The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

B-Wing prototype (Blade Wing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> B-Wing prototype (Blade Wing) Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skree99
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: B-Wing prototype (Blade Wing) Reply with quote

Anyone doing stats on this bad boy?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't even heard of it. Are you talking about the B-Wing prototype from Strike Force Shantipole, or is this something new?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
skree99
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am referring to the Star Wars : Rebels episode Wings of the Master..That showed the prototype B-Wing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the need to come up with stats for this; WEG's stats for the B-Wing date all the way back to 1E. If you need the WEG prototype stats, they are in the adventure book Strike Force Shantipole. I'm sure the D6 Holocron can help you track down a copy.

nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution: Minor spoilers below if you haven't seen the latest Star Wars Rebels episode yet.

I haven't looked up the old stats you're referring to, crmcneill, but I'm guessing they won't reflect what was depicted in the Rebels episode. The B-Wing prototype used what can only be described as a starfighter-mounted, deathstar-style, superlaser. It was a sustained beam produced by the convergence of several smaller beams projected from the ship's wingtips that took out a capital ship in one shot (not exploded, but clear damage all along the length of the ship that took it out of the fight). If they don't dial the design back somehow in future episodes (by making the prototype's weapon unique, for example), it will be difficult to understand how it takes the Alliance so long to beat the Empire.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on Rebels can be summed up in one meme.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some suggestions for the ship in question. Keep in mind this is a prototype and has many severe issues. It is in no way ready for mass production in 5-4 BBY. Further more this is a unique ship and is probably the only one is existence at the time of the episode.

I also included prototype two-seat B-Wing prototypes from Strikeforce: Shantipole for completeness.

Hope these help and your able to use them.

Quote:
"Blade Wing" Prototype starfighter

Craft: Blade Wing
Type: Heavy assault starfighter prototype
Era: Dark Times (~4 BBY)
Affiliation: Quarrie, Alliance to Restore the Republic
Source: Star Wars Rebels S02E06, wookieepedia, stats by +Oliver Queen, suggestions by Geoff Loggans
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 16.9 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting: Blade Wing
Crew: 1; gunners: 1
Crew Skill: Starfighter piloting 5D, starship gunnery 4D+2, starship shields 3D+2.
Cargo Capacity: 45 kilograms
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: Not for sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: None
Nav Computer: Yes (limited to 2 jumps)
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
-- Passive: 30/0D
-- Scan: 50/1D
-- Search: 75/2D
-- Focus: 4/4D+1
Weapons:
High Intensity Blaster Cannon
-- Fire Arc: Front (weapon pod)
-- Scale: Starship
-- Skill: Starship gunnery
-- Fire Control: 1D
-- Space Range: 1-3/12/25
-- Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
-- Damage: 7D
-- Note: Located in weapon pod
3 Medium Ion Cannons
-- Fire Arc: Front
-- Space Range: 1-3/7/15
-- Atmosphere Range: 100-300/700/3.6 km
-- Damage: 4D
-- Notes: wing mounted ion cannons are fire-linked, third cannon in weapon pod)
Proton Torpedo Launcher
-- Space Range: 1/3/7
-- Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700
-- Ammo: 4 torpedoes
-- Damage: 9D

Game Notes:
-- Gyroscopic Command Pod: sophisticated but fragile. If the targeting laser is not operational reduce all fire control codes by -1D. When the B-Wing is heavily damaged, a roll of 1-2 (used to determine which system is damaged) means the stabilization system has failed. Reduce all fire control codes by -1D and -2 Move. These penalties are cumulative. The Command Pod can be detached from the rest of the ship and could be ejected into space and support atmospheric reentry.
-- Weapons Pod: mounts a single high intensity blaster cannon and medium ion cannon. The pod requires a gunner to use the weapons.
-- Multi-Weapon Array: This unique weapon system increases the weapon damage by routing energy flow through the hyperspace engine and adjusting the ships energy weapons wave output through a modulator/targeting laser located under the cockpit. Deploying the array requires one round, does 6D damage capital scale damage and has a RoF 2. There is a known issue when the array is used. An energy cascade overloads the hyperspace motivator making a jump to hyperspace impossible. Anytime the array is fired and a 1 or 2 comes up on the Wild Die the array system will short out. This will make all weapons inoperable except for the proton torpedo launcher.

Quote:
A/SF-00 Series 1 "B-WING" Prototype Starfighter
Craft: Slayn & Korpil B-Wing
Type: Heavy assault starfighter
Era: Rebellion (~0 ABY)
Affiliation: Alliance to Restore the Republic
Source: Strikeforce: Shantipole by WEG, stats by +Oliver Queen
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 16.9 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting: B-wing
Crew: 2
Cargo Capacity: 45 kilograms
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: Not for sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: None
Nav Computer: Yes (limited to 2 jumps)
Maneuverability: 1D+1
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull: 3D
Shields: 1D+1
Sensors:
-- Passive: 30/0D
-- Scan: 50/1D
-- Search: 75/2D
-- Focus: 4/4D+1
Weapons:
Heavy Laser Cannon
-- Space Range: 1-3/12/25
-- Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
-- Damage: 7D
3 Light Ion Cannons
-- Fire Control: 3D
-- Space Range: 1-3/7/15
-- Atmosphere Range: 100-300/700/3.6 km
-- Damage: 4D
-- Notes: wing-mounted ion cannons are fire-linked
2 Proton Torpedo Launchers
-- Fire Control: 2D
-- Space Range: 1/3/7
-- Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700
-- Ammo: 8 torpedoes
-- Damage: 8D

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:54 pm; edited 5 times in total
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the superlaser mode, why say it ignores scale adjustment instead of just saying it's a capital-scale weapon? Do you mean it to still only do 5d+2 to a starfighter-scale ship?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
On the superlaser mode, why say it ignores scale adjustment instead of just saying it's a capital-scale weapon? Do you mean it to still only do 5d+2 to a starfighter-scale ship?

I do not like to refer to it as "super laser mode" because that is not really what it is. If I said it was capital scale damage, then it could fire on another starfighter scale ship for 5D+2+6D = 11D+2 damage which I think is ridiculous.

I mean it does 5D+2 damage to Starfighter and Capital scale ships with no increase or decrease for scale difference. It ignores the scale when firing on capital scale ships.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
If I said it was capital scale damage, then it could fire on another starfighter scale ship for 5D+2+6D = 11D+2 damage which I think is ridiculous.

However, if Scale is applied normally, it would be at -6D to hit any Starfighter-Scale target.

nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it what you want, but a weapon that punches right through capital scale shields and digs a trench through capital scale armor down the length of a capital scale ship should tear a starfighter or freighter in half.

I agree that 11d+2 is ridiculous (though less so with the 6d to hit deficit), but it's consistent with the power level displayed in Rebels, which is what I think is ridiculous.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
Call it what you want, but a weapon that punches right through capital scale shields and digs a trench through capital scale armor down the length of a capital scale ship should tear a starfighter or freighter in half.

As for shields, that can be explained away as there were no shields in that arc. I know its sort of a lame excuse but it does fit within the mechanics.

As for a trench, I thought I saw it fire three times in the capital ship. I know I counted at least two if not three explosions. As for actual damage to the ship, we do not know the extent. The ship did indeed take damage from a starfighter. I think that was Kallus was commenting about. I do not think the capital ship was taken "out" by a single grouping of shots.

I agree that in the episode it did appear that when the weapon was used it did enough damage to blast a starship scale ship apart in one shot. As denoted during the first run of the Blade Wing.

I am always hesitant to allow weapons or ships that can kill in one shot without some GM control and over site. I am unsure what the answer is in this discussion.

As powerful as this ship is, it must have some severe design flaws because it is never developed further in its design runs.

Quote:
I agree that 11d+2 is ridiculous (though less so with the 6d to hit deficit), but it's consistent with the power level displayed in Rebels, which is what I think is ridiculous.

Okay so I am unclear what your contention is then. Are you saying that the mechanics do not accurately encapsulate what took place in the episode? Are you saying that what took place during the episode was over the top silly? If so, then why are you bothering to convert it at all? And if you thought was took place was too much then why advocate that the mechanics are not correct?

Seriously I am confused. I am certainly open to your suggestions. I just posted some basic stats and invited people to comment. So comment and make some constructive observations and suggestions.
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it weren't for the description of the composite beam weapon, I'd just write it off to Hera using the stock B-Wing's heavy laser cannon combined with the RoE optional damage rules, the Pirates & Privateers precision targeting rules and spending a Force Point for a spectacular damage result at a critical moment in the story.

nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise some fair points, shootingwomprats, on what we see and don't see in the episode.

You nailed the point of my poorly written post: I am in fact just saying that what took place during the episode was "over-the-top silly." But I am not trying to convert this thing (I'm not the OP).

Your writeup does a good job of limiting the power level but does so at the cost of consistency. This is just an observation that it's impossible to balance between the two here. But that's not a criticism of your work, it's just a product of the writers of Rebels deciding the B-Wing prototype should have a starfighter-scale super laser.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the scene in question, and the ship being attacked is an Arquitens-Class Light Cruiser, which is more accurately a Corvette. Since Corvettes are on the lower end of the Capital Ship spectrum, it becomes somewhat more believable that a starfighter with an experimental weapon could inflict enough damage to disable it.

EDIT: Still a ridiculous scene, though...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: