The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Nella 330 heavy SCOUT ship, poor sensors or what???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Nella 330 heavy SCOUT ship, poor sensors or what???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Nella 330 heavy SCOUT ship, poor sensors or what??? Reply with quote

Was looking for new freighter/scout ships to get as a back up craft, and my eyes settled on the Nella 330 'heavy scout'..
Looking at it only having the one weapon (same as all the others) and not much else in the way of strong hull/shields, i find it screwy its called a Heavy scout..
And onto the scout side of house, its Sensors are rather pithy for something that's supposed to be a frikken scout ship. It has exactly the same sensor range as the Nella 342 and 352 light FREIGHTERS, and only +1 pip greater hull... i wouldn't call THAT a 'heavy' anything, and you have some regular freighters (NOT scout ships) which have either further range or better bonuses...
So what were the developers thinking of when they made this ship?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on FVB's write-up, it would seem that decision was made at the executive level, likely at marketing's behest.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that link, it seems more usable for a heavy raider, with the heavy duty power core.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Looking at that link, it seems more usable for a heavy raider, with the heavy duty power core.

It's impossible to say for certain, but it might even have been designed as a raider or armed courier. I picture SoroSuub designing and manufacturing a multi-role platform with a little bit of everything. The decision to market it as a "heavy scout" would've been a marketing decision based on short-term projections ("heavy scouts" were in demand, and the Nella 330 could serve as such, so Marketing promoted the aspects of the 330 that made it a "heavy scout", even though it wasn't designed specifically for that role).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, while the 330's sensors may be short ranged in absolute terms, there are plenty of scout ships that are even worse. Just going down the list of Scout Ships on the Holocron, the 330's sensors are superior to the A-24 Sleuth, Corellian OreSeeker, and Star Cab, and fall just short of the Deep-X Explorer and Skyblind.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, imo WEG buggered some of those up. Though iirc the ore seaker and star cab are also a lot older ships, ergo their sensors being shorter range somewhat makes sense..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yea, imo WEG buggered some of those up. Though iirc the ore seaker and star cab are also a lot older ships, ergo their sensors being shorter range somewhat makes sense..

I tend to agree. Of course, I also wonder whether sensor range is the most important attribute for a survey scout. I can see it for military vessels, like the MRX-BR Pacifier, but a purely civilian scout ship on a survey mission isn't going to need a huge amount of sensor range to do an orbital scan of a newly discovered planet. If anything, the ship's 3 month Consumables is a bigger problem.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I tend to agree. Of course, I also wonder whether sensor range is the most important attribute for a survey scout. I can see it for military vessels, like the MRX-BR Pacifier, but a purely civilian scout ship on a survey mission isn't going to need a huge amount of sensor range to do an orbital scan of a newly discovered planet. If anything, the ship's 3 month Consumables is a bigger problem.

IMO part of being a good scout is seeing things far out AND seeing them a lot better up close.. ergo scout ships should by logic have the longer ranges than military ships, OR at least higher bonuses...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key word being "good". Generally, good also means expensive. I agree a good scout needs good sensors, but I expect there is plenty of room in the market for a "mediocre" scout ship that is good enough to get the job done for the scout on a budget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: