The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attonement from DSPs..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Attonement from DSPs.. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Attonement from DSPs.. Reply with quote

In the 2nd edition D6 system, they actually provided rules for someone to attone for a DSP gained, by spending 3 'sessions' absolving them selves from doing wrong...

But would it get harder for someone to attone, from something they did a previous time??

Eg john jedi, used force lightning, at a time of great peril. He spent the next 3 sessions attoning for that DSP earned. Later on, he uses force lightning again... would that make it harder to attone or easier??
Wht if he used force lightning a third or fourth time??
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would make it harder to attone. Or even not possible at all. A true lightside Jedi would never even learn a power like that, no matter what. The ends do not justify the means!

At least in my own little personal view of the Star Wars Jedi philosophy...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harder, hardest, impossible.

The more you call upon the Dark Side, the more it takes control of you.

Even using it once can cause it to forever dominate you!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to throw a hydrospanner in there or anything...

... but even though I haven't actually finished reading all the New Jedi Order books yet, I've seen some synopses that, if I remember correctly, show Jacen Solo and (I think) even Luke Skywalker using a form of Force Lightning, but it was greenish, rather than black, and I don't believe that it drew from the dark side of the Force. IIRC, it was due to Jacen's having learned new methods of using the Force. So while it's not really a common technique (at least in traditional Jedi circles), it is a possibility, especially for NJO era campaigns.

Just something to chew on... Wink

Now, I'd love to hear from someone who's read them all and can expound a little on this for me.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue, but Lightning itself is a natural thing. Even beneficial for some Forests!

It's as much a part of the Living Force as anything else. But it can most commonly be used to attack, it doesn't really have that many passive uses.

Boosting your Speeder's battery after a cold Hoth night is about the only one I can think of.

"All nights on Hoth are cold." "Some are colder than others."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!!

But regarding the way Jacen used it, I think I found reference to that on a site that gives breakdowns of all the NJO books. I'll have to go back and look it over again. But if anyone's read it and knows what I'm talking about, please, elaborate!

(Plus that way everyone will know I'm not crazy. Well, delusional, anyway... Wink )
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Force Lightning: It is all about how you use the force. The force is used for knowledge, and defense, never for attack. If you can learn something or you need to defend something, than do what you need to do.

On the subject of DSP: It should get harder the more you gain them, especially for doing the same thing.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
LOL!!!

But regarding the way Jacen used it, I think I found reference to that on a site that gives breakdowns of all the NJO books. I'll have to go back and look it over again. But if anyone's read it and knows what I'm talking about, please, elaborate!

(Plus that way everyone will know I'm not crazy. Well, delusional, anyway... Wink )

To side track, with the force lightning question., I am one of those few who don't feel Jacen's new way is right. Who is to say Vergre was totally wrong when she taught Jacen it. And now Jacen has slipped into the dark path..

As to the DSPs... seems like all are in agreement..

So what would make a great penalty?
Longer to attone?
Gain more DSP for doing same action as in the past?
Gain THAT DSP back, since you have shown you never really attoned??
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would certainly watch the player. Don't let him tell you "I go into meditation and attone for a week or two". Ask him how he wants to attone for attacking with the force. If he has an NPC Jedi with him the two should talk about it.

Maybe even give him something like a test of character... A situation (like a dream) where he thinks, his friends are in great peril and he could save them easily if he resorts to the dark side. But it must seem 100% real to him. Perhaps get the cooperation of the other players...

There has to be another solution, but its more difficult, and quite possibly not obvious at all, and there is the risk he might fail... You could even talk to him... tell him in your most convincing voice how easy it would be if he just acted on his emotions, only this one single time... what horrible fate would overcome his friends if he didn't, and that it would really only hit the bad guys... The dark side of the force is seductive after all.

If he goes the easy way, he'll likely never get rid of the darkside point (without outside influence) and might even gain another. You could also show him later that the one he killed/maimed/whatevered with his action was himself, like Luke in the cave on Dagobah.

If he is undecided or falters, he would not get rid of his darkside point for a long time. Tell him he is not ready yet and if he really wants to purge it he should not hesitate on his decision. The path of the Jedi takes a lot of determination.

If he doesn't even think about using the darkside and imediately begins searching for an alternative solution and working on it, he might cleanse himself from the influence and work it off, no matter if he suceeds with it or not.

This should be very difficult and can be like a turning point in the story from which on the player would think at least twice ever risking a darksidepoint again.
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
LOL!!!

I haven't read the books but I do remember reading about Luke's lightning technique on Wikipedia. It's called (by fans) Emerald Lightning and it is supposed to be FAR more destructive than regular force lightning.

Now exactly how Luke was able to unleash such a destructive force apart from the Dark Side...I don't know. All I know is that in game terms, the damage would need to be quite a bit higher than the dark side's lightning.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be able to reliably use force lightning you should have force skills above 10d. Since it does Control in damage (as far as I remember) there isn't really too much that can take one. Even a souped up E-Web can only do 9d+2...

And on the occasion of Luke or Jacen or whoever using Force Lightning or a similar power: This IS a darkside power since it draws on negative emotions and is used to attack. Even if the power itself would (by some amazing game system flaw) NOT cost a darkside point to use, as soon as it damages anybody: Darkside point(s). No discussion. At least one, likely more.

Anyway, There are things in the EU I believe, love and use, and there are things that in my game worlds would simply never ever happen. This is one of them.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*On a Snowy Hoth Hillside, Next To A Busted T-16* Rotten piece of junk! *Opens Up Engine Cowling, Zaps With Force Lightning* UNLIMITED... POWER!!!
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
*On a Snowy Hoth Hillside, Next To A Busted T-16* Rotten piece of junk! *Opens Up Engine Cowling, Zaps With Force Lightning* UNLIMITED... POWER!!!

And if the Engine blows: DARKSIDE POINT!!! Muahahahaha! Wink
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
Ray wrote:

And if the Engine blows: DARKSIDE POINT!!! Muahahahaha! Wink

NOW you get the idea...

It occurred to me yesterday- before seeing any references to the Wikipedia mention of the Emerald Lightning- that perhaps this new version doesn't automatically earn the user a DSP because it only deals STUN damage, rather than KILLING damage. It's a possibility, at least. Kinda like a Force-Taser! Shocked
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always said there should be a Force Taser or Jedi Nerve Pinch or something...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: