The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clone Wars Equipment in the Classic Era
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Clone Wars Equipment in the Classic Era
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Clone Wars Equipment in the Classic Era Reply with quote

During the Galactic Civil War, the Alliance was known to use older, Clone Wars-era equipment. At the time, it was a blank slate, so they could make up whatever they wanted. Now that the prequels and the Clone Wars have filled in a lot of gaps, there is a glut of equipment potentially available to the Alliance, some of it pretty potent. What ships and vehicles from the Clone Wars do you allow your characters to access in the Classic Era?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the top of my head I've generally made the following available to the Rebels:

Ground Vehicles:
    AT-RT (All Terrain Recon Transport)
    AT-TE (All Terrain Tactical Enforcer)
    Juggernaut

Atmospheric Vehicles:
    Republic Gunship / LAAT/i & LAAT/c

Starfighters:
    ARC-170 Starfighter
    V-Wing Starfighter

Capital ships:
    Acclamator-Class Transport
    Venator-Class

More often than not they are heavily modified (where possible) to fit needed roles, and I've had some that look the worse for wear but are still potent weapons.

Obviously some of the larger vehicles are not as easy for the Rebels to transport, so those would more often than not have been discovered on certain worlds which have become outposts of the Rebellion and are used there until such time as the outpost is abandoned...

Remembering that the Grand Army of the Republic was spread over a very wide area of space while it was in conflict with the CIS.

T.C.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most imo went to the Empire, not the rebellion. BUT i have used a few Laats..

Planning to use some of those ATRTs
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is a deleted scene in Ep111 that shows Mon Motma and Padme and some others meeting to discuss a contingency plan in case the war goes south.

Not to mention that Bail Organa was a member of the imperial senate, etc...

I would estimate that at least a portion of the leftover stuff was "acquired" by the rebellion not as a result of capturing it, but as a result of it being issued to those imperial governers who joined the rebellion in the first place.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think when the empire converted to Imperial standard a lot of the Clone wars gear either went to lonely garrisons in unimportant systems or into salvage yards.....which would mean the rebels had for years good sources of old material. an Acclamator would have been pretty 'easy' since the empire converted them to cargo ships apparently (in legends at any rate) but i suspect any Venators would have had to have been salvaged because they were just big enough to pose an issue and would have been PERFECT for the rebels preferred tactics especially with Hyper-drive equipped ARC-170's, B-wings and such.

The Alliance was also probably useing DC-15's and other Republic/CIS Weapons well into the GCW especially after they found the Another Chance (which i now assume was loaded with what Alderaanian Soldiers were carrying during the clone wars rather then much older gear but hey you never know).
I think a fun adventure would be to send rebel players to an old battlefield to salvage an Accalamator or Venator......and have it still crawling with deactivated droids that power on when they board the ship.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
Just off the top of my head I've generally made the following available to the Rebels:

Nice list. I also include the Theta-Class Shuttle from ROTS and the Nu-Class Attack Shuttle from the Clone Wars TV series. As far as Capital Ships, I include pretty much all the major Separatist ships, and some other ships from TCW, like the Arquitens Light Cruiser. Having a greater variety of ship types available adds to the patchwork-like appearance of the Alliance, who pretty much take their fleet wherever they can find it, as opposed to building it to suit their tastes like the Empire.

I've even considered porting over some of the Separatist ground vehicles, like the tanks and troop carriers from TPM (and the landing craft to go with them)...

Quote:
More often than not they are heavily modified (where possible) to fit needed roles, and I've had some that look the worse for wear but are still potent weapons.

What are some of those modifications? I'm always looking for new ideas. A couple examples are the shuttle types I mentioned above. I've got plans in the works to add the mass driver missile launchers from the LAAT/i* onto the Nu-Class Attack Shuttle, as well as adding a trio of sensor domes onto the Theta-Class to make it an AWACS platform for Rebel starfighters.

*Under my scale system, the LAAT is actually Starfighter-Scale, like the Cloud Cars, and can operate up into low orbital space.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Most imo went to the Empire, not the rebellion. BUT i have used a few Laats..

Agreed, but even if the Empire got most of it, the bit left over would make a strong showing in the Alliance arsenal.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Well, there is a deleted scene in Ep111 that shows Mon Mothma and Padme and some others meeting to discuss a contingency plan in case the war goes south.

Not to mention that Bail Organa was a member of the imperial senate, etc...

I would estimate that at least a portion of the leftover stuff was "acquired" by the rebellion not as a result of capturing it, but as a result of it being issued to those imperial governors who joined the rebellion in the first place.
RedKnight wrote:
i think when the empire converted to Imperial standard a lot of the Clone wars gear either went to lonely garrisons in unimportant systems or into salvage yards.....which would mean the rebels had for years good sources of old material. an Acclamator would have been pretty 'easy' since the empire converted them to cargo ships apparently (in legends at any rate) but i suspect any Venators would have had to have been salvaged because they were just big enough to pose an issue and would have been PERFECT for the rebels preferred tactics especially with Hyper-drive equipped ARC-170's, B-wings and such.

The Alliance was also probably using DC-15's and other Republic/CIS Weapons well into the GCW especially after they found the Another Chance (which i now assume was loaded with what Alderaanian Soldiers were carrying during the clone wars rather then much older gear but hey you never know).
I think a fun adventure would be to send rebel players to an old battlefield to salvage an Acclamator or Venator......and have it still crawling with deactivated droids that power on when they board the ship.

Awesome stuff here, as all these are great reasons why the Alliance would have access to this equipment. The droid ship concept would probably be a better fit to a Separatist ship instead of an Acclamator or Venator, though...

TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I also include the Theta-Class Shuttle from ROTS and the Nu-Class Attack Shuttle from the Clone Wars TV series. As far as Capital Ships, I include pretty much all the major Separatist ships, and some other ships from TCW, like the Arquitens Light Cruiser. Having a greater variety of ship types available adds to the patchwork-like appearance of the Alliance, who pretty much take their fleet wherever they can find it, as opposed to building it to suit their tastes like the Empire.

I've even considered porting over some of the Separatist ground vehicles, like the tanks and troop carriers from TPM (and the landing craft to go with them)...

Awesome ideas, and in looking through the lists of ships and equipment, is pretty much the way I would go with it...

CRMcNeill wrote:
What are some of those modifications? I'm always looking for new ideas. A couple examples are the shuttle types I mentioned above. I've got plans in the works to add the mass driver missile launchers from the LAAT/i* onto the Nu-Class Attack Shuttle, as well as adding a trio of sensor domes onto the Theta-Class to make it an AWACS platform for Rebel starfighters.

Excellent, and I will be using those ideas myself. As far as mods, I've generally had vehicles they use (when stolen from the Empire and so on) modified to be more multi-role vehicles, rather than the more single-minded roles the Empire has (as they generally use different vehicles for different roles, the Rebellion doesn't always have that luxury).
Other examples are switching out armaments to create heavy weapon / support vehicles, stripping out passenger space to create more cargo space, modifying engines to get a few more mph out of them (though this sometimes mean they may not be as reliable), adding shields when possible to make the vehicles more durable, and so on...

CRMcNeill wrote:
*Under my scale system, the LAAT is actually Starfighter-Scale, like the Cloud Cars, and can operate up into low orbital space.

I'll have to take another look at that, as that makes perfect sense...... Thanks!

T.C.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Awesome stuff here, as all these are great reasons why the Alliance would have access to this equipment. The droid ship concept would probably be a better fit to a Separatist ship instead of an Acclamator or Venator, though...

well the general idea with that one is it was attacked near the end of the war - so its adrift somewhere with the droids that boarded it having formed a local network - maybe from one of the TC Tactical Command droids (Vulture droids apparently were still an issue well after the battle Naboo because they could do this and form packs). honestly if my players werent a bunch of imperials i'd probably see if i could steer them towards things like this salvageing or stealing old Republic hardware. sounds like it would be fun.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

As an addendum to this, the Star Wars Commander strategy video game (separate from Force Commander) gives the Alliance a mix of Separatist and Republic equipment for their forces, including the AAT-1 Repulsor Tank from TPM, the CIS Hailfire droid from AOTC, and the AT-AP and Juggernaut from ROTS (although the video game version of the Juggernaut bears only a passing resemblance to the WEG version).

RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In legends 'Rebel One' was a providence (the sep ship from the beginning of EP 3) so i suspect they'd be heavier on the sep hardware. either acquired from battlefields or from sep hold outs that joined them after the war....huh would be kinda neat to have rebel PC's that are actually members OF the rebellion at the start roll on a chart.

like 1: DC-15, 2 E5, 3 A-280, 4 Seized E-11, 5 DLT-20 A, 6 DH-17 And be happy we could give you -that- !

on the vehicles front though i suspect that the only ones they could effectively use would be the ones from TPM since those had droids driving them and were not them selves droids.......though the idea of hallowing out the head of a vulture droid, setting up an armored speeder bike type control system and sticking some poor schlub in an EV Suit in there to fly it is hilarious its better suited to pirates.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:

I think a fun adventure would be to send rebel players to an old battlefield to salvage an Accalamator or Venator......and have it still crawling with deactivated droids that power on when they board the ship.
I have been working on a scenario very similar to this. I believe that Y-wings also barely made it into the Clone Wars. So the Rebels hear of an old Venator that has appeared and are sent to investigate to see if there are still Y-wings onboard. However the ship is supposed to be a ghost ship. If fact, it is an old trap by the CIS. Once people board it, the droids come alive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: