The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Impressions of Savage Worlds for Star Wars?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Impressions of Savage Worlds for Star Wars?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Impressions of Savage Worlds for Star Wars? Reply with quote

Have any of you played Savage Worlds? I feel like it has some similarities to WEG Star Wars.

If you have played both systems does WEG still feel like best Star Wars version?
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Savage Worlds Star Wars game ten or more years ago.

Savage Worlds is not my thing. I really dislike the system, and I feel like I'm the only one in the world who doesn't like it.
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having played the system before, what made you not like it?
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, it has been a decade or longer.

I know that even after a mid-length campaign (several months), I still couldn't figure out how combat/soak/damage worked. I'm not dumb, I've played dozens of rpgs, but somehow I could not grok Savage Worlds.

Also, I am not a fan of "dice improving" mechanics. A d4 ability can be improved to a d6, then a d8, etc.

It sells itself as "rules light", but it really isn't.

I'm sure there are a dozen people who could jump in and "explain" it to me. I just don't care anymore.
jtanzer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fits with what I read. The biggest complaint seems to be the toughness system which is vulnerable to the "naked dwarf" syndrome. The second biggest complaint was that combat was far too swingy. One review I read noted that his players tabled a supposedly tough monster easily, and then got TPK'd by basic guards without being able to deal any return damage.
raithyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, every fight can be deadly for all combatants. That's part of the selling point but doesn't work for all narratives.

I generally like playing Savage Worlds but don't enjoy running it as much as don't other systems. The goal of the system is fast, cinematic play with a pulp action feel. It is much crunchier than advertised, especially for the GM, so if you don't have an experienced player to run a game or two it can be very hard to pick up. That crunch is a barrier until it becomes intuitive. Every new edition has lowered that barrier and improved the action economy but the problems are largely inherent to the system.

I've seen two sets of fan-made Star Wars rules (and many other IPs). They are generally quite easy to integrate once you have the core rules down.

D6 is simpler in almost every way outside the Force. High experience advancements and Jedi powers are smoother in Savage Worlds. Overall, I like D6 better but I can certainly see a use case for Savage Worlds we're I running a multi-year campaign instead of shorter adventures. (Although, life's been busy and I haven't run anything or even plan adventures for several weeks.)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Savage Worlds, but I've never read it other than cursory glances. From what I am reading here, the system sounds awful.

Here is the reason I bought it in the first place... I know a former WEG Star Wars GM who switched to Savage Worlds for Star Wars and raved about how Savage Worlds is better for running Star Wars than D6. I bought it and then told the guy I did based on his comments. He immediately started backpedaling, saying that the system plays better than it reads, etc. Star Wars D6 has room to be tweaked for improvement, including to get a little more crunchy to handle more nuance. I still see no reason to chuck D6 completely and switch to a wacky system with a steep learning curve. I'm wondering if he was in a Savage Worlds group and the only way to get them to play Star Wars was to use Savage Worlds.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: