The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Another DSP thought...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Another DSP thought... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boldulyses
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can try to grab it from my GM; it isn't my own idea. I can tell you what has happened to us thus far, but I apologize that it's D20-bent. I bet one of you intrepid D6ers could easily manipulate it to D6 without much issue.

I don't know how DSPs are handed out, but certain skills in D20 earns you a DSP. For example, the ever popular Force Grip grants you a DSP for using it. Well, we got a little Grip happy and at the 3rd straight usage of the skill, and 3 DSPs, we made a Will save to resist the Dark Side. If we made it, we were okay. If we failed it, we would go into a sort of killing rage where we needed to kill something else, even if it was our party members. Mind you, we're in an evil campaign.

Now, for those in the group who know about the D20 system, when you acheive enough DSPs and become "dark", every character level you attain from that point forward requires a check. If you fail this roll, you are supposed to lose a point from your physical attributes. He doesn't like this because it's another reason NOT to play a Dark Side character. So, his whole concept is that if we're going to play the Dark Side, the consequences of such should be different than what we expect.

So, with my appearance having changed to a nicer form of Palpatine in EPIII, it's more difficult for me to be a diplomatic telepath, which is what I presently am. My brother is playing a character that is delving into Sith Sorcery and it is changing his body. Well, he's UGLIER than Palpatine. So much so he has to wear a mask to keep people from running from him in fear. Makes it hard to fly under the radar when your Anzat Dark Sider is sporting a Vader-style face without the body armor to back it up... Creepy.

In response to this, as I'm not into wearing masks as a character, I'm going to retire my character to a small planet that is lacking in technology and will turn them to the Dark Side. I'll avoid the specifics for now, but that's just an example of how things are going.

I'll try to get you a list if he'll part with it and post it. Again, it'll be D20 and I apologize up front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again. to tell my point of view, D20 isnīt evil, and you donīt have to apologize for playing or telling about it. I read their books for myself and find some things interesting, others not. I appreciate your interest in D6 and hope our cooperation will be fruitful. Your expertise in D20 and ours in D6 will hopefully benefit our both gaming sessions. As expertise in various systems often does. With other words:

D6 is the center, not the limit.
boldulyses
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that... D6 is the center...

Well, let me offer this up...

If WEG is the center of the universe, than WotC is the planet that it's farthest from...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again. to tell my point of view, D20 isnīt evil, and you donīt have to apologize for playing or telling about it. I read their books for myself and find some things interesting, others not. I appreciate your interest in D6 and hope our cooperation will be fruitful. Your expertise in D20 and ours in D6 will hopefully benefit our both gaming sessions. As expertise in various systems often does. With other words and as far as you ask me:

D6 is the center, not the limit.

Back to topic: I would appreciate this table, if it is possible to lay your hands on, post it. In the moment i am reading the D20 Dark Side Rules and find one point very interesting. They differ Major, Common and Minor Transgressions. Major definitly, common probably and minor probably not deserve a DSP. Their list reads as followed:

Major:
Calling upon the Dark Side
Performing a blatantly evil act
Using the Force in anger
Common:
Using the Force to cause harm
Performing a questionable evil act
Acting while experiencing a negative emotion
Minor:
Performing a dubiously evil act
Using the Force to cause inconvenience

Whether or not a common or minor transgression deserves a DSP depends on the situation. Is the transgression e.g. senseless; cruel but not evil, prevents further evil; follows the will of the jedi council.
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If WEG is the center of the universe, than WotC is the planet that it's farthest from...

Yeah, but with those new navcomps and hyperdrives, even exotic places are only a stone throw away....
boldulyses
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote's because I think bad things about WotC :p

One of the things I REALLY like about D6 is that planet-hopping doesn't have to be such a big deal. The game I run is based in the Elrood Sector (I love The Planets Collection), and there's a chart on how long it takes to get places. Very simple. Very effective. So, if they're in a sector, it takes a set amount of hours over known hyperspace routes. If they want to leave said sector, than we default back to the D20 several-page chart on how to astrogate. Seems reasonable enough.
boldulyses
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification

I neglected a piece of information regarding the Dark Side's effect on my bro's character. The reason he's uglier than Palpatine is because he's a couple scars shy of being Darth Sionn from KOTOR2.
boldulyses
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GM has been gaming in so many different systems both tabletop and live-action that he sorta wings it... The whole email is below.

Official Response
Quote:
As far as the 'table' there is no table; there is only noonah.

These concepts will not transfer well with written words?. And very much require a certain amount of expertise or understanding to implement correctly.
Much of my Dming and plot staffing are to thank for this. It requires these things when you are dealing with non-concrete variables and trying to implement them in creative ways.

I have a scheme of 'rules' that require rolls at certain times under certain circumstances. And I know how to balance skills/stats versus conflict/resolution well enough to get the believability, playability (fun factor) and the story across.

For the most part I have split the Sith into Body or Mind for purposes of dark side checks. All Sith actually possess both, and most of the time dark side checks require both checks. (as you know)

The mind is usually, but not limited to: gaining insight on a particular subject or topic, simply keeping control not to kill your friends..., or keeping your sanity to not give in to delusional fabricated paranoia inspired illusions or the like, or sometimes it?s drastically the opposite. Sometimes, as a PC, you will need to fail a will save to make 'progress' towards sith-hood. (example: you are training in something like rage, or drain etc... and you must fail a will save to fully give in to the dark side long enough to perfect/connect with the dark side to learn or train some special or advanced skills... hehehe my personal favorite for twisting the rules (another thing I picked up from Cthulhu in how you get to add skill points but only if you fail thingy)

Body, or fortitude checks are usually for resisting physical changes due to increased dark side influence. This has many facets, much like the mind ones, and can be from visual, to internal, to the reversed as expressed above.

Each circumstance is completely unique in the actual Difficulty Check (DC), it's consequence, and potency. Those are determined by all or some of the following influences and/or noonah: the location's power regarding light/dark, the person's power regarding light/dark, the situation's power regarding light/dark, the actual save number versus the DC number, the difficulty of what's actually going on, the potency of the person who caused 'x', and will ultimately get adjusted for the sake of the Story.

Noonah = the amount of raw power you have in the cosmology to get things to happen by coercing your surroundings with your energy/power.

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boldulyses wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to hijack this thread again (I say again because it's not really on topic anymore) for a moment by saying that while I don't play D20 SW, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hate D20. In my opinion, every game system works well in some genre and not so well in others. I like D6 for Star Wars, but I like D20 for other games. I like the old Fading Suns system for that world, and I like Palladium system for Rifts. I think giving each setting its own mechanics gives it greater depth and makes it feel more unique. So, while I would never play a D20 Star Wars game, it's not because I hate D20. But there is another reason not to hate D20...

Back when WOTC first published D&D 3rd Edition, it was the best thing to happen to RPGs since the invention of RPGs. The OGL breathed new life into the fading RPG industry. Role playing had gone from being a "geekly activity" to gaining an unwarranted "insane and demonic" stigma, mostly due to the popular press coverage of a few hothead liberals in politics and a couple weirdoes doing crazy s*** that of course immediately made international headline news. The industry persevered, however new material was in general becoming weaker quality wise, and less frequent by the year. Then came the miracle of D&D 3rd Edition , or more accurately the miracle of WOTC, or more accurately still, the miracle of the Open Game License. Suddenly a dozen companies were publishing source material for D&D, and with that start they were positioned to work on other projects and new games. It really gave the whole industry a much needed boost, and the WOTC licensing practices led to much more main stream environs for RPGs and the people who played them. It's incredible how different the public looks on a kid carrying a DMG today as compared to back in 1981. The beneficial effects of this are felt everywhere in the industry today. But, it came with an unexpected side effect - people got bored with D20. While D20 does lend itself easily to lots of genre, it isn't necessarily the best system for those genre. So people gradually "fell out of love" with D20 as they became more like a true gamer. This new blood had a sort of "coming of age" in which they decided that D20 wasn't right for everything under the sun. Nowadays some gamers remember less than fondly the noble beginnings of D20 (and still others are too young to remember it at all) and those feelings have strengthened with time. So my message is basically this -

We shouldn't be too hasty to say we hate D20, lest we forget the good that has come of it, and is still yet to come. It's far from perfect, but it gets a lot of new blood into the world of Role Playing that we never would have had without a simple and easy to learn game mechanic that is spread across dozens of settings and is open to any company to publish new material for.

In those terms, D20 was revolutionary. It was the "great epiphany" of the RPG industry. But, that doesn't mean you have to be in love with it and use it in every setting. I love catsup too, just not on everything.
boldulyses
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Scott has a fabulous point. It was the D20 phenomenon that spurned a whole new generation of emotionally-challenged teens to grab a DMG and throw an Umberhulk/Ankheg in the face of all the parental tyranny in their lives. Ahh, that U/A sucked... Rope Trick rules!

I must further agree that a system, in many ways, can truly define not only the game played, but the feel of the game. For example, I've taken my dues with other game systems; I've played AD&D (Second Edition), Palladium w/ TMNT, D20 D&D and Star Wars, even a hint of D20 modern. To be honest, I actually miss AD&D 2nd Edition with the Skills and Powers. That was when I first started gaming, and I still have my high-level character. Well, that and I spent 8.5 hours creating my character sheet (from scratch in Pagemaker).

I also play Legend of the Five Rings roleplaying, which we call the Alderac system, is D10 only. They have a D20 version of the game, which is simpler thanks to the OGL, but the feel of the game is in the system that they first put out with it.

Look at Call of Cthulhu, for any of you Lovecraft fans. That whole system is based on skills and percentages, which is really what we're talking about no matter what dice you throw. It's a really simple system, takes about 10 minutes to make a character, 5 if you don't have to buy anything. There's a D20 version of that system which none of the CoC fans that I know are interested in. It just wouldn't feel the same.

Games are what you make it... [Shed a tear you Afterschool Special watchers; the violins have started]
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh.. one of my older DSP or not threads.
For all our new folk (shooting wamp rats and co), what are your thoughts for this situation?
Would someone (a hero) who knowingly and willfully sells plans for a disease/poison that is lethal/fatal to those who contract be worthy of a DSP?
Just one, or one each time they sold it on?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another DSP thought... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Would you assign him any DSPs for knowingly selling a killer virus?
Depends on whom he's selling to and whether he's Force sensitive or not. I might just have whole races trying to kill him...

What I would do is smack him on the back of the head because he has such a unique and effective weapon, and selling it is the best way to capitalize on it he's come up with. Rolling Eyes

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: