The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wookiee Claws / Berserker Rage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Wookiee Claws / Berserker Rage Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Wookiee Claws / Berserker Rage Reply with quote

Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook, Special Edition, page 11 wrote:
Climbing Claws: Wookiees have retractable climbing claws which are used for climbing only. They add +2D to their climbing skill while using the claws. Any Wookiee who uses claws in hand-to-hand combat is automatically considered dishonorable by other members of his species, possibly to be hunted down -- regardless of the circumstances.

Ok... so I've got some questions here. First, what about non-combat, non-climbing use, like prying things apart? Would that be allowed? Second, if a Wookiee did use his claws in combat, what kind of damage would they do? Just curious.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine the'd at least be STR, maybe STR+2D since that's the bonus for climbing.

Wanted Poster
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but STR+2D seems like an awful lot of damage for claws. I figured STR+2 (pips) would suffice.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with the +2 as well, not 2D. STR+1D is the damage for a knife. The 2D bonus for climbing is a serious aid to dexterity when ascending tree trunks. In combat it's simply tearing damage, and I can't see it as any better than a knife, which has a much bigger cutting/piercing surface. Wookiee strength makes it bad enough.

I would, however, give serious social consequences to a Wookiee character who uses them in combat, the cultural taboo against that use being so strong.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd go with the +2 pips myself...any reason why you'd be curious about this by the way???

Twisted Evil
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defel get +2D for their claws in combat. I dont see why a Wookiee would get much less. Most entries I seen on climbing claws get the same bonus damage from them as they give climbing bonus. Besides, a raging Wookiee with max strength, if he's gonna do 8D or 10D, the target is dead one way or another... Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. And how would that cultural problem come into being, unless a fellow wookie saw it happen?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. And how would that cultural problem come into being, unless a fellow wookie saw it happen?

I wouldn't slap them with a penalty right away, and I might even let it slide as long as 1.) it's under DIRE circumstances, and 2.) it happens very, very rarely. If however, the character makes a habit of doing it, I would slowly let stories of a "Wookiee with no honor" make their way around the galaxy, and eventually they'd run into some serious trouble with major consequences. I can even see something like that making a great subplot in a campaign, but eventually the player would regret it.

Put simply, it's munchkin behavior, and deserves to be punished.

As for the Defel, I don't know too much about them other than their appearance (wolfmen, IIRC), but I seem to recall them having rather large claws that look very predator like. They definitely look like they're designed for killing.

I would imagine wookiee claws are probably not as useful in combat, being that they evolved for climbing. That has various consequences on hand shape, claw size, dexterity of appendages and what not.[/i]
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the claws could be used to pry things open or other practical use without dishonoring the wookiee. And as for the consequence of him using it for combat, it's not only if another wookiee saw him do it. Even if no-one knew about it, it would still consume him inside. Unless this wookiee is a total scumbag, who already has no honor to speak of, commiting such an act would gnaw at his conscience. I think it could be a nice thing to be properly roleplayed, and at the GM dicretion, a slight penalty for some social skills could be applied, due to the wookiee ever-present inner shame.

And I'd go with STR+1D damage.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Personally, I'd go with the +2 pips myself...any reason why you'd be curious about this by the way???

Twisted Evil

Wink In the case of my Wookiee, Lewshak, in the Rebel Uprisings story... I'm definitely only interested in the non-combat use of the claws ("prying"). Luey would never use them in combat. But since I was looking for interpretations of the special ability text, I figured I might as well get all the ambiguities laid out.

I couldn't figure out what was being implied when the text said the claws "are used for climbing only."

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there'd be a problem with giving the bonus for prying things apart with them. It would be the same as trying to hang on to a tree.
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless of course you are prying apart a stormtrooper Twisted Evil
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could always claim you're using the claws for climbing the ranks in the Most Wanted list. Climbing is ok, isn't it?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no problem with prying things open. My main thing is no combat use.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i'm not taking it wrong, the Pc game KOTOR clearly said that using claws in combat was a sort of taboo for wookies. Those who usd them out of rage were expelled from the community. Now, i know that LucasArts games aren't strictly WEG related or compliant, but they still tend to be inside the "canon SW", imho. Besides, Wookies pack quite enough strength to ripe apart stormtroopers even without the help of "cutting tools"... Smile
Anyway, i think that a rule for claws should be used for wookies, since they can always go mad and use them, but a sever restrictive rule should be applied too: whenever a "claw-attack" is brought forward in front of a fellow wookie, the "mad" wookie should suffer some form of social detriment, imho...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: