The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combining piloting skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combining piloting skills Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Combining piloting skills Reply with quote

Has anyone combined Starfighter piloting and Space Transports into one skill? I can't figure out why they're two different skills, and I'm thinking of combining them at my next session.

Thoughts?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing how flying a fighter jet does not mean one is equally good at flying an airliner, i DO feel they should stay separate.

I liken it to Starfighter piloting is being skilled in driving sports cars, while space transport ops is driving 18-wheelers..
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your argument Garhkal, and I agree, in part. But I could also see those as specializations under a general skill.

Mechanical
- Starship Piloting
- Starfighter
- Freighters
- Yachts

The basic skills are similar, a pilot should be able to sit in an X-Wing or the Millenium Falcon and do basic maneuvers. Or to use your example Garhkal, a pilot has a series of basic skills: takeoff/landing, an understanding of lift/drag, their IFR, communicating with ground control/vectors, before they can specialize in flying fighters or airliners.

This would allow people to get to 4D-5D in Starship piloting, a professional level, and then specialize. I tend to be fairly strict with character points, I tend to give out 5-10 after an adventure, not a session. I expect my players to use two or three during the adventure to improve rolls. This means that my players need to choose Starfighter or Space Transports from the beginning and stick with it.

I don't want to be more liberal with character points because everywhere else it seems to be working out.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work as a truck driver, and with four years experience under my belt, I think garhkal has it right. Driving a truck may seem superficially similar to driving a car, but there is a world of a difference practically speaking. It requires a completely different set of instincts, and just because someone is good at driving a car is no guarantee they can transfer that same skill to driving a big rig. Not without a lot of training, at least.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Combining piloting skills Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Has anyone combined Starfighter piloting and Space Transports into one skill? I can't figure out why they're two different skills, and I'm thinking of combining them at my next session.

Thoughts?

For the cinematic reality of Star Wars, I think combining them is just fine. That's the way it was in 1e. Anakin would no doubt have a very high Mechanical, but most of us would agree that pod racing should be a separate skill from flying starships. Anakin got pointers on spaceship operation in the cockpit of a space transport that he later applied to flying a starfighter. I used the think they should be separate for the same real world reasons you guys cite, but I have recombined them. I like to think that starfighter pilots in general have a higher spaceship operation skill than transport pilots, because it makes more sense to me that an ace starfighter pilot would also be a pretty good transport pilot, but an adequate space transport pilot might still be toast in a starfighter. So in my mind it is more of a difference is skill level than skill.

If you need more rationalization, then the galaxy's technological level is over 25,000 years more advanced then ours and they've made great advancements is modularizing technology and making it much more user friendly, so much that the differences between driving a semi truck and small sedan are much more inconsequential, hand waive and done. Keep in mind the system still has skill specializations to fine tune character skill differences.

I do still think that capital ship operation should be a separate skill and I made it an advanced skill of the combo starship skill, but lately I've been rethinking advanced skills and may do away with them. Just not sure about that one yet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, your input inspired me to what I think is the balance point:

Vehicle difficulty levels!

Keep it one skill, but instead of balancing it out with advanced skills for fighters and freighters, just up the difficulty by one or two if they aren't specialized in the craft type.

Example:
Frank has Starship Piloting 4D and is specialized in Starfighter at 6D. He hops behind the controls of the Tramp Freighter Nerf Love. Now piloting tasks are one difficulty level higher then someone who is specialized in Freighters. So flying through a crowded space dock goes from easy to moderate.

Or something like that. Just came up with the idea.

Weapons have difficulty levels, why not starships.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be a 2nd level of specialty to show someone who say focuses exclusively say on Y-wing star fighters, or YT-1220 freighters?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I work as a truck driver, and with four years experience under my belt, I think garhkal has it right. Driving a truck may seem superficially similar to driving a car, but there is a world of a difference practically speaking. It requires a completely different set of instincts, and just because someone is good at driving a car is no guarantee they can transfer that same skill to driving a big rig. Not without a lot of training, at least.

This may be nuance, but I would say that driving a big rig is more of an advanced skill that stems off of the basic driving skill. When I was in the military, my unit sent me to "transportation" school. It is taught by truck drivers. It is a 40-hour course which qualifies the student to drive any vehicle that is not a tractor/trailer (its a class B licence, basically-- everything including 56-passenger busses, and straight/box trucks.. I forget what the weight limit was, though).

Anyway, other than the pretrip checks and controls for things other than driving, I didn't feel that the skill set was entirely different.

I could see class A type vehicles being a different or advanced skill, for sure. But not class B, which I think falls into spacetransports as well. As for a fighter being analogous to a sports/racecar, I think its the same: driving a racecar on the street would require the same skillset as driving a sportscar on the street. Likewise, a person can take their sportscar to a racetrack and drive on the track without any formal racecar training. Racing is an approach to driving, not a different skill altogether.

If someone knows how to dogfight in a transport, Id reason that they can use the same priciples in any other craft of the same scale (at least) with little or no issues, other than the capabilities of the craft being better or worse.

Similarly, a racecar driver could evade police in a regular car because his skill is equally applicable to any car he drives.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major difference between Class B and Class A is the Combination Vehicles endorsement, which allows you to drive full-sized tractor trailers, which is a big step up from driving buses or straight-trucks. The fact that the tractor-trailer bends in the middle is the most complicated part, and just being trained in the basics of driving it is the first step. After some consideration, I think your Class B vehicle comparison is more accurate, as the main difference between starfighters and space transports is the size. However, it is important to remember that simply being trained to operate a vehicle does not equate to being fully comfortable operating it. When you first start out operating a commercial vehicle, you have to be consciously thinking about all the different details and differences from driving a normal car, like remembering to turn wide so you don't scrape something on the inside of a turn, or keeping an eye out for low clearances at bridges and such. It takes months of constant use to develop any sort of familiarity, which is what I was referring to above when I talked about a completely different set of instincts.

So yes, there is definitely some skill overlap, and commercial vehicles are required to obey many of the same rules as the little cars. But just being trained how to operate a big truck does not automatically make you good at it.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
However, it is important to remember that simply being trained to operate a vehicle does not equate to being fully comfortable operating it. When you first start out operating a commercial vehicle, you have to be consciously thinking about all the different details and differences from driving a normal car, like remembering to turn wide so you don't scrape something on the inside of a turn, or keeping an eye out for low clearances at bridges and such. It takes months of constant use to develop any sort of familiarity, which is what I was referring to above when I talked about a completely different set of instincts.

So yes, there is definitely some skill overlap, and commercial vehicles are required to obey many of the same rules as the little cars. But just being trained how to operate a big truck does not automatically make you good at it.

And that's a good argument for applying a temporary unfamiliarity penalty if you want that level of realism in your space opera game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And that's a good argument for applying a temporary unfamiliarity penalty if you want that level of realism in your space opera game.

It's a grey area, IMO. For my part, having it be two separate skills based on the same attribute has the equivalent effect. If the player can convincingly argue that the two skills are sufficiently close, I might be willing to offer a small starting bonus representing the degree of skillset crossover.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The major difference between Class B and Class A is the Combination Vehicles endorsement, which allows you to drive full-sized tractor trailers, which is a big step up from driving buses or straight-trucks. The fact that the tractor-trailer bends in the middle is the most complicated part, and just being trained in the basics of driving it is the first step. After some consideration, I think your Class B vehicle comparison is more accurate, as the main difference between starfighters and space transports is the size. However, it is important to remember that simply being trained to operate a vehicle does not equate to being fully comfortable operating it. When you first start out operating a commercial vehicle, you have to be consciously thinking about all the different details and differences from driving a normal car, like remembering to turn wide so you don't scrape something on the inside of a turn, or keeping an eye out for low clearances at bridges and such. It takes months of constant use to develop any sort of familiarity, which is what I was referring to above when I talked about a completely different set of instincts.

Naturally,I defer. When I drove my U-Haul with my car in-tow, I definitely had issues parking/backing it. I "knew" what to do, but the spacial considerations were unfamiliar.

I didn't have much trouble getting comfortable with the busses: maybe a day or two... though I had some experiience with delivery trucks prior to, so that could be a factor.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:

It's a grey area, IMO. For my part, having it be two separate skills based on the same attribute has the equivalent effect. If the player can convincingly argue that the two skills are sufficiently close, I might be willing to offer a small starting bonus representing the degree of skillset crossover.

The issue I have is that people have personal transports (Padme could pilot a space transport... which, given our current analogy, would be analogous to a "car." ) If a starfigjter is analogous to a sportscar, then Id say that a basic transport is analogous to an SUV or pick-up truck. The Millenium Falcon might be analogous to a cargo truck or even a commercial vehicle.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major NPCs may not be the best example, as major players in the films are more likely to have training (and dice) in a wide variety of different skills. Someone like Padme could potentially be cross-trained in a variety of piloting skills.

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Major NPCs may not be the best example, as major players in the films are more likely to have training (and dice) in a wide variety of different skills. Someone like Padme could potentially be cross-trained in a variety of piloting skills.

I'm pretty sure she had starfighter piloting as well, remember the landing pad scene at the beginning of AotC..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: