacks and defend with the same skill.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
In terms of specialization there is one slight mistake in your post. While it is true that you can spcialize your Melee Combat skill to a weapon, say knife, according to the rules you can only specialize your Melee Parry skill to defend *against* a certain weapon.

That's from the Second Edition (unrevised) rules - "The Blue Book" with Vader's helmet on the cover. On page 18 in that book, it reads:

Quote:
Melee Parry - Specializations: Versus lightsabers, knives, clubs, etc."

The rules for specializing in Melee Parry were changed for the Second Edition Revised and Expanded rules - the book with the Mellennium Falcon being chased by TIE fighters on the cover. On pages 39-40 of that book, it reads:

Quote:
Melee Parry
Time Taken: One round.
Specializations: Type of melee weapon used - lightsabers, knives, clubs, axes, vibroblades.

I'll admit, "type of melee weapon used" isn't a very specific way of wording it- for all we know, they may have intended it to mean "type of melee weapon used against the character attempting to parry," but the most plausible interpretation I see is "type of melee weapon used in the parry attempt."

Does anyone know of another reference to Melee Parry specializations? Maybe in the later sets of character stats? It would have to be something written after the revised and expanded rules, which doesn't leave a lot to go on, but might be out there somewhere...

*wanders off to look up obscure things in books*
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it would make sense for it to be the type of weapon USED by the defender...
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unaware of any further expansion on parrying specializations in later editions or supplements.

I'm quite certain that parrying specialization was intended for use by the defending player. That's how I've always read it.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I'm unaware of any further expansion on parrying specializations in later editions or supplements.

I was just thinking that something from NPC stats might have given some insight. Haven't been able to find anything in my collection, though.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I can see why they are seperated is to keep the game balance. If all a person had to raise was brawling such in the example it wouldn't take too long in character point to only raise that skill. I've played with characters in all the years I've played who have power gamed this way. Yes for a video game it could be considered a great attribute, but in gaming for tabletop it is a horrible one. No if a character has to split his character point in two areas 5D for Brawling and 5D brawling parry then his is not as powerful and is more functional in a game. Granted, the lightsaber skill is the exception to this rule, and that is something that would need to be discussed in the house rules part of the form.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which makes me wonder why there was not a lightsaber attack/defense skill split..
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely due to jedi having three extra skills they have to raise that no-one else does... And if they misbehave dark points are given aplenty!! Twisted Evil
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the parries as seperate skills. It lets you distinguish between offensive or defensive fighting styles. And it's a good way to keep the combat monsters in check.

I think a Lightsaber Parry is a great idea.

EDIT: The new D6 Space has brawling under Agility. And no parries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: