The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shopping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Shopping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Shopping Reply with quote

The standard way to find a rare item might be to just tell the GM you are looking for something. He makes you roll against a difficulty based on how rare it is. If you get it, you find it.

I prefer to leave a bit more to chance as a GM. Of course as a GM I can veto this system at any time for something important to the story. But for most things, the players know there may be a slim chance to find what they are looking for...but the player's joy of rolling enough '6's is probably comparable to the character's joy at finding that rare lightsaber crystal they've been looking for in a junk dealer's tray of used jewelry.

------------
Shopping for Rare Items

Hard to get items are expensive. But just because you have the money to buy it doesn’t mean that you can even find it to buy.

When hunting for rare and exotic goods, use the following system:

Find the appropriate shopping die pool by taking the region’s base dice, multiplying by the planetary condition modifier and then multiplying by the location of the planet. The result, rounded down is the number of 6 sided dice rolled.

When rolling, do not add the dice results together as you normally would. Instead count the number of dice that come up as '6's.

If you get a number of 6 results equal to the rarity of the item, congratulations, you have found someone who is willing to sell that item.

You can make one such shopping roll after an entire galactic standard day of shopping.

If you get more than ten ‘1’ results, you have likely gained the attention of the local black market, criminal syndicate or imperial authorities who may begin taking an interest in your activities.

Region:
Outer Rim Territories 2D6
Mid Rim or Expansion Region or Inner Rim 3D6
Colonies 6D6
Core Worlds 8D6

Planetary Condition
Sparsely populated x0.5
Well Populated x1.0
Densely populated x1.5
Megapopulated x2.0

City x1.0
Major City or Space port x1.5
Capital or major space hub x2.0

Special: The GM may add bonus dice to the pool depending on the situation. For example looking for a finely crafted bowcaster on Kashyyyk might be worth 5 extra dice. Shopping at a market known for exotic spices might give 2 extra dice when shopping for Glitterstim.

Intensified Search
More than mere browsing the shops and markets. This involves in-depth talking with dealers, searching out owners who may be willing to sell their personal belongings, and waiting for shipments.

When conducting an intensified search, you double the number of dice rolled but spend a week searching.

Greasing palms:
A character with Streetwise can roll his skill dice during a search. Instead of adding up the dice, use them to count additional ‘6’ results.

The character is expected to spend 50cr per rarity of the item looking for in bribes for every time he uses his skill in this fashion.

example: searching for an item with a rarity of 4 will cost 200cr to use the streetwise skill to grease palms.

If the item sought is not something that is likely to turn up for sale in an urban center, this same system can be used to hunt down information on where to find a rare item.

Exceptional weaponry

Exceptional weapons are a likely item to be sought out.

Base rarity:
Melee weapons: 1
Sporting Blaster: 2
Blaster Pistol: 3
Heavy Blaster Pistol/ Blaster Carbines: 4
Blaster Rifles: 5
Grenades: 6
Light Repeating or Repeating blaster: 6
Missile launchers: 7

(can be for Attack, Parry and Damage)
Inferior: -1 to rolls x0.5 rarity
Standard: +0 to rolls. x1.0 rarity
High Quality: +1 to rolls x2.0 rarity
Masterwork: +2 to rolls x3.0 rarity
Legendary: +1D to rolls. x4.0 rarity

Special abilities:
Some weapons have a special trait or ability. This is highly variable and may have a variable rarity factor.

Example
A Blaster Pistol with:
Standard attack (x1.0)
High Quality Damage (x2.0)

=3x1x2 would have a rarity of 6
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting rule.. So if the # of dice rolled = the rarity, it can be located. But do they still need to say use business, value or streetwise to actually find the seller?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Interesting rule.. So if the # of dice rolled = the rarity, it can be located. But do they still need to say use business, value or streetwise to actually find the seller?

I have streetwise being able to augment the dice pool to find the item.

Value is used to determine the fair offering price for the item...to begin the bargaining. Without it the PCs would never know if they were getting a deal or ripped off.

Business doesn't enter the system in that way for me; thought it might if contracts were involved.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. So its Roll play to find items rather than role play.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Gotcha. So its Roll play to find items rather than role play.

Yes. And here's why that's not as bad as it might sound.

I like my players to know they are in an open-sandbox type game. I create the framework and the systems...and they play within it.

The players know that the GM controls everything, but when I take things out of the GMs hands a bit, they get a feeling of freedom.

For example, recently I had a player looking for a rare part to fix up a classic hot rod speeder he's been helping to work on.

It could have gone like this:

"I look for that part when I'm in the city."

I think about the chances that it's actually there. Is it Easy? Is it Hard? The player makes the roll. If they pass the roll, then they find it, don't they? It feels very linear. Sure I could make the roll secret...use 'uncertainty dice' maybe not tell the player the difficulty and have them roll the best they can.

But when I let the decision for something like that go our of my hands as the GM, it's as thrilling as combat is for the player. The player knows I'm not arranging for that part to be there. It's not related to the major storyline so I could care less whether he finds it or not.

I've judged it to have a rarity of 4 and I let the universe decide, within the framework I have set up.

Last game he was poking around a stolen repulsorlift chop-shop while they were there on other business...and got the four '6's he needed. He knows I didn't 'plant' it there for him as the GM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: