The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

dodge and surprise...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> dodge and surprise...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: dodge and surprise... Reply with quote

Just got done doing some game talk with a former gamer (no longer plays, but he still likes to talk about it).

Ok, we know of an ambusher manages to stay hidden before he makes his attack, it is a 'surprise attack', and the defender gets no dodge. But what if they are already in combat??

EG.
Bad guys 1-5 are fighting the pcs, while bad guy 6 and 7 are still in 'sneak' mode moving behind them (they were not even seen before hand).
Round 1 goes as normal for pcs versus BG1-5. Round 2 the same. Perceptions to see BG6 & 7 still no joy.
Round 3, they are finally in position and launch their attack, STILL no joy from the pcs to detect.
Would their dodges they make to avoid the firing from BG1-5, count for BG6 and 7? OR cause it is a surprise attack, their dodges against BG1-5 do NOT count???
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ruling is that a dodge made in response to fire from BG1-5 would not count against BG6-7. However, a Full Dodge would.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would have to agree with Gry on this too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree as well. Regular reaction or penalized dodge, does not count against the surprise attackers behind.

Full dodge, just never mind any other action and leaping out of the way, surprise or not that is tough to hit.
to finance my 'vette!
bitrate
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something i was talking with a friend about, but haven't got the books in front of me to reference: how would this figure in with a jedi's danger sense?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define?
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Jedi Has Danger Sense up, the sneak attack people would have to declare any attacks against the Jedi, so he could react , the other players could not.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:
If a Jedi Has Danger Sense up, the sneak attack people would have to declare any attacks against the Jedi, so he could react , the other players could not.

Could the Jedi say something to the other characters allowing them a chance to dodge as well, probably at a penalty but it's still a chance, better than getting killed Smile
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMortis wrote:
Delkarnu wrote:

Could the Jedi say something to the other characters allowing them a chance to dodge as well, probably at a penalty but it's still a chance, better than getting killed Smile

Hard to say, danger sense only warns the jedi of attacks against himself, not his whole party, so he wouldn't necessarily know that others would be attacked as well. It also isn't clear if danger sense tells the jedi, "the one next to you is going to swing his vibrodagger, another is going to shoot, and a third is about to surprise you from behind" or just "two are shooting at you, and one is attacking with a vibrodagger"

If not in combat, I'd say that danger sense would give you a chance to warn others
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:
DarthMortis wrote:
Delkarnu wrote:

Hard to say, danger sense only warns the jedi of attacks against himself, not his whole party, so he wouldn't necessarily know that others would be attacked as well. It also isn't clear if danger sense tells the jedi, "the one next to you is going to swing his vibrodagger, another is going to shoot, and a third is about to surprise you from behind" or just "two are shooting at you, and one is attacking with a vibrodagger"

If not in combat, I'd say that danger sense would give you a chance to warn others

Well, you could say that you're about to get attacked to everyone else which could alert that that there are threats that they can't see
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which at most might allow another perception check to them.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger Sense only warns the Jedi of an impending attack on them, doesn't affect the order of attack. If the Jedi has a danger sense warning of a surprise, I'd give them a perception roll for initiative. If they act first, they can call out a warning (no more than a "get down" or so) and people could dive for cover. If the attackers win the initiative, they would be able to act before the Jedi could give a warning and only the Jedi could dodge.

In the already in combat example, I wouldn't tell the Jedi it was a surprise attack, only what type of attack and direction. In a hallway, an attack from behind should tell them its a surprise, but in the open, if they are fighting enemies from multiple directions, they may not figure out it is new enemies.

Danger Sense AND Combat Sense, the Jedi could act first, attacking the new threat, and the others could get a perception check to see if they realize a new enemy has arrived and get to react based on that check.

I think this is one where no 'rule' can cover the result, its all based on the specific situation and how the GM at the time wants to handle the situation
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think this is one where no 'rule' can cover the result, its all based on the specific situation and how the GM at the time wants to handle the situation

Well said. It depends on the situation. If the characters are out in the open, I would probably allow dodges. If they are behind cover and the enemy is flanking them, then only full dodge.

Something like this has to be case by case, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: