The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

CP and hull rolls...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> CP and hull rolls... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: CP and hull rolls... Reply with quote

One of the house rules i allow, that i cannot remember whom i got it from, is allowing anyone inside a ship to spend CP to increase the hull roll. Many times i have had people (grimace!!!) say that it is wrong to allow that. What say the rest of you...
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of Character Points are minor manifestations of the Force, so IMO it shouldn't produce an effect on something not alive Confused
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GM allowed Force Points to be "Burned" by the Captain for preventing a ship being blown up.

Didn't save the Far Orbit in the end, however. Crying or Very sad
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krapou wrote:
The use of Character Points are minor manifestations of the Force, so IMO it shouldn't produce an effect on something not alive Confused

While that is true, one can use the Force to dissipate the energy from a blaster bolt. Why then couldn't a CP or two be used to dissipate the energy of the turbolaser bolt hurtling toward the ship?

In this case I personally would allow it, especially if the captain/ship's owner were present and spending the CPs. I would attribute it to their intimate knowledge of the ship's systems, possibly pulling a few extra ergs from the shields to lessen the damage his ship takes.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CP and hull rolls... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the house rules i allow, that i cannot remember whom i got it from, is allowing anyone inside a ship to spend CP to increase the hull roll. Many times i have had people (grimace!!!) say that it is wrong to allow that. What say the rest of you...

I thought I had seen such a rule in the actual rulebook, but I could be wrong. I do allow such uses of CP, but only from the ships pilot, and I pass it off as angling the ship in such a way to present the minimal vital systems to the attacker (I always hated this "minor aspect of the force" stuff for CP...CP is experience and skill). It also goes that whatever works for PCs also works for NPCs, and so NPCs with CP can do the same, which is a built in balance.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would not allow this. The Force can affect the players, not their equipment. If they can affect their hull codes, then they can affect their blaster damage potential, grenade blasts, and other technologically determined effects.

I would allow a Jedi to affect a hull code if he had a force power to do so (reinforce atomic bonds??) or a starship mechanic to do so by adding armour plating and structural reinforcements.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Kage's thoughts on having it be representative of the pilot's having presented the best possible profile to the enemy. That makes sense. Being able to coax a few extra ergs out of the shields makes sense. IMO 'reinforcing atomic bonds' isn't something a Jedi could do on the spot; it would require meditation and extreme effort, (read: LONGER TO DO THAN YOU HAVE IN A DOGFIGHT.) Not to dog Volar out, but those options you listed IMO are things that would have to be done during downtime, not during a battle.
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not allow it.
The pilot can use CP´s to boost his vehicle dodge instead.
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd allow it to avoid getting blown into smithereens, or any other instance where the PCs lives are at stake.

Actual hull rolls would only be for fighter craft, though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like a full 'NO vote'........ Guess i will now stop allownig it.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd call it a FULL no-vote, but it's a defintite majority.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a maximum of 5 CP to do this. That's all I'd allow.
to finance my 'vette!
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I Do not like CP use on hull rolls. What I do is a little different. If a ship/vehicle is hit, I give the option that if all the PCs agree to use CPs on the ships behalf, then each PC must send one each for every extra die the ship uses on the damage roll. All other actions are done normally. This keeps my party from attacking without thought, most of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that might work. Makes the party at large responsible for the overall welfare of the vessel, and also incorporates them all in the upkeep of the ship. It signifies the activity of each individual during a battle and their required teamwork to keep the ship spaceworthy. Not a bad concept!
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: