The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Medium repeating blaster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Medium repeating blaster Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therritn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Medium repeating blaster Reply with quote

This probably is covered somewhere, but please refresh my memory. Can a medium repeating blaster be hand carried like a light repeating blaster without a penalty or is it like a heavy repeating blaster in that it can be only tripod/turret mounted?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's only really a single example of a Medium Repeating Blaster, and that's the BlasTech Medium Repeater. And info on it is scarce. No picture and no explanation text. But considering it doesn't use a power generator like the Heavy Repeaters, I'd say they are more similar to a Light Repeater. Though it's almost a cannon, I think it's still hand-held.

It's funny, we have this cannon of a medium repeater that does 7D damage, and we wonder if it might need a tripod, however there are things like the "Thunderer" heavy blaster pistol that does 6D+2 damage......
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time i have seen medium repeaters, they were either hard mounted (unipods in the back of repulsor vehicles) or carried by wookies/barbels.... So i would say a high str/big character COULD carry it.... But the question to ask imo, is does the MRB have a power generator like the heavy Eweb does....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's funny, we have this cannon of a medium repeater that does 7D damage, and we wonder if it might need a tripod, however there are things like the "Thunderer" heavy blaster pistol that does 6D+2 damage......

Yeah, makes you wonder if the person who actually created the weapon ever actually looked at the stats that were already available...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Light Repeating Blaster as like a BAR or Bren Gun (Light Machine Gun), you can move it around with little difficulty, and *CAN* shoot it from the shoulder, but it's best on a bipod.

The Medium as like a M1919A4 ( http://securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0900/937.htm ), yes, man portable, but you'll need a tripod. And you better be strong to haul it!

Finally, the Heavy, and a "Ma Duce" .50 Machine Gun or Vickers Water-Cooled Machine Gun. You'll need a bunch of guys to hump it around properly.

As for the Thunderer, take into consideration that it's the Desert Eagle of the Star Wars Universe, it's big, flasy, noticable, impossible to conceal. It's also almost useless for most militaries as it lacks range, and is much too heavy and maintence intensive.

And prone to blowing up.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Medium repeating blaster Reply with quote

therritn wrote:
This probably is covered somewhere, but please refresh my memory. Can a medium repeating blaster be hand carried like a light repeating blaster without a penalty or is it like a heavy repeating blaster in that it can be only tripod/turret mounted?

I would say it would mainly depend on the make and manufacture of the Medium Repeater. As Gry says, there is really only one example in the official books. I would say it is possible to carry it, but without a special harness of some sort, it would be nessescary to brace it to fire it.

Ultimately, GM's call is what it will come down too.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As for the Thunderer, take into consideration that it's the Desert Eagle of the Star Wars Universe, it's big, flasy, noticable, impossible to conceal. It's also almost useless for most militaries as it lacks range, and is much too heavy and maintence intensive.

And prone to blowing up.

Yup. Seen many a gm, who allowed you to willingly try to go past the ROF of 1 shot per round, but if so, if on ANY of the rolls to hit, you got a 1 on the wild, you caused the gun to blow up IN YOUR HANDS! Twisted Evil
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yup. Seen many a gm, who allowed you to willingly try to go past the ROF of 1 shot per round, but if so, if on ANY of the rolls to hit, you got a 1 on the wild, you caused the gun to blow up IN YOUR HANDS! Twisted Evil

Player: So, why do they call you "Lefty"?
Lefty: (matter of factly)I used to own a Thunderer.
Player: So? I own one myself. What's your point?
Lefty: How do you feel about cybernetics? (grins evilly)
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Finally, the Heavy, and a "Ma Duce" .50 Machine Gun or Vickers Water-Cooled Machine Gun. You'll need a bunch of guys to hump it around properly.

Heck, for the 50 cal, you need two guys just to hump the weapon itself. I once had to hump the extra barrel AND the ammo. That sucked, especially since I had an M203. Talk about not utilizing your resources properly... I was too busy dinking around with the 50 cal to be able to play with my launcher. Evil or Very Mad
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Player: So, why do they call you "Lefty"?
Lefty: (matter of factly)I used to own a Thunderer.
Player: So? I own one myself. What's your point?
Lefty: How do you feel about cybernetics? (grins evilly)

LOL...
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the repeating blasters like this. I'll use US military weapons as comparison.

LRB -- Squad Automatic Weapon (Minimi) (5.56 Nato) Easily carried by a single man but uses a bipod for longer distance/controlled firing.

MRB -- M240B medium machine gun. (7.62 Nato) Carried by a single man with difficulty depending on terrain/distance traveled. Uses a bipod for controlled firing as the SAW but second man carries tripod for fixed emplacements. Also vehicle mounted.

HRB -- M2HB (Ma-Deuce) (.50 cal) Only able to be fired from tripod or vehicle mount. Serious firepower and weight. Takes three personel to carry. Barrel, Reciever, Tripod, not counting ammunition. Did I mention the thing weighs a LOT?!

E
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get away with two people for the heavy if needed. I was on a fifty cal team. I was ammo bearer, which meant I had the ammo AND the barrels. And yeah, the sucker weighs a LOT.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
You could get away with two people for the heavy if needed. I was on a fifty cal team. I was ammo bearer, which meant I had the ammo AND the barrels. And yeah, the sucker weighs a LOT.

I disagree with only 2 crew for a HRB. With how big that battery pack is, you need 2 people just for it, then 1 for the tripod, and at least 1 for the weapon. If it is running on some sort of internal clip, sure, only 2 are needed, but it will only get a few shots, then SOL.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Conventional military thought is you only need to much to kill a man. A knife in the head and a machine gun will do equally thorough jobs, a machine gun can just do it at a range of a couple hundred feet.

Unless the Medium repeater fires like wide explosive blasts or something, more than likely the shots will make big holes in the flesh. Not really much you can do past outright penetration. All the energy goes into making sure that doesn't dissipate over long distances.

But in adventuring situations you rarely find yourselves battling in open fields and over long ranges of fire. This is why heavy blasters do more damage than Atgar towers- Atgar towers can actually hit things from half a mile away. So yeah, for an adventurer a Thunderer is what you want.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak for yourself. We've often found ourselves in situations where the ranges were longer than our Rifles could handle. We've sought out Firearms to get better ranges!

'Course, that's also what mobilization is for, too. Wink Speederbikes and ULAVs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: