The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Recoil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Recoil Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rake
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Recoil Reply with quote

I have never used recoil in a game. How do you use it in your game?

Thanks.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there is recoil in the rules as written, but it's easy to simulate recoil by using progressive penalties based upon the number of shots fired.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the reason you want to use recoil?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What is the reason you want to use recoil?

Yeah I also find this is a touch odd. I mean you could always just assume that the MAP includes recoil. It seems to me like too much crunch. Same with the discussion on when does ammo run out.

In my games, I don't worry much about how much ammo people have. They have enough until such time as plot or a Complication says otherwise.

Keep in mind, Star Wars allows the GM a huge amount of latitude when running the game. Its meant to be run narratively, flowing from scene to scene. If it is dramatically appropriate or adds fun to the scene it happens. If it is important to the overarching direction or leads into the next scene, it happens. There is no need for a roll, no need for a slide rule and possible calculus. That is one of the true beauties of the system that I think novice GMs miss .
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there is such a thing as too much real-world detail. IMO using recoil in a game that is supposed to be broad brushstrokes crosses that threashold. I just don't think the system was designed with that sort of detail in mind. I'm not sure that it adds much to a cinematic game.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true, however our esteemed colleague asked how we do it. Since we don't, we could always gin up some quick house rules in medias res. Smile

If I wanted to use recoil, here's how I'd do it:

Recoil is a force (not the Force, just a generic physical force) that opposes Strength. Ranged weapons roll their recoil value against the shooter's Strength after the first shot. The first one's a gimme, but if you take multiple shots in a round, the recoil comes into play.

Anything inflicting 4D damage or less (blaster pistols, most firearms) rolls 2D recoil against Strength, so the average being can use them.

5D damage (blaster rifles, heavy blaster pistols, etc.) inflict 3D recoil versus Strength.

6D damage (light repeaters, Morellian Enforcers, etc.) inflict 4D recoil versus the shooter's Strength.

7D damage and above (Medium & Heavy Repeaters) inflict 5D recoil versus Strength.

Bipods (or similar bracing) subtract 1D from the weapon's recoil, as does firing from a prone position. Tripods (heavy repeater) and gyro-stabilized pintle mounts (ala Aliens) subract 3D of recoil.

Why do blasters incur recoil? Simple. They shoot plasma, which has mass, at considerable velocity, thus incurring an equal force in the opposite direction (f=ma). Repeaters recoil more due to the assumed higher rate of fire.

Anyway, that's my off the cuff recoil system. Hope that helps.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Too true, however our esteemed colleague asked how we do it. Since we don't, we could always gin up some quick house rules in medias res. Smile

If I wanted to use recoil, here's how I'd do it:

Recoil is a force (not the Force, just a generic physical force) that opposes Strength. Ranged weapons roll their recoil value against the shooter's Strength after the first shot. The first one's a gimme, but if you take multiple shots in a round, the recoil comes into play.

Anything inflicting 4D damage or less (blaster pistols, most firearms) rolls 2D recoil against Strength, so the average being can use them.

5D damage (blaster rifles, heavy blaster pistols, etc.) inflict 3D recoil versus Strength.

6D damage (light repeaters, Morellian Enforcers, etc.) inflict 4D recoil versus the shooter's Strength.

7D damage and above (Medium & Heavy Repeaters) inflict 5D recoil versus Strength.

Bipods (or similar bracing) subtract 1D from the weapon's recoil, as does firing from a prone position. Tripods (heavy repeater) and gyro-stabilized pintle mounts (ala Aliens) subract 3D of recoil.

Why do blasters incur recoil? Simple. They shoot plasma, which has mass, at considerable velocity, thus incurring an equal force in the opposite direction (f=ma). Repeaters recoil more due to the assumed higher rate of fire.

Anyway, that's my off the cuff recoil system. Hope that helps.

And what happens when the recoil roll exceeds the strength roll?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Recoil Reply with quote

Rake wrote:
I have never used recoil in a game. How do you use it in your game?

Thanks.

For me, i use recoil for firearms, but have been wanting to add in a recoil value for other weapons such as blasters..
Basically it adds to the difficulty to shoot someone.
With firearms, you get 3 possible ratings for a weapon.
Single shot (multiples of if possible)
Burst shot
Full auto..

Quote:
And what happens when the recoil roll exceeds the strength roll?

Treat it as a missed shot, or they can't fire any more that round. OR like i do with certain weapons, damage to the shooter.
Rake
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't think I was as clear as I could have been in the initial post. Basically, I have been ignoring fire rate for weapons and allowing the players to fire as many times as they want in a round with the -1D for each initial action. So, obviously, it seems like I need to be using fire rate. I have seen people discussing recoil on this forum and thought it would be something to address the situation. Also, do you all use fire rate?
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would energy based weapons even have any recoil in the first place? I would think recoil would only apply to projectial weapons and even then I would think it would be next to nothing since the level of technology could make recoil almost nonexistent in projectile weapons.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
But would energy based weapons even have any recoil in the first place? I would think recoil would only apply to projectial weapons and even then I would think it would be next to nothing since the level of technology could make recoil almost nonexistent in projectile weapons.

Rake wrote:
Basically, I have been ignoring fire rate for weapons and allowing the players to fire as many times as they want in a round with the -1D for each initial action. So, obviously, it seems like I need to be using fire rate. I have seen people discussing recoil on this forum and thought it would be something to address the situation. Also, do you all use fire rate?

The way Harrison Ford performed Han shooting his heavy blaster in A New Hope makes it appear to have recoil. So there at least wasn't any firm direction from Lucas to not shoot that way when they filmed. But I also wonder how much of a recoil effect blasters would really have. So a happy medium might be apply and enforce reasonable fire rates for all weapons, assuming that the recoil effect is mainly a factor in limiting the total number of shots in each round.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that I've ever used fire rates for anything but single-shot weapons, and let MAPs take care of the rest.

Whoops. Looks like I forgot the last part. Yes, if the recoil exceeds the Strength roll, the shooter is done for that round. If the recoil beats Strength by 11 or more, then an automatic mishap occurs, including a weapon jam or dropped weapon.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:

When Han fired in all 3 films, he sure seemed to have a recoil. Same with some of the storm troopers, who reacted as if their rifles had some.. Maybe that MIGHT have been poor acting though as they expected a recoil to be present..

Also, there is this weapon..
Exotac Arms Predator
Model: Exotac Arms EXP-7(a) Predator Blaster Rifle
Type: Precision hunting blaster rifle
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster: blaster rifle
Ammo: 8
Cost: 7,000
Availability: 4, X
Fire Rate: 1
Fire Control: 2D (dual-laser targeting beams)
Range: 3-30/80/350
Damage: 7D
Game Notes: Each time this blaster id fired, the user must
make a Moderate Strength roll to contain the recoil and be
able to fire it next round.

Source: Gundark’s Fantastic Technology (page 33)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

The way Harrison Ford performed Han shooting his heavy blaster in A New Hope makes it appear to have recoil. So there at least wasn't any firm direction from Lucas to not shoot that way when they filmed. But I also wonder how much of a recoil effect blasters would really have. So a happy medium might be apply and enforce reasonable fire rates for all weapons, assuming that the recoil effect is mainly a factor in limiting the total number of shots in each round.

If we were going on film-based evidence, the weapons would have about as much recoil as a weapon loaded with only blanks. But, that's because the props were all modified fireable weapons loaded with blanks.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true. I remember seeing spent cartridges ejected from the "blasters" on the Death Star.

Props to Garkhal for unearthing WEG arcana on this topic. Those WEG guys thought of just about everything at one time or another, including the SW version of a Barrett M82A1. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: