The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cluster Missiles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Cluster Missiles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Cluster Missiles Reply with quote

I did not play any of the games, but in my research on SWRe2, Darth Vader's TIE Advanced x1 is listed as having them. I was able to find a link to an explanation of the ordinance, but the wording is a bit hard to understand. I am sure if I saw this in gameplay I would understand it but I have not. Has this been converted to D6 yet?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the old pc game battlefront had these on some ships... But for seeing Anything for d6 on them.. Nope..
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cluster Missiles Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I did not play any of the games, but in my research on SWRe2, Darth Vader's TIE Advanced x1 is listed as having them. I was able to find a link to an explanation of the ordinance, but the wording is a bit hard to understand. I am sure if I saw this in gameplay I would understand it but I have not. Has this been converted to D6 yet?

Reading the description; it sounds like a confusing description of unguided rockets that fire in salvos or ripples.

You point at the enemy and fire. If you maintain that heading, all the rockets are going to be launched in rapid succession and head in the same direction toward the front of the firing platform.

While the rockets are being ejected in rapid succession, if you bank your firing platform, the rockets still are going forward relative to the front of the firing platform, creating in a spread effect.

That's what I get out of it anyway.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was researching for the various missiles for my Starfighter combat rules, I found that there are actually fan-made instructional videos on YouTube that give a walk through on the use of the ordnance for the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. I did a quick search last night and there was one listed for the Super Cluster Missiles. I'm on my phone at the moment, so I can't cut and paste, but it's not too hard to find.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research and found a couple walkthroughs where the cluster missiles are described. They appear to break up into multiple, smaller missiles after launch, increasing the chance of hitting the target. With my Starfighter combat system, I distinguished between unitary and cluster bombs by giving the cluster bombs lower damage but higher fire control, as the multiple missiles increased the likelihood of a hit, but decreased the total damage.

Using my system as a base, I'd use the basic concussion or proton rocket stat, then shift 2D from Damage to Fire Control, no Lock-On required, but no Follow-Up Attacks.

The more advanced Homing Cluster Missile would shift the same 2D, but require the Lock-On and allow Follow-Ups Attacks.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they should be trading better chance to hit for lower damage then..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So they should be trading better chance to hit for lower damage then..

I believe that's what I said.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought on this...

A common weapon in the Renegade Legions game is the SMLM, or Sub-Munitions Laser-guided Missile. RL uses template patterns overlaid on a graphic of ship or vehicle systems to indicate damage inflicted, and can damage multiple systems simultaneously. I came up with the following idea for a D6 cluster weapon:
    1). Roll to Hit and Damage as Normal.

2). For every 5 points by which the To Hit roll succeeded, make an additional roll on the Damage Chart.

For Example, if a starfighter fires a cluster missile at another starfighter, and rolls a Lightly Damaged result, roll once on the Lightly Damaged sub-chart. However, the starfighter beat the target's evasion by 7 points, and thus is allowed a second roll on the Lightly Damaged chart, inflicting damage as normal.

Since Damage is compounded at Heavily and Severely Damaged Levels, it would be appropriate to reduce base Damage to compensate, or single cluster missile hits for Heavy / Severely Damaged results can quickly stack to result in a destroyed ship. However, I think this rule accurately represents the effect of taking damage from multiple hits to multiple locations from the same attack, as befits a cluster weapon.

Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I did some research and found a couple walkthroughs where the cluster missiles are described. They appear to break up into multiple, smaller missiles after launch, increasing the chance of hitting the target. With my Starfighter combat system, I distinguished between unitary and cluster bombs by giving the cluster bombs lower damage but higher fire control, as the multiple missiles increased the likelihood of a hit, but decreased the total damage.

Using my system as a base, I'd use the basic concussion or proton rocket stat, then shift 2D from Damage to Fire Control, no Lock-On required, but no Follow-Up Attacks.

The more advanced Homing Cluster Missile would shift the same 2D, but require the Lock-On and allow Follow-Ups Attacks.

Sounds good.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an area effect type.advantage in the game? Cluster missiles could be represented as an area effect attack.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Is there an area effect type.advantage in the game? Cluster missiles could be represented as an area effect attack.

WEG touches on it, but never really puts it to good use apart from hand grenades.

Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:

WEG touches on it, but never really puts it to good use apart from hand grenades.

In that case, I would stick with increased Fire Control.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about cluster missiles use command rules for the amountif missiles hit? Roughly the base damage should be less than a standard missle. You roll cluster as command to see hiw many missiles hit it. Btw you have enough missikes in the cluster that if you roll average, then you do the same as a norma missile and above average does +3D more.I
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm trying to minimize dice rolls here. More missiles means a greater chance of getting a hit, but a higher To Hit roll indicates a greater chance of hitting with more than one missile, and more than one hit means the possibility of more than one system being damaged. As such, what I suggest for a Cluster Missile, compared to a standard concussion missile, is A) lower damage, B) higher fire control, and C) the greater chance of hitting inflicting multiple kinds of damage on a single hit.

So, resolve Hit and Damage normally to determine which Damage sub-chart to use (Lightly Damage, Heavily Damaged, Severely Damaged, etc), then the shooter gets an extra roll on the indicated sub-chart for every 5 points by which they succeeded on the To Hit roll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: