The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need a D6 Stat conversion for Smuggler's Trenchcoat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Need a D6 Stat conversion for Smuggler's Trenchcoat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Need a D6 Stat conversion for Smuggler's Trenchcoat Reply with quote

I came across something that could be very useful for a smuggler-type character: The Smuggler's Trenchcoat, from the Star Wars FFG "Fly Casual" book. I'm hoping someone can give me a rough D6 stats conversion for it as it would be awesome for a "freelance entrepeneur" character I'm designing (just for s*** and giggles, alas; I'd love to find a D6 Star Wars group here in DC).

Here's the writeup from Fly Casual for this item:

SMUGGLER'S TRENCHCOAT
"Every smuggler gets searched; that part of the job is inevitable. Some smugglers, however, take the tact that if they simply have enough hidden compartments, at least a few will inevitably go unsearched. The smugglers trenchcoat addresses this strategy, and is covered with pockets, minor compartments, and pouches within pouches to confound any search.
Checks made to find anything hidden within a smugglers trenchcoat while it is being worn are opposed by the Skulduggery of the wearer. The coat can conceal up to 2 encumbrance worth of items."

Ok, yeah, I wanna make my smuggler look like Malcolm Reynolds. No, it's not original at all. Yes, it's still awesome. 8)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I would say that it adds adds 1D to attempts to Hide objects on one's person, or a +2 for things that aren't properly hidden. I'd say the general sort of search of a person would be Easy to Moderate (easy if looking specifically for weapons, moderate if you're looking for "anything illegal").
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Hmmm...

I would say that it adds adds 1D to attempts to Hide objects on one's person, or a +2 for things that aren't properly hidden. I'd say the general sort of search of a person would be Easy to Moderate (easy if looking specifically for weapons, moderate if you're looking for "anything illegal").

I would give a penalty to searchers rather than a bonus to the searched, in this particular case.

And of course, this is just a step away from a Bag of Holding... 8)

EDIT: If you want me to write up a conversion for you, I can, but it might take me half a day or so to work out the mechanics of it on paper so that the item is "useful" but not "too useful", and of course it would probably be mostly be de facto illegal in most systems, since it would fall under the category of "things that inhibit the function of law enforcement". Think radar detector. Anyway, let me know. I'm pretty good at writing up balanced items.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Hmmm...

I would give a penalty to searchers rather than a bonus to the searched, in this particular case.

That's why I had two different sets. If someone is trying to hide objects on their person using this coat, they get a bonus because it's easier to hide things in places with lots of hiding places. If they're not actively hiding it, then it's just harder to find things in places with larger numbers of hiding places.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say..

Smugglers trenchcoat
Availavility 2R
Cost 750cr

This coat is favored by smugglers due to having numerous hidden sewed in pockets, flaps and other stuff to hide things easier.
For objects of around 6 inches in size, it adds 1d to the wearer's hide skill in resisting opponents searches (Physical, not via sensors).
For objects between 2 and 6 inches, it adds 1d+2 to the hide roll, and
anything smaller than 2 inches gains 2d+1 to the hide roll.
They can also be made with a special pistol size holder (most standard blaster pistols, but NOT renegade or thuderer size heavy) which add 1d to hiding those, at a 200 credit increase..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken about five months off from creating stuff because of some health issues earlier in the year, but before that I was working on converting FFG stuff to D6. I remember the Smuggler's Trenchcoat from Fly Casual. Just so happens I have that converted already, so here is what I have, which is in no way the final word on anything converted. Its just my spin on it.

Smugglers Trenchcoat
Every smuggler gets searched; that part of the job is inevitable. Some smugglers, however, take the tact that if they simply have enough hidden compartments, at least a few will inevitably go unsearched. The smugglers trenchcoat addresses this strategy, and is covered with pockets, minor compartments, and pouches within pouches to confound any search.

Smugglers Trenchcoat
Type: Coat
Cost: 350-450 credits
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Checks made to find anything hidden within a smugglers trenchcoat while it is being worn are opposed receiving a +2D modifier to Hide. The coat can conceal up to 2 kilogram of items.
Source: Fly Casual (p.47), mechanics by +Oliver Queen
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Smugglers Trenchcoat
Every smuggler gets searched; that part of the job is inevitable. Some smugglers, however, take the tact that if they simply have enough hidden compartments, at least a few will inevitably go unsearched. The smugglers trenchcoat addresses this strategy, and is covered with pockets, minor compartments, and pouches within pouches to confound any search.

Smugglers Trenchcoat
Type: Coat
Cost: 350-450 credits
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Checks made to find anything hidden within a smugglers trenchcoat while it is being worn are opposed receiving a +2D modifier to Hide. The coat can conceal up to 1 kilogram of items.
Source: Fly Casual (p.47), mechanics by +Oliver Queen

^ +1 from me. Nice simple write-up, no charts, easily understood rules phrasing, in other words: elegant. The best thing a game element can be!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
+1 from me. Nice simple write-up, no charts, easily understood rules phrasing, in other words: elegant. The best thing a game element can be!

Thanks Error. There was a time I really thought that SWd6 needed to be expanded and more detailed. Basically adding all sorts of level of detail. Over the last few years as I have developed additional content I feel myself embracing a sort of minimalist approach to the mechanics. Allowing greater narrative, faster rules and dropping layers of complexity for sped up action.

Though upon further review I would increase the weight of item(s) to 2 kilograms as a Glock 17 weighs in at about 1 kilogram.

As for increasing the layer of complexity I had toyed around with such things as:

1. May carry any number of items up to 5 kilograms without penalty (keep in mind a 10# tube of hamburger is about a yard in length and about 5-6" is circumference).
2. -1 modifier for every kilogram over 5.
3. -1 Move from restriction to legs.

etc, etc, etc. The level of complexity is really mirrored by the type of game you want to run.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly. And a hat tip to Shootingwomprats for the writeup. I don't know how much of what's in the Star Wars FFG books that's actually new, but it seems that this was one thing/idea that was never statted in any of the D6 books. I don't like the FFG system but at least the fluff in them is illuminating. Great stuff for story or character ideas, if nothing else.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pricing seems a little low, Shooting.. but otherwise i like it..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The pricing seems a little low, Shooting.. but otherwise i like it..

I disagree that it's too low... there's not much technology involved in this trenchcoat, after all. A bunch of pockets, maybe some passive scanning shielding on a couple of them... and it costs more than a blast vest. At the high end, it costs more than a rocket pack.

If anything, I think the cost is a bit too high.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the price of the coat will vary depending on the material used to make it.

A Smuggler's Trenchcoat with a nice Bothan fur lining will be more expensive than one made from Gamorrian leather.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put Smuggler's Trenchcoats which are simply multi-pocketed and hidden-pocketed garments about twice the price of a regular trenchcoat, mainly because the technology needed is still just fabric and a sewing needle. But if you want them to have anything except deceptive pocketry, such as shielding from scans or any other bells and whistles, the price would obviously be higher.

If I were to use this in my games, the simplest Smuggler's Trenchcoat would probably cost the character around 100 credits and would provide a +2D bonus to Hide when hiding items within it, just like shootingwomprats wrote.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own notes, I made the cost to be "100-350 credits varying as per textile material" as the price will change depending on how exotic/expensive the material that the coat is made of. Like say, Zerka fabric. (See what I did there? I snuck a Babylon 5 reference into a Star Wars website!

...I'll let myself out.)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have my smuggler coat made out of Shadowsilk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: