The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marvel / MCU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Marvel / MCU Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that announcement on Downey as Doom.. And wondered what was up..
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can only see this as a cash grab by Marvel. They've been struggling since Endgame, and this is a "cheap" way to garner fan interest.

I think they should double down and have RDJ play Doom, Mr. Fantastic, Human Torch, The Thing, and the Invisible Girl.
Ziz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this going one of three ways.

1 - Don't confuse the actor with the character. Get over it.

2 - Multiverse 11029 where Doom "possesses" Stark - the mind/body switching thing.

3- New Multiverse where, after his escape from the cave in IM1, he goes the other way and becomes a villain. "Victor Von Doom" is a PTSD/schizophrenia alternate personality. It would also be convenient costume-wise, as Doom's mask and armor is kind of a "Mk 1.5" version of Stark's armor - something more refined than the Mk1 from the cave, but not as streamlined as the MK2 forward.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also makes me wonder, is the OTHERS in the MCU when they see 'doom/stark' with his mask off, gonna go "OI What gives!?"
Ziz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what direction they go with the story, and also how it's shot. They might film and edit it such that the audience gets to see his face but the characters never have that opportunity.

Too early to tell.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can only see this as a cash grab by Marvel. They've been struggling since Endgame, and this is a "cheap" way to garner fan interest.

These Marvels films are entertainment being sold for money. A cash grab is a product designed with the intent of generating profits. What other purpose do the product owners have or should have with Marvel films? Of course, they are more profitable when they are entertaining to a large number of customers.

Do you mean that RDJ will get people to the theaters initially but the films will not have staying power? Or the products will sell well all the way just because of RDJ, but the films will really suck so RDJ is being used just to 'Jedi Mind Trick' the masses into thinking the films are good? Yeah, that is cynical! (But maybe you are right.)

I know your use of "cheap" does not mean inexpensive. RDJ made about $150 million for his last two-Avengers-films contract. Granted he may have less screen time this time and he isn't the main protagonist anymore, so maybe it won't be quite as big of a payday. But they definitely still aren't getting him for too cheap.

ThrorII wrote:
I think they should double down and have RDJ play Doom, Mr. Fantastic, Human Torch, The Thing, and the Invisible Girl.

I saw a meme to this effect. I LOLled.

Ziz wrote:
I see this going one of three ways.

1 - Don't confuse the actor with the character. Get over it.

I don't think this is a "way" like the other two. It seems more like just an annoyed response to critics of the casting choice. Maybe?

There is no sensible reason to bring this particular actor back to the franchise unless he is going to be a version of his previous character. So I don't feel it is 'confusion' to conflate the actor with the character in this case. Getting RDJ for a random character unrelated to Tony Stark would be outright silly. I don't think Marvel is quite that horrible yet (but I could be wrong).

Ziz wrote:
2 - Multiverse 11029 where Doom "possesses" Stark - the mind/body switching thing.

Ugh, what a waste that would be.

Ziz wrote:
3- New Multiverse where, after his escape from the cave in IM1, he goes the other way and becomes a villain. "Victor Von Doom" is a PTSD/schizophrenia alternate personality. It would also be convenient costume-wise, as Doom's mask and armor is kind of a "Mk 1.5" version of Stark's armor - something more refined than the Mk1 from the cave, but not as streamlined as the MK2 forward.

Bingo. Their current multiverse setting is perfect for a divergent version of Tony Stark as an armored villain.

Ziz wrote:
They might film and edit it such that the audience gets to see his face but the characters never have that opportunity.

What a waste it would be for there not to be a big reveal for the heroes to shockingly see the face of their dead comrade.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ThrorII wrote:

These Marvels films are entertainment being sold for money. A cash grab is a product designed with the intent of generating profits. What other purpose do the product owners have or should have with Marvel films? Of course, they are more profitable when they are entertaining to a large number of customers.

Do you mean that RDJ will get people to the theaters initially but the films will not have staying power? Or the products will sell well all the way just because of RDJ, but the films will really suck so RDJ is being used just to 'Jedi Mind Trick' the masses into thinking the films are good? Yeah, that is cynical! (But maybe you are right.)

I know your use of "cheap" does not mean inexpensive. RDJ made about $150 million for his last two-Avengers-films contract. Granted he may have less screen time this time and he isn't the main protagonist anymore, so maybe it won't be quite as big of a payday. But they definitely still aren't getting him for too cheap.

I mean that its is a surefire way to generate interest and put butts in seats, if only out of curiousity.

However, it is lazy writing. There are many, many, great actors who could be tapped to play VVD. Having the 'face' of Marvel (who died an epic death on screen) come back to play another (armored) character just seems like the easy out.

I've heard (unconfirmed) that RDJ is making $80 million for 2 movies. That is a buttload of cash. That is why HE's doing it. Marvel is just out of ideas, and their vapid idea is "well, RDJ put butts in seats, lets use him again. People will love it!!"
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox X-Meh series / Deadpool & Wolverine Reply with quote

I didn't rewatch any of the Fox X-meh films before seeing Deadpool & Wolverine today...

Whill wrote:
FOX X-MEN MOVIE VIEWING ORDER #1

1. X-Men: First Class (primarily 1962)
2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (primarily late 1970s)
3. X-Men (early noughties)
4. X2: X-Men United (mid-noughties)
5. X-Men: The Last Stand (mid-noughties)
6. The Wolverine (2013)
7. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2023 -> largely 1973)
8. X-Men: Apocalypse (1983)
9. Dark PhoeniX (early 90s)
10. Deadpool (2016)
11. Deadpool 2 (2018)
12. The New Mutants (2020s)
13. Logan (2029)

FOX X-MEN MOVIE VIEWING ORDER #2

I'm sticking with Order #2 from now on. Hopefully the MCU X-Men films will be better.

I edited the viewing order after seeing Deadpool & Wolverine and doing some more reading about the Fox X-meh timelines. I moved Logan to the end because it's in its own timeline anyway but events in it are significant to MCU's Deadpool & Wolverine.

There is still some debate about which of the three X-meh timelines The New Mutants takes place in, but ultimately it doesn't matter much because it is almost completely unrelated to all other Fox X-meh movies. So I moved it in between the first two Deadpool films and Logan.

That leaves both timelines of the main X-Men films continuous, then the two Deadpools, then The New Mutants, and then Logan. Despite at least some of these films now officially being integrated into the MCU multiverse, I'm still sticking with second viewing order above.

Using the Deadpool's time traveling shenanigans in Deadpool 2 and the MCU's TVA to introduce Deadpool and the other non-Disney (and non-Sony) Marvel films into the MCU multiverse was logical. The premise of the TVA doesn't make sense in the first place so Fox's X-meh timelines being incorporated seems to fit right in. Disney seems to just be square-pegging the prior Deadpool films and Logan into the second main X-meh timeline, even though Logan pointedly contradicts both X-meh timelines and still takes place in the future of the present day in Deadpool's reality in D&W.

I wasn't particularly entertained by D&W. The aspects that made it rated-R (gratuitous blood/gore and profanity) were completely unnecessary and added nothing to the film. Some people think Deadpool is hilarious but I only chuckled a few times. Overall, D&W was a whole latta meh, much like the Fox X-series and most of the current MCU films and series.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even bothered seeing new mutants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: