The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Maximum damage values for melee weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Maximum damage values for melee weapons Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Maximum damage values for melee weapons Reply with quote

I was always confused as to why some melee weapons had maximum damage values while others did not. The maximum damage values never really made sense to me. I would think a stronger being would always do more damage than a weaker being using the same weapon. A good example is the Jengardin Vibroblade. It has a damage rating of STR+4D+1 (Maximum 8D). So a Wookiee with 6D strength would roll the same for damage as an Adarian with 3D+2 strength??? All characters with a strength of at least 3D+2 would roll the same for damage (3D+2 strength plus 4D+1 weapon damage equals the maximum 8D). That just doesn't seem right to me. What do you guys think?

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think it's right, but i've learned after many arguements with our MOG that he won't edit the rule for his games. so i just kinda delt with it.

Crying or Very sad
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that's bs, it's all dependant on strength

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there's nothing i can do about it...
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the Japanese Katana.
In my opinion, it is the greates sword on earth. It is a weapon, not of strengh, but of grace and speed. It is not made for hack and slash. Stronger individuals prefer heavier weapons to the katana to compliment their strengh and style of fighting.
Now, to star wars, vibro weapons are much like the katana, very sharp and strengh is not really the deciding factor as their settings can be changed to suit the job. the vibro axe is a combo of strength and sharpness so it has a higher damage max. statistically, I don't think it is fair that a knife in the hands of a wookie does more damage than an energy weapon. Why should slugs, for that matter, be less damaging that a knife in the hands of an average human?
I think limiting the damage of melee weapons was a way to keep things fair and balanced as far as weg star wars statistics.
that's my belief anyway, GMs may have other opinions about melee weapon max damages.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, i forgot that i stopped arguing because of that point. i really don't have anything that could refute what the MOG just said.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel Ragnar I had to 'find' an entirely new weapon to deal with the damage max. With 7d strength a vibro blade was completely pointless to me (no pun intended).
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for me I suggested to the MOG a swordsmanship style with special attacks like with martial arts. That's what Ragnar's moonblade style is in the story section.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about that.

I thought you just had some sort of specially made weapon called a moonblade.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sword styles are still being refined. Actually there is a sword called the Moonblade. It is owned by the swordmaster that taught Ragnar the style.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way. A wookie with a butter knife using it to attack and do damage. He hit and now for the damage. let's say the knife has a str+1 damage Max 4D. NO matter how much strength that wookie has there is going to be a point were the knife's damage has reached it's max, and the strength of the weilder can no longer add. The wookie would do more damage by just punching a hole in the human. Using melee weapons the way they are ment to be used, be it cutting, piercing, jabing, etc.... there is a max to using the weapon in an effective manner. Now let's say the Wookie after killing the human is going to use the same tactic to cut open a blast door. The knife will break, or bend, but will not breach the blast door. because the knife's max damage/durability will not allow it to. Does any of that make sense?
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes a lot of sense. Good point.
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: What about breaking point? Reply with quote

I said this somewhere else on a site. Ok..I believe STR truly does come into play when using a Melee weapon. I don't care how buff you are. Some freakin Terminator could come along and use the weapon and do more damage than you however..there is a way to make it fair. Lets say that A weapon has a max damage of Str+3D (Max 7D) Lets say my freakin Wookie O' death swings (6D super buff woookie +3D) for 9D damage! Woo hoo! Heres the balance..after 7D the er..weapon has a chance of shattering due to the buff wookie. So..because it's 2D over. If I roll a 1 or 2 on my destiny die (Have it be an extra roll) Not only does the weapon strike with the full damage but it shatters! Too bad for the wookie..He should'nt have used the puny axe...now an enraged wookie with a force point using melee combat with an AT-ST Leg..now thats something...MEDIC!
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol,
I like that. The weapon shatters. A very useful control mechanism.

Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for knives and swords i use the max damage for axes pikes clubs and other brute force weapons i don't if they mishap on the attack i usually bend the weapon or break it so i made the melee weapon repair skill and i made the melee weapon engineering skill no reason a wookie could make a sword out of tritaniumplated durasteel alloy... i just don't think it should be easy and it sure as heck aint cheap just remember that wookiees can obliterate speeder scale things with there bare hands so when the wookie gets mad you point the starfighter scale shoulder mounted turbo laser at him. you know like that one guy that was with boba fett in hard merchandise he was a star fighter scale reactor driven rail gun with like a 3m ray from what the book made it sound like
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: