The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Being inebreiated??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Being inebreiated??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Being inebreiated?? Reply with quote

In some other game systems, there are rules for what happens when doing stuff, while Drunk.

Is there anything like that someone's made up for SW??
Ziz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember anything in any of the books about that, but I'd imagine you can come up with a handicap system of subtracting pips and dies depending how many drinks someone has had, rating different drinks on different scales as to how fast/seriously someone gets drunk...things like that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to come up with something on the fly, treat it like Stun Damage, but also the equivalent of Ignore Pain, ramping up in direct proportion to the “Stun”.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some simple system as I recall in the Cultures & Society netbook, not tried it, but might give a place to start.

it's in the Rancor Pit Library: Guide to Cultures and Society
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I''ll have to give that a look see
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game mechanics serve communal storytelling unless it is a game where drunkenness is a central focus. In Star Wars, it would be hard to argue that inebriation is central. That being the case, I would say the mechanics greatly depend on how inebriation is supposed to work in the scene. Literally, why are they getting drunk?

Is this part of a character background? Are they exploring a character who struggles with addiction? Is this a comedic lark? Is this just roleplay? Is this supposed to be part of a skill challenge for something that would have otherwise been easy?

I think depending on the answers to these questions would answer how inebriation would function mechanically.
Ziz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Game mechanics serve communal storytelling unless it is a game where drunkenness is a central focus. In Star Wars, it would be hard to argue that inebriation is central. That being the case, I would say the mechanics greatly depend on how inebriation is supposed to work in the scene. Literally, why are they getting drunk?

Is this part of a character background? Are they exploring a character who struggles with addiction? Is this a comedic lark? Is this just roleplay? Is this supposed to be part of a skill challenge for something that would have otherwise been easy?

I think depending on the answers to these questions would answer how inebriation would function mechanically.

PC needs to schmooze an NPC to get info out of them, so they go out drinking, hoping the NPC will get drunk enough to give up the info. Plan backfires. Turns out NPC is an alien race that isn't affected by alcohol and PC ends up getting drunk instead.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

The once i saw it came up in game, was the imps had targeted three of the group (seven pcs total, 3 force users. ONE WAS ME!), and were waiting till they got involved in a large drinking competition, before they struck. The Dm didnt even THINK what penalties we'd have due to being drunk, when the imps finally rumbled us, and we got into a fire fight.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Being inebreiated?? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In some other game systems, there are rules for what happens when doing stuff, while Drunk.

Is there anything like that someone's made up for SW??

For RAW, I remember there is a lum guzzling contest in the cantina in the Tatooine Manhunt adventure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

The once i saw it came up in game, was the imps had targeted three of the group (seven pcs total, 3 force users. ONE WAS ME!), and were waiting till they got involved in a large drinking competition, before they struck. The Dm didnt even THINK what penalties we'd have due to being drunk, when the imps finally rumbled us, and we got into a fire fight.

PLEASE tell me you had detoxify poison! That would have been a great moment.

For a drinking game, I would probably make it a stamina roll to resist the effects, reflecting your general alcohol toleration. Maybe with a -2 to each additional drink.

Failed rolls would probably have a -1D to dex, know, and perc.

Though, I mean, I guess other skills too. I do not want my transport pilot flying the ship through an asteroid field with 10 drinks in them.

If you're trying to talk information out of someone, then failed rolls would have an increased difficulty to not let it slip that you're leading the person in a direction. Then we'd have to see if the NPC noticed the slip in their inebriated state.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would treat it as a poison that gives a penalty to all actions, but maybe give a bonus to resisting damage?

I have a section in my house rules on spices and drugs - that I need to update (It is from a game years ago) - and I think I just treat it as another drug.

Now that I have fatigue house rules - I am thinking that I may just have it induce a drug related fatigue ...

(I call it strain/stress - each point - you have to take a Stamina check, or gain a pip of fatigue - and they build up - so someone with a greater stamina would eventually have multiple drinks hit them).

Hmmmm.....great topic.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
garhkal wrote:

PLEASE tell me you had detoxify poison! That would have been a great moment.

As i build the character as a 'competitive drinker' of course.. PITY control was all i had, no sense or alter, so when the fight was engaged, i got shot 3 straight times (stun bolts), and since i had no resist stun at the time, i went out...

cheshire wrote:
For a drinking game, I would probably make it a stamina roll to resist the effects, reflecting your general alcohol toleration. Maybe with a -2 to each additional drink.

Failed rolls would probably have a -1D to dex, know, and perc.

The DM had it where the first drink was free, then 2nd and 3rd were very easy, 4th and 5th were easy, sixth was moderate, seventh was diff, then v/diff.. Fail and you were 'stunned' as per the wound chart.. Get enough stuns as your stamina was, you passed out.

cheshire wrote:
Though, I mean, I guess other skills too. I do not want my transport pilot flying the ship through an asteroid field with 10 drinks in them.

OR riding on the back of a tauntaun while drunk (my pc did 2 sessions before that battle with the stormies).
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

The DM had it where the first drink was free, then 2nd and 3rd were very easy, 4th and 5th were easy, sixth was moderate, seventh was diff, then v/diff.. Fail and you were 'stunned' as per the wound chart.. Get enough stuns as your stamina was, you passed out.

For that context, I really like this.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I really liked the concept of the drinking game force user, i've often wanted to make a new one, if i ever got to play again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: